Focal Clears?

Redtide

Anybody own a pair of these?

I'm thinking of buying some. I'm looking for something less lean sounding than my HD 800s. I value comfort and tonality. I don't put much value on soundstaging. I don't like big leather pads like the Audeze headphones.

I listened to some Clears and Elears today and preferred the Clears because they had smoother mids and tighter bass than the Elears.

My predicament is that someone in town has some Elears for sale second hand so I could get them for almost half price. But I'm leaning towards just getting the Clears because they suit my ears the best and eventually you forget what you paid.

I havent heard them as of yet,looking forward to CanJam NYC....However lots of folks are praising them highly over on the other site.
FWIW I find the Elears to be quite over-hyped.The Utopia,on the other hand...wow!

I got a chance to listen to the Clears over the Thanksgiving holiday. One of my "audio friends" and his wife came by and he had the phones with him. First, they are nice looking headphones and the case and cables are pretty sharp. We connected them to a couple of different HAs and listened to a variety of music. We used the short cable and connected it directly to the Kann player. Those things must be pretty sensitive - it didn't take much for them to be loud. All in all, the sound was quite good and the comfort was excellent. Listening for 2 or 3 hours is in no way conclusive, but first brush makes me think you won't be disappointed.
Have you listened to the HD-800 S ? Like you, I thought the low end was a little anemic on the original 800. The "S" version seems to have solved some of that and they seem much more balanced now. I've only had a chance to listen to those for a couple of hours, so no real conclusions. They are on my list to get a pair to audition early next year.

Anyway, the Clears will be a treat, I'm sure. And you're right - you'll forget what you paid and be glad you got them.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom