Focal Owners Thread

Hey, KDAC, thanks so much! The color took a _long_ time to figure out, and I took a whole lot of time, too, with the actual painting. I used Benjamin Moore, and the color is Blue Lagoon. I had considered using their Old Pickup Truck Blue, which is equally "warm," but lighter, and in the end it just seemed not masculine enough, if that makes sense—it looked kind of like a Regency color. My wife agreed, and she wanted the living room to be a space that I'd enjoy as much as she did. So I took the Old Pickup Truck Blue and went one darker on the Benjamin Moore color wheel. The guy who sold me the paint thought I was nuts, but when he saw pictures of the end result he was so excited that he gave me a bunch of sweatshirts and hats with his store logo that he usually gives out to professionals. That felt awesome. Everyone remarks on the color's inner glow, and it really does seem luminous, with light shining from the inside. And it has different aspects to it depending on the time of day. The hardwood floors took some work for sure, especially after I stripped the walls and, despite every precaution, the stripper got under the two layers of protective plastic sheeting I had laid down. Doh! When I saw the bubbling of all that polyurethane, the steam coming out of my ears could have powered a medium-sized city. :) That was a good lesson in keeping cool. In the end, it just took some extra work ... and in the grand scheme of things, it was small stuff. The closet was really fun to put together, and I was excited by the open feel it has (and I'm glad that the components are next to the games: whenever I put on an LP, I'm reminded of what other fun I could have while relaxing at the end of the day). And the room generally, yes, totally, totally comfy and cozy, with a super comfortable, big couch—and those rugs, yep, precisely right, repurposed to absorb the reflections. The only thing I'd add about the whole experience is that it really didn't cost much at all. My wife and I live modestly on one salary, and we have to watch our budget carefully. But with a little bit of effort, and patience, and lots of good advice from discussion blogs like this one, and with some of the art you see on the walls found at garage sales or given to us by friends, it all came together—and I had some of the most fun I've had in years doing it all. Stringing the speaker cable through the crawl space was a special thrill. :) And now: there's more ahead! :)

New Focal owner here. Picked up some Aria 905's on close out. Very impressive and work much better in this room than the Dynaudio's I was using. (Dyn's had way to much bass in this small room) The Focal's are designed to work in a small room's with boundaries and sound much more balanced.
1TdoPmo.jpg

ZRlp86b.jpg

Xhj1INc.jpg

spYfuW3.jpg

JGgUtLN.jpg

I have an embarrassing dumb question to ask. My 807's have posts with a hole in the side of it.

Uhhh, for Banana plugs right?

:(

I was not aware of this thread until now I guess because it's a older thread.

I found a pair of JM Lab Cobalt 816S last Fall or Winter along with a Focal CC800S center channel at a Salvation Army Grand Opening. Very happy with them and I just recently took the 816's out of HT service and paired them up with a Pioneer Elite combo. I initially thought they were a bit shy on Bass but I think that was in part because I was used to listening to them with a sub. After bi-wiring them there was a noticeable improvement in the lower end.

Picked up a set of Aria 905's couple of months and really like em. Running Pandora thru my computer>audioquest Jitterbug>audioquest Dragonfly Red>Yamaha C-65>Yamaha M-80. Splitting from the preamp to a pair of SVS sb-1000,. Sounds pretty damn good!

Was at a store that had a set of Focal Kanta's set up. Nice looking and great sounding but I know I can't afford the 11k they were asking.

Dunno if it really counts, but I have a pair of Super Birds as fronts in my HT setup. I purchased them for my main system, but they really don't seem to work, at least for me, in that aspect. They have a very laid back and neutral sound that I suppose should be strived for, but it just isn't me. I had such a hard time returning them that I wall mounted them in my living room. They've opened up over time, and I think, in the role they are serving, they are actually quite a bit better than I gave them credit for upon my initial audition. They seem to be very mid-forward, which I guess I'm just not used to. My Mirage Nanosat rears and Omnisat V2CC seem to bring out the highs that the Focal lack, while the Focal pushes the mids that the Mirage can't quite nail. I know mixing my fronts stage is a no-no, but it all seems complimentary. I suppose, knowing what I know now, that I would buy them again for the 1/2 price deal I got. But only if I knew what role they'd be playing. They don't seem like a general purpose speaker in my opinion.

Trying to source a tweeter for some Chorus V 726v.
Any help appreciated

If you want new replacement OEM tweeters any Focal dealer should be able to help you. I purchased my used 1027be speakers online from Overture Audio. So far, I have needed to replace two items, a mid-range speaker (replaced free under warranty) and a portion of a speaker base (I messed up and blew out a large portion of base holding speaker spike). Overture came through in both cases. The replacement speaker was drop shipped directly from Focal. If your local Focal dealer can't help then maybe Overture can. https://www.overtureav.com/

Back
Top Bottom