Ford Dash Light Fiasco

Beatnik

What's this ?
My 2006 Ranger is down to one bulb out of six. Parts houses don't carry them, Rock Auto doesn't carry them, dealership wants 39.00 a piece that's 240.00 to do all six. I can't find any info on what these are, haven't taken the dash apart yet to see because which I guess is next. Ford part # is 10K925 and it's not the 194 that's in the 2000 model I have.

Or DIY, If I go to Radio Shack and grab some 12v led bulbs and somehow get them in there, will they dim ? I'm open to any ideas ?

From that part number, it looks very similar to the bulbs used in the instrument cluster in my 1988 Merkur XR4Ti. Last time these went out in any numbers, I took a 194 bulb, opened the wires out, and soldered them into the plastic sockets, after first removing the original bulbs. If I have to do it again, I would use LEDs.

Lee.

The ones on ebay say for 194 wont work. The forums are all over the place on this mess. I've read T10, T5 and T1.5 the last as sylvania 2721. I just gotta take it apart to check and put it back together to get parts.

Went and grabbed six of the 2721 bulbs, according to post #7 here it is what I need, but no one list it ? I hope so, it was 4.99 a pair.

The replacement bulbs I used were Sylvania #2721. These are for the gauge backlighting in the cluster. None of the catalogs list these but they are the correct voltage and wattage for my '04.

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/fo...cussion/270206-dash-bulbs-led-conversion.html

Also post #4 here.

Stock bulb for 04+ is the 2721.

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/interior-tech/77787-2004-instrument-lights.html

Why can no one at a parts store or dealership tell you this ?

Can't speak to the parts store, but generally speaking a dealership is in business to sell parts (amongst other things) not to provide crossreference for you to buy something elsewhere.

The connector sheet behind the panel on these things is a nightmare iirc. Intermittent guages the norm.

Why can no one at a parts store or dealership tell you this ?

Thread hijack.

Back in the late 80 in the height of the government auctions, I started collecting parts of the Hagglunds BV206 - a rubber tracked snow vehicle built in Sweden that our government bought. A customer of mine got me the parts catalog (TM) so I could ID the things I bought. The vehicle has a Mercedes engine and tranny, and all of the electrical parts are Bosch or Lucas.

When the manufacturer supplied the TM, it listed the Mercedes/Bosch/Lucas interchange numbers as well as their own part number. Problem was, when the government went looking for spares, the could shop those parts anywhere - not just from Hagglunds. They lost a whole bunch of business because of it.

When they modified the vehicle a few years later and provided a new TM, there were NO manufacturers part number - just their own, and no interchange. Instant increase in sales!!!

So did the old light bulbs only list their specs (watts, volts) and what type of bulb connector? Hadn't checked in used / junk yards?

I had the same issue. 2006 Ranger that needs the 4L5Z-10K925-AA socket/bulb.
The cheapest I found was $27-28 online.
Then I found this website - https://www.speedometerbulbs.com/
They have this item - Toshiba V2 Black T5 Socket TSD 74 bulb" for $4.99 each.
I have 2 bulbs out but I went ahead and bought an extra 5 for future use, if needed.
They fit great. They are a bit different in that they are sitting vertical versus horizontal once twisted in.
And the contact sits outside the circuit board versus inside with the bulb.
URL to exact product - https://www.speedometerbulbs.com/co...sler/products/toshibav2blackt5sockettsd74bulb

So did the old light bulbs only list their specs (watts, volts) and what type of bulb connector? Hadn't checked in used / junk yards?

I need to replace the two in the center again, by my post above it looks like I got three years out the Sylvanias.

Inrush Current Limiters or ICL's could be used and I've got to try them for the headlights.

I haven't used them yet, but find the instrument panel bulbs do last longer if you keep them dimmed when turned on and run them dimmed a bit , (if I can see the inst. enough).

Back
Top Bottom