For those considering an MC275-VI, did you purchase a pair of MC75s instead?

I have had a pair for about 10 years now. I purchased off of ebay and restored them my self. I have GEC KT 88 tubes along with some teles. I drive a pair of JBL 4333A speakers with them and it is nothing short of fantastic. This is a combo I will not part with.

That’s awesome. I’m sure it’s a wonderful combo.

I have had a pair for about 10 years now. I purchased off of ebay and restored them my self. I have GEC KT 88 tubes along with some teles. I drive a pair of JBL 4333A speakers with them and it is nothing short of fantastic. This is a combo I will not part with.

McIntosh gear is like potato chips, can’t have just one :)

When I was deciding on tubes and looking at used units, I thought I might want two of them. So the decision was to buy new so if I needed a match and I got one, by the end of the week I went back for a second amp. They have been mono blocked since then, and never looked back.

Can anyone tell the difference in sound between a pair of McIntosh 75's and the McIntosh 275? In other words, isn't the MC-275 just two MC-75's joined in the same chassis? Is there any advantage (other than each unit being lighter weight) of having two MC-75's rather than a single MC-275? Aren't you just paying for a superfluous power transformer by buying two MC-75's?

Each MC75 has the same transformers as one MC275. This allows for more powerful musical presentation, better bass and control. Since each is a separate chassis, separation is infinite. If you don’t think you will want/need to biamp two MC275s, absolutely go for the MC75s. They are absolutely better than one MC275 in my opinion.

Each MC75 has the same transformers as one MC275. This allows for more powerful musical presentation, better bass and control. Since each is a separate chassis, separation is infinite. If you don’t think you will want/need to biamp two MC275s, absolutely go for the MC75s. They are absolutely better than one MC275 in my opinion.

I think that you're mistaken claiming the an MC-75 has two output transformers and a power transformer.

In pictures of the MC-75, I only see a single power transformer and a single output transformer....

Thus, I still believe that two MC-75's == one MC-275 other than the superfluous power transformer on the pair of MC-75's.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/mcintosh_mc75.htm

How does the MC75 differ from its more famous sister, the stereo MC275? Each amp is rated at 75 watts per channel and they share the same power supply. The difference is that the stereo MC275 has to power twice as many tubes in its chassis, and that power supply has to support the MC275's ability to become a monoblock with twice the power. So a pair of MC75s basically has twice the power supply of a single MC275. This translates into an overbuilt, cool-running power supply for each MC75. Another difference is how McIntosh handles balanced inputs: a 12AX7 tube for the MC275, but, due to space issues, McIntosh opted for an op-amp for the MC75. A benefit of this change is that the S/N is improved by 5dB, to 110dB, for the MC75.

I think that you're mistaken claiming the an MC-75 has two output transformers and a power transformer.

In pictures of the MC-75, I only see a single power transformer and a single output transformer....

Thus, I still believe that two MC-75's == one MC-275 other than the superfluous power transformer on the pair of MC-75's.
What he meant to say is that the power transformer for the MC75 is identical to the power transformer for the MC275 - therefore, the pair of MC75s has double the power transformers of a single MC275.

Interestingly enough, this is not then first time I’ve heard that a pair of MC75s sounds better than even a pair of mono MC275s.

Back
Top Bottom