Forte

Willy6

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Got some forte 1s today circa 1986
Stacked them on top of my KLF-30s and hooked them all up to my sansui AU-X1
Although they sound awsome like this I just ordered new Crites crossovers and ti tweeter dome diaphragm for the fortes.20170731_161421.jpg 20170731_161355.jpg

Reconfigured them and been playing for 3 hours now and the X-1 hasn't even broke a sweat pretty efficient I'd say.20170731_173724.jpg

try them with the centre of the mid horn at your seated ear level which is around 39" up off the floor plus or minus depending upon you and your seating. This will provide the best stage and image. If you want more bass move them back to ward the front wall for additional loading and output.

try them with the centre of the mid horn at your seated ear level which is around 39" up off the floor plus or minus depending upon you and your seating. This will provide the best stage and image. If you want more bass move them back to ward the front wall for additional loading and output.
I need to build some stands for them as the risers were missing when I aquired them..

I had a pair of Forte and two pair of Forte ll both Forte ll are up on four post Skylan Stands one set is 14 inches the other is 16 inches the look and sound great. I don't have a photo of the Fort but these Harbeth M40 are a very similar sized cabinet which also uses a 12" woofer. I have included a photo of the Harbeth so you will have an idea of how the Forte looks up on them.

Attachments

• Skylan Stands with Harbeth M40.jpg
    Skylan Stands with Harbeth M40.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
I has a pair of Forte and two pair of Forte ll both Forte ll are up on four post Skylan Stands one set is 14 inches the other is 16 inches the look and sound great. I don't have a photo of the Fort but these Harbeth M40 are a very similar sized cabinet wHich also uses a 12" woofer. I have included a photo of the Harbeth so you will have an idea of how the Forte looks up on them.
I have a pair of klf 30's that are 14 inches taller then the forte so I was thinking of raising them up to the same height.

I has a pair of Forte and two pair of Forte ll both Forte ll are up on four post Skylan Stands one set is 14 inches the other is 16 inches the look and sound great. I don't have a photo of the Fort but these Harbeth M40 are a very similar sized cabinet wHich also uses a 12" woofer. I have included a photo of the Harbeth so you will have an idea of how the Forte looks up on them.
What do you think of the forte's Compared to the chorus?I've been on a Klipsch hunt lately and found a mint pair of chorus's today.

The key thing to remember is to place your mid drivers at your seated ear height that's what matters. So far as the Forte go I prefer the Forte ll. I have not owned the Chorus or Chorus ll but have heard them and again I like the Chorus ll. I have a set of KLF20 which I have turned into a three driver two way using some CF3 networks (had the CF3 as well) and a Karlson double cutaway K-Tube. For those who like horns you can look at Bob Crites's Cornscala "D".
Hypothetical question; if I was offered a Forte ll or a set of Chorus ll I would jump on the Chorus ll, much larger woofer much better woofer does not go as low as the Forte or Forte ll but it has way more impact and dynamics you never hear people complain about the bass of the Cornwall just the opposite. The Chorus and Chorus ll do require more power than a Cornwall or Cornwall ll so if you want to use small set amps the CW/CWll would be your best option but if you have some power or are will to get some then the Chorus or Chorus ll is the go to speaker.

The key thing to remember is to place your mid drivers at your seated ear height that's what matters. So far as the Forte go I prefer the Forte ll. I have not owned the Chorus or Chorus ll but have heard them and again I like the Chorus ll. I have a set of KLF20 which I have turned into a three driver two way using some CF3 networks (had the CF3 as well) and a Karlson double cutaway K-Tube. For those who like horns you can look at Bob Crites's Cornscala "D".
Hypothetical question; if I was offered a Forte ll or a set of Chorus ll I would jump on the Chorus ll, much larger woofer much better woofer does not go as low as the Forte or Forte ll but it has way more impact and dynamics you never hear people complain about the bass of the Cornwall just the opposite. The Chorus and Chorus ll do require more power than a Cornwall or Cornwall ll so if you want to use small set amps the CW/CWll would be your best option but if you have some power or are will to get some then the Chorus or Chorus ll is the go to speaker.
I collect sansui gear and I have several of their powerhouses so I think I'm gonna try and get those chorus 1's..

The crites crossovers came in the mail today and it looks to be a tight fit..Where would be the best spot to mount these things?I'm thinking the bottom of the speaker but it's kind of hard to get it under the bracing..

The crites crossovers came in the mail today and it looks to be a tight fit..Where would be the best spot to mount these things?I'm thinking the bottom of the speaker but it's kind of hard to get it under the bracing..
You can put it anywhere really

Can't wait to find a set of Chorus myself. Wonder if I would like them better than the Cornwall.

Can't wait to find a set of Chorus myself. Wonder if I would like them better than the Cornwall.
the Chorus was the replacement for the Cornwall ll. They are a smaller cabinet and use a far higher quality professional woofer with the same bass extension. The Chorus ll also have the fifteen inch passive and the hybrid conical/tractrix midhorn (K604 (the K604 can be used as an upgrade to the CWll K601 horn)). The cost of the smaller cabinet is a little efficiency. If you have a small set amp then the Cornwall or Cornwall ll would be the better choice but if you have a larger amp or you are willing to get the necessary power the Chorus will not fail to impress. You can easily extend your Chorus bass response by extending the two reflex vents to seven inches in length. A home made heavy craft paper insert will work like a charm. Easy and inexpensive and if you ever want to sell them as stock just as easy to reverse. Hope this is of interest.

the Chorus was the replacement for the Cornwall ll. They are a smaller cabinet and use a far higher quality professional woofer with the same bass extension. The Chorus ll also have the fifteen inch passive and the hybrid conical/tractrix midhorn (K604 (the K604 can be used as an upgrade to the CWll K601 horn)). The cost of the smaller cabinet is a little efficiency. If you have a small set amp then the Cornwall or Cornwall ll would be the better choice but if you have a larger amp or you are willing to get the necessary power the Chorus will not fail to impress. You can easily extend your Chorus bass response by extending the two reflex vents to seven inches in length. A home made heavy craft paper insert will work like a charm. Easy and inexpensive and if you ever want to sell them as stock just as easy to reverse. Hope this is of interest.
I'm interested but not comprehending the modification..are you saying to extend the two ports on the front bottom a few more inches?

Why didn't they make a Chorus 3 instead of Cornwall 3?

Heritage is popular and the fact that the way forward at the time was going to be in slim tall towers needed for surround systems simple they just followed where the market was headed.
The CW3 is a bit of a joke, it is nothing more than a reflex loaded fifteen inch based Heresy. What made the Cornwall better than a Heresy was the reflex loaded fifteen inch K33 woofer and the larger K600 mid horn. Making the mid horn smaller (K701 same horn used in H/H2/H3) is a definite step backwards for the Cornwall 3. All the upgrade mods you will find for Cornwall involve installing larger and better mid horns not smaller ones that distort more. Using a K701 in a modern speaker is not very impressive. What do you think is the improvement in the Forte 3? Its the new large and better designed lower distortion mid horn.

Costs had a lot to do with this decision. The Cornwall IIIs don't have the added cost of a 15in passive radiator that a Chorus III would of had. Also they replaced the K-600 horn with the K-700 horn on the Cornwall III(that's used in the Heresy as well, saving money with same parts) Had they built the Chorus III, they would have continued to make the k-61-k that was also used on the discontinued forte ii and quartet(again a cost savings they lost). The Cornwall design is also just a simple ported box.

I wonder if you could now make a Chorus III using the Forte III tweeter, midrange and passive with the Cornwall woofer (although I doubt Klipsch would sell the individual parts).

Back
Top Bottom