Format Tweak at CIDR 93.9 The River??

Andyman

Scroungus Stereophilus
Subscriber
Is it just me, or are things getting a bit more "Classic Rock" on The River?

Last night I'm driving with my 15 year old daughter and Pink Floyd, "Us and Them" off DSOTM comes on and she says "You don't hear Floyd on The River too often" and I have to agree. This morning I'm driving in to work at 4:30AM (really!!) and something else more WCSX-ish comes on; I don't recall what it was, but I was surprised. Now this afternoon I've heard the Allman Brothers Band, "Statesboro Blues" and Led Zep "Going to California" since 2:00PM in about an hour of driving.

Quite honestly, I used to listen to The River and not know WTF was playing. Heck, I just figured out that the "ReHab" song was Amy Winehouse, who is some big deal I guess. Hearing this stuff is not the usual fare.

Anybody else notice this?? At least so far it's the "deeper cuts" and not "Rambli' Man" and "Rock n' Roll", but it's still a bit of a demographic/audience shift

Since they came back to their original format, they have been sprinkling in more classic rock tracks, the number of which seems to be very dependent on the DJ. Some focus on mainly new music, others have a little more priority. Personally, I hope they don't keep adding more classic rock. They have a fairly unique playlist and are one of the very few decent local stations left.

Agreed. The less classic rock, the better.

I listen ocassionally to The River. My favorite time on this station was right after they shifted formats, when they had few advertisers, and were trying to attract attention. No classic rock, few commercial breaks, and tons of artists I had never heard of as well. This lasted all of a couple of weeks. Downhill since IMO:thumbsdn: But I can't stand commercials, and I continue to cling to the hopelessly futile idea that WDET will start playing music again.

I'm a CBC Radio2 listener now. But if you don't like classical during the day, you're hosed. Jazz (and some cool latin grooves) from 6-8pm everyday and live music EVERY night from 8-10pm - one of the most impressive stations I've ever heard.....NO commercials, great tunes, good music education, and they even play VINYL:yes:

Jeff

I agree about CBC Radio2, it's 93.9 more often than not during the day and CBC radio in the evening. I'm to the point where music on WDET might night entice me back to listening to them.

I listen to both, but CBC2 doesn't have the "new" music shot I'm looking for and The River does. Well to a point. It's still a long way from Martin BanDyke and John Penny back on the old WDET, but it's about the best option I've found to discover newer music.

But I really don't need to hear Steve Miller and The Beatles on The River :no:

That Martin BanDyke guy is on 107.1, a station out of Ann Arbor. Not bad.

That Martin BanDyke guy is on 107.1, a station out of Ann Arbor. Not bad.

Yeah, I started listening to him last week.Kind of an 89X format though he manages to sneak in some different stuff.I'll prolly continue listening for awhile there certainly isn't anything much better going on.

David

Back
Top Bottom