For those unaware PULSTAR Spark Plugs exist...

Harvestor

Addicted Member

These have been around for several years
And are the real Improvement in Spark Plug Tech no other manufacturers have duplicated...

Throughout the history of spark plugs, people have tried all manner of electrode configurations, multiple electrodes, surface gaps, internal spark gaps and different materials (platinum). I think platinum mostly allows a much smaller center electrode. For a while people were pushing aircraft plugs for automotive use. It's hard to tell exactly what they're doing here, but I smell oil of snake. OTOH, some modern engines seem way too sensitive to the plugs used, so a slight design change might work way better in a given vehicle. It might be worse in others.

I installed NGK Iridium plugs in my 72 Yamaha 650 that has points ignition , and it starts and runs much better.
The iridium plugs have a funnel shaped electrode which alters flame travel for better combustion.

The fact that the dyno shows little real improvement is about what I'd honestly expect. I'll keep my boring old copper plugs. The motor in the Lincoln isn't nearly hot enough to justify anything more advanced anyway. It even runs worse on platinum, so boring stock stuff it is.

I installed NGK Iridium plugs in my 72 Yamaha 650 that has points ignition , and it starts and runs much better.

Big fan of iridium here ... flatter, wider spark and better scavenging, not to mention pretty much bulletproof. Cost a lot more, but may be the last plugs you ever buy. One caution - don't try gapping them, as the tips are extremely fragile. The standard factory gap is right for most applications.

70's Jap bikes had marginal ignition coils , batteries & charging systems . the moment
you hit the starter button, battery voltage drops to about 10V, and the ignition system
doesn't have enough high tension to jump the gap . NGK Iridium to the rescue.
In worst case, I can always kick start with the lights off, starting is no problem.

I run A Scorpion AGM battery which helps maintain voltage while cranking. I will never
buy a regular "wet" battery if I can help it.

Some folks convert to PM alternator & regulator , and electronic ignition , but I am
to much of a Luddite. I can always limp home .

I am not a car guy. Now that you threw the seed of doubt in there, I think I see some deception.
The research I did seems to say they are initially better then stock but don’t last and are expensive. I use MFG recommend plugs in my car and every time I check them the electrodes are a light tan. This tells me the heat range is correct. No way to tell if the same will apply with the Pullstar unless I try them.

I used to run Autolites in the Lincoln until I got a bad batch. Production moved to China at some point, and the first set of China plugs I put in the car ran funny. I have since run Motorcraft that are Hecho en Mexico and its been perfectly content. The Chevy gets Delco plugs. When I had the VW forever ago, it ran best on Bosch Super. The Kawasaki jet skis wanted NGK plugs. OE for my Evinrude are Champion.

basically all of those are what the engines left the factory with.

Throughout the history of spark plugs, people have tried all manner of electrode configurations, multiple electrodes, surface gaps, internal spark gaps and different materials (platinum). I think platinum mostly allows a much smaller center electrode. For a while people were pushing aircraft plugs for automotive use. It's hard to tell exactly what they're doing here, but I smell oil of snake. OTOH, some modern engines seem way too sensitive to the plugs used, so a slight design change might work way better in a given vehicle. It might be worse in others.
platinum worked really well in my 250 xs yamaha but only lasted a few days . they did seem to light the fuel better .

wondering if they work better than regular plugs to start an engine that floods itself when turned off .. just like mine does . must take about 12 or 15 seconds cranking if not left stopped for more than an hour or two . or stopped for less than five minutes .

wondering if they work better than regular plugs to start an engine that floods itself when turned off .. just like mine does . must take about 12 or 15 seconds cranking if not left stopped for more than an hour or two . or stopped for less than five minutes .
They have built in Capacitors ... Capacitance discharge Pulses is why these plugs have such a big powerful spark...
So maybe it would be better with a flooded combustion chamber

Back
Top Bottom