For hardcore Danny Gatton fans only

grillebilly

Empty Head
This show was recorded and a little dive in DC that I used to frequent. It was called The Gentry. Anything and everything was open season at this place. It had a little room off to the side the bands would play in, a separate bar area, and a very cool courtyard. I am sure the owners were paying protection money to the cops because there were undercover detectives inside and never ever gave a second glance at the stuff going down. It often served alcohol way past dawn.
Anyway, I digress, The sound is pretty good. This was his band called "The Fat Boys". Billy Hancock fronted and played bass. Dave Elliot on drums.
If you want to see the reluctant superstar in his most familiar surroundings, dig in.

Check out the ten-plus minute jam of "Tequilla" at 49:30 if you just want a taste of what made him the best unknown guitarist in the world.

Last edited:
Loved DG through all of his changes -- Fat Boys, solo, Bobby Gordon's main geetar slinger, etc.

I have a ROIO of Danny & The Fat Boys, an FM-capture of a performance @ The Childe Harold (1974), that'll leave blisters @ your ears.

Loved DG through all of his changes -- Fat Boys, solo, Bobby Gordon's main geetar slinger, etc.

I have a ROIO of Danny & The Fat Boys, an FM-capture of a performance @ The Childe Harold (1974), that'll leave blisters @ your ears.
OMG - The Childe Harold - what a place! I saw a later version of Tony Wiliams Lifetime (w/Alan Holdsworth) there once ...

Thanks so much for sharing this grillebilly!

^^^^ Saw quite a few good shows there. One time the band played until after 4 in the morning. They took all the drinks off the table sometime around 2 IIRC.

heather, your hip quotient just continues to rise with me. Very cool.

Grillebilly, again, thank you. Danny Gatton, along with Shawn Lane, Roy Buchanon, and many others were so unappreciated in their time.

Great post, thanks. I never get tired of hearing another version of Harlem Nocturne. Decent sound too.

Brings back memories, thanks for the post!
Regards,
Jim

Thanks for posting this, Rick. I wish I had seen DG back in the day,along with some of the other (now departed ) DC area music greats.

Back
Top Bottom