For in ceiling Atmos Height speakers, can they be VERY inexpensive and basic?

HiFiJeff

I am getting ready to install speakers in my ceiling for Atmos height speakers. 4 of them. And was wondering if I could go a little cheaper in that area? I mean it's more for effects and not full blown rear surrounds right? I was looking at some Monoprice options and was wondering for the Atmos heights if there would be a big difference in sound between the two?

$39.88
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WCZ3VL8/ref=twister_B06XGNBF49?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

$99.99
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Caliber-60-Watt-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B077H4Q8ZV/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1SDSZS6TCNUK1&keywords=in+ceiling+speakers+6.5&qid=1553280757&refinements=p_89:Monoprice&rnid=2528832011&s=gateway&sprefix=IN+CEILING+SPE,aps,191&sr=8-6

They have to be able to match the output of your rear and side speakers, so with that in mind I would do some research. I think a frequency range from 80 to 12,000 should be more than adequate. They should also have the same efficiency of your rear and side speakers. if the listening distances are the same. If the ceiling speakers are further away they need to be more sensitive. The more surround speakers you add the stronger or more capable your sub woofers have to be. Notice I said two. Why to get the most even coverage if you have a larger than small listening position for one or two people. Large family and seating area, two subs.

They have to be able to match the output of your rear and side speakers, so with that in mind I would do some research. I think a frequency range from 80 to 12,000 should be more than adequate. They should also have the same efficiency of your rear and side speakers. if the listening distances are the same. If the ceiling speakers are further away they need to be more sensitive. The more surround speakers you add the stronger or more capable your sub woofers have to be. Notice I said two. Why to get the most even coverage if you have a larger than small listening position for one or two people. Large family and seating area, two subs.

Already have the dual subs, so I am good there! :)

I think the $40 pair would be OK, But I would get the 100w for $62 for Dolby Atmos speakers. The $100 pair are amplified and must be connected to the pre-amp output, Not speaker outputs.

Neither efficiency or Timbre matching are necessary as your HT receivers EQ will correct any mismatches. I might use my Realistic Minimus 7's with the matching brackets for my rec room.

I would mount them high on the front wall facing straight out to be most effective. Perhaps small wall mounted speakers on brackets would be best their, While the ceiling might be fine for side height speakers since they are closer to the listener.

Last edited:
I think I would use Klipsch speakers designed for in wall mounting. Guaranteed higher efficiency and proven believable published specifications for each model.

I am getting ready to install speakers in my ceiling for Atmos height speakers. 4 of them. And was wondering if I could go a little cheaper in that area? I mean it's more for effects and not full blown rear surrounds right? I was looking at some Monoprice options and was wondering for the Atmos heights if there would be a big difference in sound between the two?

As twiiii has already said, unfortunately the ceiling speakers (called "height" channels by Dolby) should match all the other speakers as closely as possible. In fact, Dolby recommends that they be "identical full-range designs".

They are not just for effects. There is a lot of confusion regarding exactly what Atmos (and DTS-X) is. With these new soundtracks, each and every sound has an X, Y, and Z three dimensional coordinate, and ALL the speakers working together (including the height channels) reproduce the soundtrack, creating a 3D sound field with the listener in the center. Of course most dialog will still come from the center channel, but a large amount of all of the other sounds will come from all the other speakers working together.

The auto EQ can correct somewhat for mismatched speaker distances and output level, but not for timbre matching. Speakers sound like what they sound like, and to work together they need to be reasonably matched.

So ultimately I don't think you will be happy with big Zu speakers upfront, and Monoprice speakers overhead. It would seem to me that the Monoprice speakers will not even come close to matching the dynamics of the Zu's.

But seeing as there aren't any real options for Zu ceiling speakers, I would get big and dynamic ceiling speakers that match the Zu's as close as possible, like the Klipsch that twiiii recommended. This way, if that doesn't work out, you can get matching Klipsch speakers for the rest of the channels, and move the big Zu mains to a 2 channel system.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom