for sale: Most hideous homebrew amp ever built SCARY

That's actually not an audio amp, it looks like a linear to boost the power of a low power transceiver for the 10, 15, 20, 40 and 80 meter HF Ham Bands.

You can laugh all you want at the fella's construction but I'll bet it worked just fine, and I've got a lot of respect for anyone that goes to his level of trouble to build something. Once upon a time Hams had to build their own gear if they wanted to get on the air.
I wouldn't complain a bit if they made that a new requirement to keep an existing lisense, or to apply for a new one. All the no-talent, couldn't identify an electronic circuit if it bit them in the arse CB'ers would get kicked off the Ham Bands in one swell foop !!!!

Last edited:
Yeah Rob, it's like a Variac my brother gave to me that he built. Merely stuffed in a Nema 3R box with a piece of SJ cord and cap on it with the voltages written around the front in marker as needed. All the range marks are dead on according to my Fluke and it works like a champ. Pretty? Nope, but it was dirt cheap. (My shop shelf ain't all so pretty anyway so it fits right in)

2nd pic.

Check it out. How many folks go to the trouble of actually making their own cooling fan blade? This guy was a real D.I.Y.'er from the old school!

....and look, he actually used tube plate connectors which also look home-made, didn't solder to the (811A?) plate caps! Classy! ;)

Last edited:
That has to be Ham Stuff! 2kV!!! Yikes.

I sent this link to a friend that will know exactly what it is. I hope he responds.

HBomb

Originally posted by Rob

I wouldn't complain a bit if they made that a new requirement to keep an existing lisense, or to apply for a new one. All the no-talent, couldn't identify an electronic circuit if it bit them in the arse CB'ers would get kicked off the Ham Bands in one swell foop !!!!

Thats why I don't have a licence anymore....couldnt make the 13 wpm...passed the general and advanced class written portions of the test (1 wrong on general..0 wrong on advanced) ...but ...couldn't do the 13 wpm required for the general class...and all I wanted was voice privleges on 40 and 80 meter bands.....needless to say ......formerly n8nbf.....:mad:

Last edited:
Danger Will Robinson!!

I wouldn't touch that thing except for parts. Open chassis, exposed wiring, unknown parts, unknown builder. It might as well have a big red button labeled "Electrocute Operator".
Cheers

Ross, All,

Well obviously it is a parts rig now, but just to be absolutely clear. I never said I thought it was well built. Sure it is a horror story. I had high praise to the guy for the fact that it WAS built. He put in a lot more effort than someone who just smacks down greenbacks at a store for a rig, and he had to know a lot more too. As I mentioned before, I'll say again. I'll bet this unit worked fairly well and I wouldn't have had any qualms about plugging that unit in back then when it was in use. That metal chassis would have been properly grounded to the earth so shock wouldn't have been a concern. I would have just made sure my friends weren't sitting too close! ;)

Last edited:
Even wound his own chokes. It is ugly but there are some very intersting things in there. That being said it probably ain't worth a damn for even parts.

That thing has been forsale before. I think between Thanksgiving and Christmas of 2003.

I would never forget somehing that interesting.

Cheers,
Mike

Back
Top Bottom