Focal Super Bird Review...and some other stuff.

Nixxuz

So. Just got the Focal Super Birds that I've been wondering about for some time. I'm not as conversant in the ways of reviews as a professional, so I'm just going to do my best.

PURE GARBAGE.

These things literally sound like muddy, lifeless, early 90's era boombox speakers. The highs are nigh on nonexistent. The mids are, while not absent, a bizarre mid bass that gives you shoebox sounding mids coupled with a vague attempt at frequencies lower than 100hz? The entire speaker sounds like it was stuffed in a box of cotton and left outside for a few days.

And forget the supposed 90db efficiency rating. That must have been pulled out of someones ass at Focal, because as well as sounding like undefined crap, these things are also incredibly quiet compared to other speakers I have that are rated at 89 and 90 respectively. I've tried them in several configurations including with stands and wall mounted, both of which apparently have a different crossover setting? There's some bizarre switch in the back that's supposed to deal with different mounting options.

I would unreservedly call these junk if they were $25 each. To ask $250 for a pair, much less each when not on promo, is ridiculous. It's possible there's some thing I'm just not getting here, but if that's the case, I'm kind of glad I don't.

Oh yes, my favorite part!

Accesories4Less NOT ONLY charges a restocking fee, AND shipping back to them...

But they charge YOU for the "FREE" shipping that it cost them to send it to you!

That's right. I'm patiently awaiting an email telling me how much I owe them for shipping the speakers to me, after I pay to ship them back. And the restocking fee. I have no idea how they can justify THAT kind of policy. I can absolutely say I'm never touching that company again with a 10 foot pole.

I just got the email.

It's going to cost me $123.86 to return a $249 purchase.

Had they refunded even MOST of my purchase price...I would have given them MORE money and bought something else from them.

Welp. I guess I learned my lesson trying to get a deal on a pair of speakers nobody has reviewed. Hope it helps someone else in the future.

i am not sure why you would not choose a well reviewed speaker like the room filling, detailed, wide soundstage of the Elac B4 for $129 A PAIR, or the B5 for $199pr ?? there are hundreds of praised reviews by owners, and hifi legends, just dont understand why that plastic focal speaker? sorry it didnt work out, do some research. everything you need to know is on line.

It sounds like you'd be better off directly selling the speakers yourself. You might not break even, but you might not loose $123.86 either.

One other thought. While I know you stated that you no longer want to do business with A4L, have you called them to see if they'll apply the Focal purchase price to a higher priced set of speakers? Maybe trade up, and A4L will absorb the Little Bird fiasco? It can't hurt to try.

i am not sure why you would not choose a well reviewed speaker like the room filling, detailed, wide soundstage of the Elac B4 for $129 A PAIR, or the B5 for $199pr ?? there are hundreds of praised reviews by owners, and hifi legends, just dont understand why that plastic focal speaker? sorry it didnt work out, do some research. everything you need to know is on line.

Well, Focal has a pretty good pedigree. I wanted to believe that they wouldn't release junk, if for no other reason than their reputation. And I revise SOME of my review. They've opened up a little, and I transferred them to my HT setup in the living room to see if maybe they "fit" there. The wife seems to like them there quite a bit, and it eliminates the need for the stands I was using for my Mirage Nanosats, although I don't think they sound quite as good. I still have a set of the Mirage to the sides for sats, and I think they seem to be doing some of the heavy lifting for highs that the Focal either can't do, or weren't designed for. To be fair, the Mirage are fairly amazing satellites for HT use. The Focal do have a bit better mids, which they should considering the difference in driver size. And I guess their wonky look will make the in-laws all impressed, and the kids less likely to knock them over.

I wouldn't buy them again, but I'm making the best of a bleh situation. If I had just spent the extra $50 I would have gotten a pair of Emotiva Airmotive B1's. Maybe the Focal will open up further as time goes on.

Back
Top Bottom