Forte III's in Nebraska

teashea

I recently received a pair of walnut Forte III's. short story - wonderful.

I had a pair of original Forte's back in the day and remember them quite fondly. When I found out that Klipsch had introduced the Forte III I could not resist. I have three pair of Heresy III's and like them very much. One pair is used for one of my stereo systems and two pair are used for Viscount Legend organs. I have four other stereo systems, mostly using Legacy speakers (which have some similarity to Heritage speakers).

I ordered the speakers from a company on Ebay that has very good ratings. They were quite good to deal with. They shipped them promptly and I received them four days later via FedEx. The speakers were double boxed - thank goodness.... since the basic Klipsch boxing leaves much to be desired.

Upon unboxing them I gave them a careful examination (I am very fussy). They were in excellent condition, with one exception - a one inch flaw in the side edge of the front of a cabinet where the speaker had collided with something. Slight damage that is very fixable. It is evident that this did not happen in shipping since the cartons were undamaged. It must have happened before packing at the factory. I am contacting the seller to see if I can get some compensation. In any event I will keep them.

The construction of the speakers is excellent - in accordance with Klipsch's fine history of wood work and finishing. The veneer is very nice, not too dark and with nice grain pattern. The corners and edges are excellent - something that is not easy to manufacture on a consistent basis. I congratulate Klipsch for their attention to detail. The speaker grills are well done. As with my Heresy III's, I like the magnet method of attaching grills. I choose to leave on the rubber washers so that the grills stick out a bit from the face of the cabinet. I like that look and it makes it much easier to remove the grills.

I placed them about seven feet apart - seven feet from my listening position. Turning on a cd of Super Session, I was immediately impressed. They are so solid. It felt like I could reach through the speakers to touch Mike's guitar. More later........

One interesting thing about the Forte III's is the finish of the walnut wood. Unlike the oiled walnut finish I remember, the III's have a satin hard finish (seems like a polyurethane). It is well done and evenly applied. The amount of sheen is good.

I have also been listening to some more blues and classical music. I am very impressed with the sound. To me it is very balanced and even across the frequency spectrum. The horns sound even a little better to me that my Heresy III's. The bass is substantially better, as one would expect.

Back
Top Bottom