For you Nipper fans....

3kitty

Today was one of those (reasonably rare) mornings where you get invited into a collectors home and you leave after being in that home for 2 hours and there still was plenty you didn't see.

This gentleman owned over 45 vintage Gramophones.....either Victor/RCA Victor or Edison some pre-dating 1900.

I listened to a dozen or so (both cylinder and 78's).....most all of them are in working condition or close to it.
Some (never refinished) but pretty well off the show room floor.

This being a passion I suppose the love for Nipper was almost a given.
I couldn't tell you how many Nipper's he had......from framed advertisements and original drawings.....carved, glass, porcelain, ceramic, stuffed, etc and this.....commissioned stained glass piece - 4 ft by 4 ft and the colours are stunning.
My iPhone only captured its essence.....in person it was spectacular.

.......by the way he owns 31,000 78's and 1000's of cylinders.

He invited me back to complete the tour.
He was a very nice and gracious man with a deep passion for these pieces and he knew the history very very well.

This morning was a treat!!

One other note.....he had three 1932 -33 RCA Victor RAE 84, with 2 speed turntable, home recording device, and automatic record changer. Cost new in 1932 was about $315, the equivalent of about $5600 today. He also had an lp prototype to play on this unit....I heard it!

Nice dargie! Here's my bow-wow!

index.php

Attachments

• DSCN0473.jpg
    DSCN0473.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 256
Now that is a love for music! The stained glass window is absolutely beautiful and assuredly unique. Out of sheer curiosity, how does this gentleman store such a massive number of 78 rpms?

Now that is a love for music! The stained glass window is absolutely beautiful and assuredly unique. Out of sheer curiosity, how does this gentleman store such a massive number of 78 rpms?

He lives in a very large home......1 room dedicated to "records" plus there were 78's in every room I went into.

sounds like kitty is looking for a cast iron collector's item

Too funny!!!

No not really....just curious.
I didn't notice one when I was in this gentleman's home but when I go back (he has invited me to return) I will ask him if he has a cast one. I'm betting he does.

.....he wants me to "poach" his classical record collection
.....his exact words were, "I would appreciate it if you would begin to lighten my load"
.....curious what he has

Very nice piece!!!!

...how rare a piece is it?
...hard find?
I snagged it off the Bay so I don't know the exact history. It's stamped with "Rogers Foundry Birmingham" on the bottom. From what I've turned up, it seems they were made in England for the HMV brand. It seems there have been some out there for sale, but they don't show up very often.

I snagged it off the Bay so I don't know the exact history. It's stamped with "Rogers Foundry Birmingham" on the bottom. From what I've turned up, it seems they were made in England for the HMV brand. It seems there have been some out there for sale, but they don't show up very often.

Nice find...congrats!

Back
Top Bottom