Found a hoard of Sherwood and Bozak, plus another major score

index.php

AudioFan, if you would, please go back and pick up these speakers. I very much suspect they are JBL C39 Harlans from the 1957 to 1960 era, very collectible and valued. Let me buy one for our midcentury home and the other will make your mortgage note payment for a couple months. You do want to go back for these, and bring a helper...

Congrats! It don't get much better than that!

Every time I call about something with a vague description it turns out that they're not saying what it is 'cause it's junk.

Amazing, looks like you'll have plenty to keep you occupied the rest of summer and beyond. And definitely go check out those speakers in the back shack. They might be mousy but salvageable.

index.php

AudioFan, if you would, please go back and pick up these speakers. I very much suspect they are JBL C39 Harlans from the 1957 to 1960 era, very collectible and valued. Let me buy one for our midcentury home and the other will make your mortgage note payment for a couple months. You do want to go back for these, and bring a helper...

While I don't disagree with the content of the equipment, the issue of mouse nests, droppings and other health risks are a real and potentially dangerous issue. It might be a very good idea to engage a local company that specializes in clearing rodent infestations and getting materials out for cleaning or disposal before taking stock of anything that may be salvaged. No way to enjoy hi-fi if your infected with potentially deadly rodent borne viruses or diseases.

I am going back this coming Saturday for the Fisher console and a set of Bozak B-4005 Century speakers and some other smaller items I somehow left. I do believe you are correct, these may have been JBL C39's, but were gutted at some point and other drivers were put in. Below is another shot I took closer up, the crossover is missing, hence why I could not make any initial identification. What little I could see inside, the woofer was green/gold like University, not the JBL gray. I still plan to check them out further and if there is anything reasonably salvageable, I will try to get them out, but as I will detail below, within reason.

IMG_0356.jpg

Congrats! It don't get much better than that!

Every time I call about something with a vague description it turns out that they're not saying what it is 'cause it's junk.

In this case, all I knew was there was a "lot of old stereo gear". The fellow helping out the widow had no clue what it was or any names, etc.. I went there just out of pure curiosity. Like you, 99% of the time, a "lot" is 4-5 pieces of Yorx all in ones, etc., so this was truly one of those "wow" moments (after getting over the feeling he was taking me back in the woods to be his next victim, of course).

While I don't disagree with the content of the equipment, the issue of mouse nests, droppings and other health risks are a real and potentially dangerous issue. It might be a very good idea to engage a local company that specializes in clearing rodent infestations and getting materials out for cleaning or disposal before taking stock of anything that may be salvaged. No way to enjoy hi-fi if your infected with potentially deadly rodent borne viruses or diseases.

In addition to the contagions, there is also significant physical risks to consider. This shed was built off the ground and those two boards are resting on the front beam which is just a single 2x6 spanning about 12 ft across. I was VERY nervous that it may not hold my weight, much less grunting, pushing, shoving some rotting speaker enclosures over it with lots of exposed rusty nails everywhere. I am with you on the risk assessment here and am not inclined to go for them unless my next inspection convinces me otherwise. I mostly wanted that map cabinet just in the entrance. It is very well made, the drawers still slide easily, but again, same concerns.

Mech, being in the line of work that cleans hazardous and biohazardous wastes, the minute you engage said company, you have virtually negated the economic reasons to pursue vintage gear. They will want a grand for what you can do yourself in ten minutes. Common sense, Lysol wipes, a vacuum with a HEPA filter, nitrile gloves, and making sure you do not aerosolize the droppings will drop the risk factor by four nines.

I would estimate 80% of the homes in the US have mice incursions, and yet how many people a year drop dead from Hantavirus? It is one of those hazards that require general universal precautions, unless you live in one of the severely arid microclimates.

Fun stuff! Thanks for taking the time to post all the photos.

What's inside that AR 1? Not an expert by any means, but as I recall, if there's an Altec/Western Electric 755A in there, you're talking major $$$.

Yes indeed, that is my knowledge as well. When time permits, plan to figure out how to get into them to confirm.

Yes, holy moly. Great vintage stuff, but I still can't get over the B&W 803s - let alone the B&K stuff - for $200. Wow!

Indeed, I was so surprised, I captured the ad for future reference.
Preview.jpg

Wow, nice stuff. AR 1's are really rare. Looks like you will have to rent a storage locker.

Well, I am fortunate to have plenty of space to accommodate such large lots. About 3000 sq ft with 14' high peak. A former commercial cabinet workshop.

Wow........ nice scores.... and that's an understatement. I woulda' crapped myself if I walked into a building and saw all that Sherwood stuff sitting there!

Very nice @Audio Fan !

I have yet to hit ANY score really...well, nothing like this. I got some Apogee Centaurs for $175 once, that was by far the best "deal" I ever got...

But anyway, my wife was talking to her co-workers about some speakers and they said they have some "$3,000 speakers" they want to get rid of...I can have them for free...so I'm curious to find out what they are! My luck they will be Klipsch from Best Buy, or Bose 3-2-1 system or something...not that that stuff is bad, just not normally what I'm after, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, not to steal the thunder from your score. I would be "beside myself" if I ever found anything remotely like this. Have fun with it, and stay safe hauling the other stuff out!

Pic of the B&K components from the first transaction.
IMG_0342.jpg

Anyone familiar with this Bozak amp?
IMG_0374.jpg IMG_0375.jpg

Is that a Sherwood S-3300 tuner I see in the mix? Its the solid state one that doesn't look like the rest. Those show up rarely and for more money than I'd expect them to go for. Curious how well it actually performs.

Good eye. Indeed, that is exactly what it is. The one oddball of the bunch, for this lot. No idea why no matching SS amp.

AF, in all likelihood that was a contract amp for the Navy. They used them for submarine underwater communication "telephones," referenced here in their history writeup... Thanks to Bob

For the 1964 New York World's Fair, Bozak put forward a new loudspeaker design; this time in the Vatican Pavilion. Rudy and Bob worked tirelessly to develop an omni or hemispherical coverage ceiling-
mounted loudspeaker. The result was the 2-way, hemispherical CM-109-2. These were installed and operated with great success over the course of the fair.

Bozak accepted occasional United States Department of Defense contracts including an underwater low frequency driver intended for acoustic communication testing, an ultrasonic transducer that was flat to
40 KHz, and a vibration platform that Bozak employees called "The Shaker" which was meant to test the G-force integrity of electronic assemblies.

The company name changed from "The R.T. Bozak Manufacturing Co." to "Bozak, Inc" in the mid-late 1960s.

Also, I believe that Wayne Chou of CM(A) Laboratories had a major hand in developing Bozak amps, and was recognized by having CMA or CM as part of the naming nomenclature for the amps he designed or licensed to Bozak. You can dig for more details.

Good eye. Indeed, that is exactly what it is. The one oddball of the bunch, for this lot. No idea why no matching SS amp.

I've been sort of keeping my eye open for one just to pair with my early SS Sherwood amp. its the only reason I recognized it. People want actual money for them though, which is hard to justify for a $5 amplifier that lives in my front workshop, especially when I have a working tuner out there already.

Wow.....just wow. I think I would have had a stroke if I saw all that gear in one place. Congrats! :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom