For Cassette Tape Fans - "Cassette Tape Complete Book" from Japan

soundboy

Disclaimer: I don't read or understand Japanese, and I must apologize for the quality of the photos.

I took a chance recently and ordered the below book titled "Cassette Tape Complete Guide" from cdjapan.co.jp.

27023276928_3c9fd88daf_z.jpg

The book has 194 pages and is beautifully printed. Almost every page has a photo. From what I can gather, there is a multi-page brand history section for each of these brands....TDK, Sony, Maxell, Fuji/Axia, Columbia/Denon, and That's. Smaller half page brand history were done for Scotch, National/Panasonic, Victor, and Konica. There's also a year-by-year breakdown on which blank cassettes were released (the photo below from the year 1987)....

27023276548_ce8fee8aa2_c.jpg

There is a history of each brand of blank cassette, each section featured a timeline of when a specific blank cassette was introduced (the below photo came from the Denon section)....

27023275718_6fd71b7d6d_c.jpg

Towards the end of the book, there's a section of the many models of portable cassette players released by Sony, Aiwa, and Panasonic (the below photo is from the Sony Walkman section)

27023274798_97b82ba328_c.jpg

I believe there are a couple of articles on people who still record on cassettes.

Interestingly, on the inside of the front cover, there's an ad from Aiwa for its small CD/cassette boomboxes.

The book cost about US$12.00. Highly recommended!!

Complete except for the lack of BASF, the inventor of magnetic tape and the first producer of cassette tape as well as largest supplier of tape for music cassettes and for the lack of Philips, the inventor of the format. I'm certain they also fail to mention the IEC world standards that the Japanese violated time and time again.

Very Interesting book.
Where did you find it for US$12 ?
I'm guessing that's unshipped yeah ?
I've seen them on ebay from US$31 to US$64 with free shipping.

Nice book! I guess some are missing the point that this is a history from 1971-1993 which are the prime years for cassette tape and deck production in Japan. During the early days of this period, it didn't get any better than recording an album using a Nakamichi deck onto a fresh Maxell UD tape and listening to it on the go through a Sony Walkman. In fact, this "Japanese" experience is still satisfying today!

Last edited:
It's really only good if you can read Japanese. Did they ever think to release one in the International Language ?

Very Interesting book.
Where did you find it for US$12 ?
I'm guessing that's unshipped yeah ?
I've seen them on ebay from US$31 to US$64 with free shipping.

The link to cdjapan.co.jp is in my original post (it is still in stock for US$12.17 as of this post)

I don't know how much it will be it shipped by itself; I purchased it along with a couple of CDs.

Back
Top Bottom