Follow up to Dans McIntosh Downsize thread...

Yes, I am sure that you are right, for what it is, it is probably the best there is out there.

You are just NEVER going to get the sound that I crave from a small desk top system.

When I think "Executive System" I think a beautiful MC275 sitting on a Walnut credenza being driven by a MCD500 into a pair of Magico Minis...

Thats what I call Executive.

Oooh........Sounds nice!:thmbsp:

At 75 WPC you can connect a whole lot of different speakers to it. If it is the worst thing McIntosh has ever done, that ain't saying a whole lot. I would say putting a glass faceplate with a meter on their one & only turntable is far worse. I just don't get why so many absolutely hate that rig so much. I would love to have one in the bedroom.

No offence meant, Beans.

If you like it, I think thats great.

And, I guess you right, it would make a nice bedroom system.

I just do not like the styling. I am a big fan of "One Box" systems. I have an NAD L-40 that I love. If Mc would have put this is a regular Mc box, I would probbaly be the first in line for one.

No, it's not a matter of being offended, and the styling is a little odd. But the worst thing they ever did? They have a projector in their lineup, and from what I've heard they are absolutely taking a bath with that thing. It's a great projector... has a wonderful picture, works fine, etc. But it's a product in the $20,000 range based on what they put into it. The sad thing is that right after it came out, their competition was able to slash their prices... Mac could not. THAT was probably their worst move, but this is from the bidnez perspective, not quality of the product.

Here's a one box stereo for you, the KLH Model Eleven, manufactured in 1965. It was called a portable stereo, but it had to be plugged into 120 volts AC to work. It had a Garrard Turntable with a Pickering cartridge, and speakers. When it was closed it looked like a piece of luggage. This is a classic one box system. As I remember, it sounded decent.

Attachments

• klh11-1.jpg
    klh11-1.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 15
  • klh11-2.jpg
    klh11-2.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 10
  • klh11-3.jpg
    klh11-3.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 10
Here's a one box stereo for you, the KLH Model Eleven, manufactured in 1965. It was called a portable stereo, but it had to be plugged into 120 volts AC to work. It had a Garrard Turntable with a Pickering cartridge, and speakers. When it was closed it looked like a piece of luggage. This is a classic one box system. As I remember, it sounded decent.

Ok, I'll take it.. I'm sold...

Well I think that Mr. Dandy is off at another site but seeing one of these old KLHs reminds me of " back in the day".

I really don't remember all that much about the old TV show but we always called these systems "Patti Duke" stereos when they would come into the shop for turntable repairs and new Pickering DAT-3 styli.

Seems like every upper income teen girl had one in her room just ready for college dorm life.

I don't want to spin vinyl in the same hot box amplifier, it would probably melt and start on fire eventually.

Well I think that Mr. Dandy is off at another site but seeing one of these old KLHs reminds me of " back in the day".

I really don't remember all that much about the old TV show but we always called these systems "Patti Duke" stereos when they would come into the shop for turntable repairs and new Pickering DAT-3 styli.

Seems like every upper income teen girl had one in her room just ready for college dorm life.
It was the first KLH product, I think, that used the ubiquitous 5" acoustic suspension driver.

I have a C-34, show me a pre-amp today that will do everything a C-34 will. The C-40 was the last full functioning pre-amp Mac has made. It didn't have a MC input or I might have upgraded, but instead I added a MP 100. I just got a MX 151 last year because I could see a MX 160 wouldn't do everything I needed a HT processor to do. Now if they had an updated C-40 with a MC input on the front of a MA 8900 that would be a start. But I tri-amp so I would need two more MC 152's. If I changed speakers I would need an up graded C-40 on the front of two 611's. You can't put that in one box either. How do you put two 207's, a 206, and a MX 151 in one box?. Changing speakers would mean 2 MC 452's plus 3 MC 611's and a MX 151 and that doesn't work either. Guess if I gave up HT and chose Klipsch Cornwalls I could use a MA 6200 with a MP 100. But I'll stick with my 16 Mac pieces. If I count the other MAC pieces, thats 6 more. But then Apples aren't the same thing are they?

Back
Top Bottom