Found a great set of speakers to match with the D150/MC152 Combo

Freo-1

I've had the Mac combo of the D150/MC152 combination for about a year and a half now. I always loved the D150 as a source for the headphone setup (KGSSHV/Stax 007 II) but was never enamored with the combo connected to a pair of ATC SCM19's. Although all the gear is excellent, it wasn't a great sounding match.

Some years ago, I obtained a pair of large floor standing speakers that had to be pit into storage until I moved into a house that could accommodate their usage. (T+A Criterion TB 160). They are pretty efficient (90 db/w or better), and rarely seen in the USA, as they were not imported.

When I connected the D150/MC152 combo to the TB 160's, I was floored. The combo sounds outstanding. The MC152 suddenly sounded like a very different (and much better) amp than I had heard from it before. The bass gets all the way down, no subwoofer needed with these speakers. The bass is also very tight, deep, and detailed. I can easily hear the correct pitch from various stand up acoustic bass instruments. Instruments sound very realistic, even horns sound realistic. The treble is pristine, much better than I've heard from my systems in the past.

The lesson I learned here is that there is a lot to be said for synergy with the playback system. The MC152 is a outstanding performer, much better than I first thought. Turns out it has plenty of power with the right speakers. Honestly, one can close their eyes when listening to a live symphonic recording and feel as if the event is live.

Very happy with this system!

Synergy is that which we all seek . . . I've typically found it easier to achieve with McIntosh power amps than other brands. There are of course exceptions to every rule.

It is amazing how different things sound as you seek that synergy. I remember my ADS L880 IIs and Vienna Acoustics speakers just didn't seem to fare well with my McIntosh amps and D100.

As soon as I swapped out the Viennas for the Aerial Acoustic Model 8s I was amazed. I found that sound and synergy I was looking for.

Congrats on your discovery!

Thanks for the feedback. I've been so impressed with this combo, I've decided to take the plunge and get a MCT 80 for the disc spinner. I can't wait to hear SACD's through this setup. I've got quite a few SACD's, so I thought the MCT 80 was worth the addition. Besides, it appears that disc players are starting to be phased out, so figured I get one to last.

This setup will be with me a long time.

image.php

Here is a picture of the speakers (T+A Criterion TB160) connected to the MC152.

Back
Top Bottom