Focal Owners Thread

Speaking of cleaning the speakers... I noticed the other day while wiping off the gloss finish on top of the 806Vswhile spinning some music that I get some pretty nasty static pops through the speakers if I do so. I also have a habit of placing my record sleeves on top of the speakers while I change records, and the same static pop occurred when I moved the recently spin record closer to the speaker. I have done this in the past with other speakers without any issue. Is this something I should be worried about, or should I just get out of these two habits?

Ok! I have just bought them! The set is
iMac (FLAC)-Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100-NAD C320BEE-Focal 705

We will see!
By the way, any suggestion about spikes?

My flooring is carpet and I am using the S700 speaker stands. I am not using any spikes with mine as the stands are sitting nicely on the carpet.

I just picked up the 906 Aria's last night. I spun some vinyl last night and I am very impressed with them. They are a much bigger speaker than they are. Alot of depth to them and very well rounded. Excited for the weekend!

Congrats! Even with my lowly NAD C320BEE, they absolutely sing. Can't wait to see how they sound with an upgraded amp.

Speaking of cleaning the speakers... I noticed the other day while wiping off the gloss finish on top of the 806Vswhile spinning some music that I get some pretty nasty static pops through the speakers if I do so. I also have a habit of placing my record sleeves on top of the speakers while I change records, and the same static pop occurred when I moved the recently spin record closer to the speaker. I have done this in the past with other speakers without any issue. Is this something I should be worried about, or should I just get out of these two habits?
Sounds like the humidity in your home is very low. An inexpensive humidifier goes a long way in reducing static and making winter air more comfortable.

Listened to a set of Focal Electra 1028be's today. What a great speaker. After hearing them I don't understand why these are not more popular. They were very smooth and seemed like a speaker you could listen to all day, perhaps lacking just a smidgen of detail you get with some other speakers. I compared them today to Dynaudio C1, Dynaudio Focus 260 and Dali Rubicon 6. I could easily own any of those speakers but liked the Focal's the best.

A little over a year ago, when I was doing my run through speakers for purchase, I listened to the Aria 926 and 936 speakers(iirc--the new series with Flax cones). The 926 were excellent speakers, the runner up to the eventual pick of my Triton 2s. The 936 were clearly a wee bit better in most respects, but the price jump seemed a bit much. Still a truly fine loudspeaker and were I wanting to jump to the $3800-plus pricetag I might have found the justification. The Focals had the absolute best soundstage of any of the speakers I listened to, so if that is core to your holy grail, these are your speakers. I was quite impressed, overall, and if those mid-price towers are any indication, the entire Focal range is superb. Didn't even wish to venture a listen to the top of line models(Utopia??), for fear of ruining all future expectations for the speakers I was willing to pay for.....

Listened to a set of Focal Electra 1028be's today. What a great speaker. After hearing them I don't understand why these are not more popular. They were very smooth and seemed like a speaker you could listen to all day, perhaps lacking just a smidgen of detail you get with some other speakers. I compared them today to Dynaudio C1, Dynaudio Focus 260 and Dali Rubicon 6. I could easily own any of those speakers but liked the Focal's the best.

I certainly love mine.

You should listen to them with a Devialet amp and SAM enabled. Gobs of new found bottom end from those little 6.5" drivers.

Back in my younger days, I never would give a second thought to owning a pair of bookshelf speakers. Our living room is 11ft wide x 14ft deep, and the 806Vs fill the room up nicely. They provide enough low frequency that I do not need a sub. These are the most natural sounding speaker I have owned.

I thought about going up the Focal chain, but I am happy for now. :music:

Dr Tone
Can I ask how big of a room you have the 1028's in?
My room is 12' x 36' and I am wondering if I should get 1038's instead. Speakers will be on the short wall

Looking at the specs for the 1028 and 1038, there really is not that much difference. Frequency response is 1Hz difference, sensitivity is 1.5dB, and recommended amp power is 100 watts. When the differences are this low, can a human really tell the difference between the two? The biggest difference is in the weight of the speakers. The 1028 weigh 72.6lbs, where the 1038 weighs a whopping 112.2lbs.

Beercan... The 1028s should suit your needs. However, the choice is always up to the buyer to determine what is best for their room and system. If you can find a dealer who offers a 30 day home trial, this would be your best option, unless they will allow you to bring both pair home to audition. I'm not sure if this is feasible.

Dr Tone
Can I ask how big of a room you have the 1028's in?
My room is 12' x 36' and I am wondering if I should get 1038's instead. Speakers will be on the short wall

If you have them on the short wall you'll be sitting fairly close to them so 1028s should be fine.

My room is 20'x25' but I have them off to one side because the entrance way is off to the left. I have them about 9' ft apart. I'm also on my main wood floor which helps bring the bass out.

If you are on concrete you might want to consider 1038's instead.

The 1038s might not reach much lower but they do have more bass impact from the bigger drivers and larger cabinets.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input.
Room is a 2nd floor bonus with hard floors. I imagine I will be about 18' from them when listening. I want good bass but I don't want it to have to much boom and overpower the space.

The 1028 LF is 34Hz where the 1038 is 33Hz. Only 1Hz difference, I don't think you could hear 1Hz difference. Also, there is a big jump in price between both. The 1028s are $4,700/pr, and the 1038s are $12,999/pr.

Considering one octave down would be 17 Hz, I'd say you're correct in your saying that you wouldn't be able to really hear the difference in low frequency extension.

The 1028 LF is 34Hz where the 1038 is 33Hz. Only 1Hz difference, I don't think you could hear 1Hz difference. Also, there is a big jump in price between both. The 1028s are $4,700/pr, and the 1038s are $12,999/pr.

1028s are $9,000/pr.

If I was considering the 1038BEs, I'd also consider the Diablo Utopias and adding a sub if need be.

OK I bit the bullet and got the 1038's, for a very good price I might add. Basically made it a no brainer, between the 2 that is.

Congrats on picking up the 1038s. I would love to hear how these sound. There is a break in period but not sure how many hours that is. Please let us know your impressions of these speakers. :music:

OK I bit the bullet and got the 1038's, for a very good price I might add. Basically made it a no brainer, between the 2 that is.

Congrats!!!

You might want to look at getting some outriggers for them for more stability and easy levelling more than anything.

http://www.soundocity.com/

I hope your room has some sounding proofing to get the most out of the speakers. Let us know how you set them up for distance from walls, in between the speakers and sitting position.

Dr Tone
Thanks for the advice, I think I will order them.
Do you find the 1028's unstable without them?

The room right now is bare, I move in early April. I am going to do sound treatments but that is in the future.

Dr Tone
Thanks for the advice, I think I will order them.
Do you find the 1028's unstable without them?

The room right now is bare, I move in early April. I am going to do sound treatments but that is in the future.

I think they can be more stable, I wouldn't want them to be knocked over accidentally. I'm on carpet so easy levelling was important to me as well.

Back
Top Bottom