Found a Bigun'

scoville

The stars aligned in my favor and I was able to pick this up at an Estate Sale, 2nd day half price, bringing it into my range!

Attachments

• GEDC0638.JPG
    GEDC0638.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 180
The stars aligned in my favor and I was able to pick this up at an Estate Sale, 2nd day half price, bringing it into my range!
Looks like something Biggles would bring home ;-)

What's inside, Electrovoice? Nice looking cabinet...

Hmm, unable to rotate pic. It's an Altec Lansing 606 Mahogany Cabinet...I wonder what's inside?

Attachments

• GEDC0640.JPG
    GEDC0640.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 26
Well let me be the first to say a little prayer that you have an Altec 604 Duplex in there and that slot is a port rather than a horn opening! Let us know what you find inside...

Nice Avatar Sandstrom! You have that sign? When I finally got the hundred or so flathead screws out, It was not what I expected..., but not bad either!GEDC0643.JPG GEDC0644.JPG

Sorry to disappoint you Sand, not sure if I should be at this point either, or not! It's a 602a. With N3000A dividing network.

I think this one earlier than the 604. Perhaps not. This one 8 Ohms
604 born in late 1942, marketed early '43.

601's(12 inch) and 602's(15 inch) would come along about a decade later in the very early 50's. By this time most of the drivers in the consumer line were 8 ohms. The 604 is one of the few drivers that crossed the lines between their consumer products and their commercial install products in that time period.

Yes, I found some info. This is the consumer version. 8 Ohm. I wanted to test it side by side w/ my Jensen Studio Directors, but that is 16 ohm tap on my Fisher ST 101. It's in original cabinet and all wired up not going in there. I'll dig out my Bogen AP 30. Can I damage the Bogen with only 1 speaker hooked up mono? I'm regretting selling my Bogen Mono tube amp for a song now!

To be safe, i'd connect a load to the un-used channel. Since you're not going to send a signal to that channel, the load could even be a loudspeaker. Safe beats the heck outta sorry.

The danger comes from driving an output transformer's primary when the secondary is open/not connected to a load. Induction can cause dangerous levels of voltage to build up in the secondary winding until it finds somewhere to arc over to a ground, usually through a weak point in the insulation to the core or the primary. Either way, at that point you're in the search for a replacement transformer and whatever else the event took out back upstream.

I finally got this cleaned, hooked up and tested.GEDC0714.JPG GEDC0715.JPG GEDC0716.JPG
I ended up testing with my Marantz 2285B.
It really has some booming, luscious sound. Yes, the tweeter is working fine. I wish I had a larger home!
This looks to be a fairly simple cabinet to construct. I even have the Mahogany Veneer and Hardwood in the Garage.
It looks easy enough to pick up some 604's and crossovers on that site.
I'm really happy with my Jensen Stereo Directors, and they are more versatile to the layout I have with regards to the rotating drivers!
GEDC0734.JPG

Back
Top Bottom