For you rocking chair nuts....

Amazing! The sapele has a look very similar to mahogany.

You, sir, have an eye for wood :) I almost can't tell the difference between sapele and mahogany, with the exception that sapele looks redder to me. It reminds me (in color) of aged cherry.

Not really. I have a couple pieces that are made with mahogany and saw that they look very similar.

Most of the time I have no idea what I am looking at. :no:

I have to say again that you do beautiful work. Are you a master woodworker?

Are you a master woodworker?

Not at all. I would consider myself intermediate at best. However I am very patient, very detail-oriented, and I respect my tools :) Half the battle is getting quality measuring tools and setting up the proper forms and jigs. I have a table saw fence accurate to 1/1000th of an inch, and measure all my cuts with calipers. Any woodworker will tell you that it isn't the cutting that is hard - it's setting up the cut that matters. I could spend an hour setting up a cut that takes 5 seconds :) But when I cut the rabbets in the seat, and needed a slot EXACTLY 7/8" wide, I ended up with something exactly 7/8" :) (or at least as close to exact as I could get with a caliper good to .0005")

rabbet.jpg

So my lack of experience equates to slow work versus sloppy work. I am sure there are masters out there who can hand cut something by eye that takes me 15 minutes to do using accurate tools and measuring devices. However patience goes a long way toward a good result. I spent 10 hours hand-sanding the chair after it was completely assembled before I applied the finish. I considered it a small investment in something that was going to be in my parent's home for the rest of their lives :)

Most importantly (and I should have posted this first) it is CRITICAL to have a good mentor. Hal Taylor helped me a LOT while I was building this chair. He might not have been there in person, but with the advent of email and electronic photos, he was there any time I had a question. I benefited substantially from his experience - and he has personally built over 300 rocking chairs.

It also helps a LOT to have a good sound system in your shop :)

Last edited:
Great job on the chair - I'm impressed !
Is that sapele?

I had the good fortune to meet Sam a few years ago.
He gave me a tour of his house and yes - I sat in more than one of his chairs. Sam was a great woodworker and even a greater human being.
I blogged about Sam when he died.

Attachments

• Sam.jpg
    Sam.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 22
Absolutely incredible work! You should be proud. There's nothing like sitting in a good quality rocking chair. Sitting in mine as I type this reply! :D

More praise on your work. That's very nice and well thought out. Thanks for posting. It gives the less talented (me) motivation to try harder.

Great job on the chair - I'm impressed !
Is that sapele?

Oh man... you teach at William Ng's? I am not worthy... :)

Yes it is sapele. I picked it up at Austin Hardwoods. I had been looking for something with a little more figure, and had been leaning toward walnut, but when I went to Austin they had just gotten in a load of the most beautiful 8/4 sapele you had ever seen. I bought one board about 13" wide and 14' long that was the cleanest single board I have ever seen - not a mar or flaw; just beautiful flowy grain. I was worried it was going to look too striped, but I am happy with the way it turned out.

Yes - I teach at William's once or twice a year. Do you live in SoCal?

Sepele is a neat wood - kinda looks like kiah, but a little more even and mellow.

So what's your next project in the shop?

Darrell

Yes - I teach at William's once or twice a year. Do you live in SoCal?

So what's your next project in the shop?

Yes, I live in Orange County :) I was going to dive into another rocker with a few changes, but I may be doing some bonsai display tables for some friends first. I've been kinda caught up with some personal chaos aka kids :)

Must say again....GORGEOUS!!

How did you make the back slats? Did you cut them curved or steam them?

Inquiring minds want to know :D

Back
Top Bottom