Ford, Chevy or Dodge truck Reliability ?

grumpy

Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma
Staff member
Admin
Sponsor
Subscriber
Start off by saying I want a used 1998 or newer silverado, Sierra. Tahoe and Yukon's are OK too. But the damn things are ridiculously priced for vehicles with 100K plus miles on them.

In my searches I have found some pretty good deals on the Dodge Ram 1500's and occasionally F150's. I know the Chevy 5.7 motors can easily go on for 200,00 plus miles if taken care.

What I am wondering is if any of you currently, or had a 97 or newer F150 or Ram 1500/2500 and how reliable they have been. Not just motors but vehicles as a whole.

What I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR is buy something else other then the brands mentioned or rehash the ford versus Chevy versus dodge. I just want to hear how reliable these trucks have been for you.

Thanks
Grumpy

I have a 97 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 that I bought used w/only 6k miles on it and less than 6 months wear, so call it new. It now has 102k miles on it. Mine has the 5.9l V-8 which is a great motor (360 cid) and has lots of pull if you need 4 wheel drive. It might be the extreme conditions here but I've replaced the front u-joints twice at ~40k miles, the CD/Cassette deck once (spurious ground, warranty item), the water pump once (I over heated the engine) and that's it besides oil changes and gas. Lots of gas. It doesn't have a small gas tank and it's pretty thirsty engine.

Lots of room inside. Comfy. They improved the interior layout in later models (the 97 RAM cupholder is a guarrantee-to-spill device).

Love mine and wouldn't part with it. It has another 150k miles in it.

ETA: Oh, and not an oil leak in sight anywhere on the engine. Steerring gearbox lower seal needs to be replaced ($10 and 10 min).

Please don't take this the wrong way grumpy, but they're ALL JUNK!

Now just the facts.

I have a '98 silverado 1500 4x4, bought it in 2000 with 68k miles.

Talked to the original owner from Rochester, NY who drove it as his personal vehicle for his business of selling, installing and servicing generators.

Included with the truck i got the service records and even the original invoice and window sticker.

He had no problems whatsoever, the paperwork verifies only routine service/maintainence.

In just over 6 years i've only put about 12K miles on it.

In that time i have replaced transmission, water pump, O2 sensor, oil cooler line, and intake manifold gaskets.

It currently needs the magnetic sensor for the speed sensitive steering replaced in the steering column, not a cheap or easy job, and the symptom is that when easing into a turn at speed the amount of force needed to turn the wheel suddenly drops off and will actually cause the wheel to jump a 1/4 turn or so under the pressure you're exerting on it. Needless to say it's not safe to let anyone else drive it as the result is that it snaps the whole vehicle into a powerslide.

The motor runs very strong, multiport injected 350, last year for them in fact. but the motor makes lots of mechanical noise. The '95 350 in the G20 van with double the mileage is still magically quiet compared.

The transmission problem is a classic, it's the 4L-60E and they are notorious for fracturing the sun shell where the drive spur is welded to the reaction shell itself. Apparently they turned too much of the weld off in manufacturing making it a weak area. The company that makes the replacement reaction shell was selling 1.6 million parts per year at the time of my replacement.

The ABS system is nothing to write home about either, on slippery roads, it'll roll you right out into the middle of an intersection.

Strangely, i still love my Chevy. Maybe because i know i HAVE TO for some time to come.

I'm not in any camp Dave but I'll tell you what a very successful tranny rebuilder here has said. As far as transmissions they all have problems. Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. None of them are bulletproof and trade one quirk for another.

My wife's family use Dodge trucks. In a 1998 with a 360, auto, 4 wheel drive I've replaced both front wheel bearings, front hardpan link has been done several times, front axle u-joints are an almost yearly thing, tie rod ends, and it's on it's 3rd trans. To be fair the first rebuild failed at an early life unexpectedly and was replaced. This truck has plowed for 3 years now. It has about 250,000 miles on it's ticker and will soon rust apart but the motor is tight. A little knock but runs like a clock, has for the last 125,000.

I've driven the Ford and Dodge (2 and 4 wheel drive), but not the Chevrolet as fleet trucks for business (so they were well maintained - but hard driven), and the trannies in both the Ford and the Dodge failed early and often, it seemed especially common in the Dodges. I worked a few years back with a gentleman that had a fleet of Dodges and after the fourth or fifth transmission failure he swore off the brand entirely, moving to Chevrolet. I haven't talked to him about his trucks since, so I don't know what kind of luck he's had with them.

I've heard a couple good transmission men say that trucks & large SUVs make up the lion's share of their business nowadays.

As I recollect, the Fords in our fleet also had a fair amount of trouble with their AC and electrical/electronic systems, namely ignition switches and computer problems. No actual engine breakdowns to speak of in either brand that I recall diesel or gas.

Hope this helps, but I can't hardly see how...

My F-150 has been perfect but it's only a year old.

Six cylinder, stick shift, rubber floors, crank windows. What's to go wrong?

Another thing I'll add. Working on school busses for a living I get to see Ford's PowerStroke aka International's T444E engine as well as the new VT365 diesel. I'd take a 7.3ltr PowerStroke in a heartbeat, it's only problems are oil leaks basically. An occasional cam sensor but the motors just run. I don't remember the last time one left on a hook in 4 years.

The new VT365 powered units I have are in the shop as much as out. They are junk AFAIC. Between turbo, injector, EGR cooler, and software problems I've spent some $3000.00 in tow bills to dealers since April 01. This is all on units with less than 25,000 miles.

All of this is irrelevant if you don't want a diesel.

For what it's worth, The Mighty Valdez has been very reliable for 117K now..Brakes gave some trouble, they really should have used F-350/450 rotors instead of F-150 ones, but other than a prodigious thirst, nothing too much to complain about.

I am not opposed to Diesels but cannot afford one. The vehicles main purpose will be towing roughly 7-7500 pounds. Secondly it will be a daily driver for short runs to and from work so gas is negligible.

The advantages of the 6.8L V-10 are smoothness, strength, & exceptionable power-I've never felt "outgunned" or "strained" w/it. I'm a firm believer, too, in if you think you can get by w/a half-ton, you REALLY oughta get a 3/4...& get all the heavy-duty stuff w/it you can. As far as one brand of truck being "better" than the other-I'd say it was a toss-up. My dad has gravitated between Dodge & Ford diesels for 20 years now, & seems to generally preferring Dodge. The Cummins is hard to beat. But yeah, they ARE expensive. W/what you're wanting to pull, I'd definately go for a 3/4 ton-a half ton would do it, but you've got a little more "wollerance" in there w/a 3/4. If a good clean TON pick-up came along, I'd take a hard look at that.

I've had a '78 Dodge Little Red Express, an '82 D150, a '77 Power Wagon, a '84 W150, and presently, a 2001 4X4 diesel Ram.
The previous models were almost indestructible.
For work trucks, my '77 & '86 were both great. Neither one even had AC, let alone power windows, locks, etc.
The newer they are, it seems like the factory puts more BS on them to screw up.
When the diesel first came out, it didn't have all the electronic junk it now has.
The new stuff also costs an arm and a leg to fix.
I think the big 3 all make decent trucks, but they also have their own Achilles heels, too.
My '01 has over 100,000 miles on it, and the only things I've had problems with are the 2 fuel pumps, which are diesel-related.
The rest of the truck's been fine, with normal maintenance-brake pads, etc.

Pulling my jeep loaded for bear on a trailer. 3/4 ton would be better suited but its back in to the I cant afford it territory. Really I can get away with something in the 6500 pound range but with plans to head to telico and beyond id like some extra security.

Ideally a 2wd 2dr Tahoe is what id like most. Do you have any idea how damn hard they are to find ? No one bought the 2wd version. 4wd is not on my priority list so why pay for the gas mileage it hogs. Not to mention the 4wd versions have lower trailering capacity.

Ironically I can find Suburbans galore in my price range. With gas inching up and down. Now theres a surprise ! I just dont need anything that big.

If I look at the reliability ratings according to my copy of the 2006 Consumer Reports buying guide, Ford's F-series or Chevy Silverado 1500's are pretty much equally good overall. These ratings go back to 1998. Fords start to have trouble in electrical and brakes, Chevy has troubles in brakes and body integrity. Dodges aren't even in the running; transmission, A/C, and brake woes await you there.
My two centavos.
Tom

If I look at the reliability ratings according to my copy of the 2006 Consumer Reports buying guide, Ford's F-series or Chevy Silverado 1500's are pretty much equally good overall. These ratings go back to 1998. Fords start to have trouble in electrical and brakes, Chevy has troubles in brakes and body integrity. Dodges aren't even in the running; transmission, A/C, and brake woes await you there.
My two centavos.
Tom

Good info ! Did not even think to check with CR.

Bummer is I was seriously considering a 99 Ram quad cab. There and tons for sale and down right cheap. That explains why..

Grumpy

3/4 ton would be better suited but its back in to the I cant afford it territory. Really I can get away with something in the 6500 pound range but with plans to head to telico and beyond id like some extra security.

I just talked to a couple of salesmen here.New the 1/2-3/4 ton spread is +/- $1500 for like trucks.Used it's about a grand.Also,2wd cuts about 50% off of those figures.

If it were me looking for a GM truck & wanted a 3/4 I'd keep in mind that they made more than one.Both an 8600lb 3/4 & a 9200lber.The latter is what's been popular because it's the chassis that supports the diesel.

BTW,if you want a 2wd utility you need to look South.The only 2wd's we stock are "beer cans" intended for fleets or broke people who want a new truck.

Been driving a Chevy S-10 LS since '95. Has been very reliable and what little maintenence it's had, has been reasonably priced.
YMMV (pun intended) ;)

We have an 04 F150 XLT that we bought new... now supports 12K miles without a single problem.

Had one recall but that was it.

We went looking for a truck that was about three years old looking for a deal... turns out we bought
a brand new one far cheaper than we could even touch a used one for.

With all the rebates and incentives, it was a no brainer. :thmbsp:

Scott

What about a Dodge Dakota?? You can find them cheap and their reliable. Not sure if they can tow as much as you'd like. Some have V-8 engines some have V-6 engines.

Problem in the Midwest is they sell something like 1000 4wd to 1 2wd. I am on a tight budget and forking over the extra grand for the 3/4 ton would mean giving up on the extra cab. Its not an option since we have 3 kids that have to travel with us.

I did some poking around on Dakota's and there is one that fits the bill but its very pricey. Plus I don't think the older (used ones) can handle the same towing as the new.

Its hard for me to consider a ford since I grew up in a Chevy house. That aside we had a ranger a few years ago and I absolutely hated it. Most unreliable POS Ive ever had. Now I did rent an F150 back around 2005. I will say that one one spacious ass truck. I could move the seat back so far my legs could not touch the pedals. It drove pretty nice and got good mileage too.

Thanks

Grumpy

Back
Top Bottom