Focal Owners Thread

Tha
If you want new replacement OEM tweeters any Focal dealer should be able to help you. I purchased my used 1027be speakers online from Overture Audio. So far, I have needed to replace two items, a mid-range speaker (replaced free under warranty) and a portion of a speaker base (I messed up and blew out a large portion of base holding speaker spike). Overture came through in both cases. The replacement speaker was drop shipped directly from Focal. If your local Focal dealer can't help then maybe Overture can. https://www.overtureav.com/

Thanks JRS, I've found a Focal dealer on line and they are only just down the road from me
I'll drop in and see them in the next few days

Happy owner of 936's here with some home brewed Pass power behind them. I love those things. It's always fun to throw something new at them just because they do so much so well.

Anybody have an aftermarket stand solution for the Aria 905s? The ones Focal sells are $299 so if there's a cheaper option I'd love to know about it.

Thanks, chris

Anyone go from the Chorus V's series to the Aria? I have 807V's and overall like the sound although the tweeter can be trashy. I'd like something with the same amount of bass if not more and maybe more refined top end.

I should have kept my 1008 Be II's. Best stand mounted speaker I've owned, to date. Moved up to them from a set of Chorus (forgotten the model # - bright red - great looking speakers). Have just recently(after 9 mon of fiddling) gotten the Canton Ref 9Ks to sound about as good. The 1008 Be II is a terrific speaker. If I can't "finally" get these Ref 9Ks dialed-in I'll likely start looking around for a pair of Sopra No.1s. I've seen 1008 Be IIs going for the mid-$2K range and are well worth it.

Just ordered a pair of Focal Clear headphones. headphone.com has the Utopia, Clear and Elear on sale with a free headphone stand and free shipping.

I'm looking at picking up a pair of Focal speakers and could use some input. They would be in a 12x14 dedicated room with acoustic treatments and used with McIntosh solid state electronics (non-autoformer amp). I'm trying to decide between a couple of options - Aria 906 with stereo subs or larger floorstanding speakers from the current Chorus line and no subs.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

The 900 series sounds vastly better than the 700 series. I wouldn't bother with subs when you can get 926's for about the same price .

My room is 10X13 and treated. I'm using the Electra 1007s along with stereo sealed box SVS subs. Once dialed in, the presentation has been fantastic.

My room is 10X13 and treated. I'm using the Electra 1007s along with stereo sealed box SVS subs. Once dialed in, the presentation has been fantastic.

Thanks. This has me leaning towards the Aria 906. Based on the sub selector wizard on the REL site, a single T5 would be more than sufficient for the room square footage. using a sub(s) would give me a higher level of adjust-ability.

Thanks. This has me leaning towards the Aria 906. Based on the sub selector wizard on the REL site, a single T5 would be more than sufficient for the room square footage. using a sub(s) would give me a higher level of adjust-ability.

Sounds like a good approach. The 906 will be easier to drive and you'll have a lot of flexibility with the sub. I'd have recommended adding a sub at some point even with the 926 speakers. I have Focal 1027be speakers and a REL T-9. The 1027be speakers have a pretty good low range. However, when you get the REL dialed in the system has more depth, range, whatever you want to call it. It just sounds a whole lot better. I can't hear the REL separately from the 1027be speakers - but there a pretty big sound quality difference when you turn off the REL.

Hi everyone, it's been a a few years since I posted to this thread, and I wanted to pass along an update about my Profil 77 speakers. As I said in an earlier post, I love great audio, but I'm also very cost conscious—yet what I've seen over the years is that with just a little bit of effort that absolutely doesn't have to be a contradiction. Also, I'm very far from being an expert in things technological. I've read about ohms and amps countless times and I still couldn't explain a thing about it. You folks are amazing how you know and understand all this stuff.

OK, so for a long time I've been thinking about bi-wiring my speakers. I read the various online forums, some of which said it's worthwhile, others of which said it's a waste of money, but in the end I thought, perhaps naively, "heck, these speakers have the capability to be bi-wired, so the manufacturer must have at least some sense that it could make some kind of difference, and after all it's not as though the manufacturer would profit from my buying extra cable—so one day I should try this." That day came a few months ago when I got an unexpected little windfall of a few hundred dollars. I tucked the cash away in a drawer for future use. Then I purchased rather inexpensive cables of precisely the same length and type as the ones I already had (Transparent), and I set them aside for the proper moment to install (you can see that I'm very slow and deliberate about this stuff). Time passed ...

As the world was going crazy on the morning of November 4, I woke up at 5 a.m. and decided that the perfect, happiest place I could possibly be at that moment would be in the narrow crawl space of my basement threading cable between joists—and that was so very true! Drill, drill, drill, thread, thread, thread, tap, tap, tap—presto!

I was super excited to see how they sounded, but just out of interest I first played a record with just the tweeters—and oh, the disappointment! "These tweeters are blown! I can barely hear a thing from them!" How did that happen? "Or is there something with the cross-over?" Oh, the sense of tragedy! "What a mistake to have learned this—ignorance was bliss, and now I've made it worse. I almost wish I had never begun!" As I gazed despondently at the speakers and contemplated bringing them in for repair and wondered why hadn't I noticed the blown tweeters years ago, I had another thought—wait, wait, wait, maybe the tweeter tone is so high and soft that I wouldn't necessarily notice much sound from them depending on the record I'm playing (I was playing some suites for cello), or maybe even in general. I found a recording online of a very high-pitched single tone (I forget the frequency, but it was high). I hooked up my laptop to the system. Played it—and it came through loud and clear as a bell! Whew! Hurrah!

Then came the moment of truth. I put on Credence Clearwater Revival, Cosmo's Factory, and WOWZA! WOWZA! Yes! Yes! Absolutely, a completely noticeable difference in the mid-range. I put on all kinds of records, and while I don't think the difference in noticeable with all of them, with some I'm absolutely amazed. The speakers have simply never sounded better, and I am very, very happy.

I'll attach a few pictures of my stereo closet, which I reorganized recently as part of a big renovation project in which I sanded and refinished the den with tung oil (I'll attach a picture of that, too—you can just see the stereo closet door slightly ajar on the right). I took the opportunity to raise the shelves in the closet, which gave me more room to store records and cassettes and a bit more space to separate the amp from the other equipment (the picture with the NAD amp on the closet floor is from before the renovation, the one with it on the first shelf is from after). A couple of years ago I had a local repair shop clean my Hafler pre-amp, and that made a big difference for sure. I disconnected that tuner, which I got at a garage sale for one dollar, because it had some kind of ground issue. And most of those new records came from a friend—"duplicates for you!" Now that's a buddy!

IMG_1279.jpeg

IMG-3632.jpg

IMG-3696.jpg

IMG-3631.jpg

Thanks for the update. I wonder why some Focals are biwireable while others are not. I doubt it adds much to the cost but who knows. Perhaps models lacking this feature gain no sonic benefit from doing so.

Congrats @Mark W 2 !
Welcome to AK!!
Looks like a great system you have there!!

I know that there are a lot of critics of bi-wiring but I have enjoyed a slight improvement in sound having bi-wired both my Focal Cobalt 816s and Von Schweikert VR2s.

Thanks for the update. I wonder why some Focals are biwireable while others are not. I doubt it adds much to the cost but who knows. Perhaps models lacking this feature gain no sonic benefit from doing so.

Pretty much nothing modern from Focal has bi-wiring until you get into the Utopia line. Most of their speakers have phase correction in the crossovers and the drivers are often wired out of phase from each other in some combination. The woofers in my 936's are wired backwards from the tweeter and midrange. The Sopra floor standers have positive polarity wiring to the woofers with the midrange reversed. I'm not sure what the tweeter is, but I believe it's in the same polarity as the woofers. That kind of arrangement makes bi-wiring speakers pretty much impossible. I think the Utopia line allows for it just because those crossovers are just insane.

Back
Top Bottom