Found a hoard of Sherwood and Bozak, plus another major score

The test gear is worth saving if you want--it's worth a few bucks for parts or what-not. I don't know how much you care. Some of those probably have good tubes in them--12AX7s, 5Y3GTs, 6DJ8s, probably some Amperex and Mullard.

Grab all the test gear and at least pull the tubes. Remember, an o-scope is a signal amplifier, closely related to audio gear. Usually lots of high quality small signal tubes. That power supply could be real handy if it still works.

BillWojo

This stuff is WAY over my head. But judging from the excitement here it's a haul. Congrats! Looking at those items that seem to have been exposed to the elements in a not to controlled environment I'd probably have passed. Especially looking at the the JBL C39 Harlan's condition.

Good luck on restoring all those! You have quite a bit of work ahead of you.

Now the B&W for $200? I'll take this ALL day 24/7!.

There are quite a few test gear there that I did not consider. Anyone see something worth considering?

Yeah, the HP scope. Open it up and you will know why.....

bugleboy.gif

Yes indeed, I am aware that within the scopes and test gear can lurk some quality tubes, however, they were suggesting they felt there was some good value in the test gear, so I did not make any real effort for it yet. I expect to get another chance to look around more, so when I do, I'll try to see if they are more interested in moving it out.

Last edited:
Anyone have any idea about this transformer? I am unable to find any information from the part#. There were about 6-7 of them, so am hoping they have an audio use.

IMG_0421 (1).jpg

I think that's a Thordarson transformer. If anyone has any catalogs of theirs from the 1950s or 1960s, that might ID it. They're not junk. Might be line transformers, not sure.

Somehow I feel like I should have been part of this endeavor.....
:beerchug:
Outstanding.

Certainly would have been more enjoyable with you there. Was really fun hunting through stuff not knowing what I might find in the next box, etc. Hope to go back at some point, there are still some areas to dig through.

I think that's a Thordarson transformer. If anyone has any catalogs of theirs from the 1950s or 1960s, that might ID it. They're not junk. Might be line transformers, not sure.

Thanks for some guidance. I'll see what I can find on Thordarson transformers. He had a McIntosh book with many different schematics for tube amps, so hoping they are part of some tube project he may have had in mind, McIntosh or not.

How many leads does that transformer have? I see two I think - could be a choke?

Play Things of Past (oldradioparts.com) has a crap ton of vintage transformers. They are sorted into types and you can't search the whole pile at once, but if you don't mind searching each page for that number, you might find one and learn what it is.

Couple of other links you might find helpful:

http://www.junkbox.com/electronics/vintagedatasheets.shtml
http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/xfm/

Based on what I've seen in a few minutes of searching, I agree the T suggests Thordarson.

There are other Thordarson transformers with similar codes on eBay--a T followed by 5 numbers. I looked through a bunch of catalogs and couldn't find anything. My guess is 1950s or possibly 1940s.

I looked through a lot of the Thordarson catalogs on BunkerofDoom, but also could not find anything. I don't think any numbers started with 59, so definitely not a common part number if it is a Thordarson transformer.

Here are a couple more pics.
IMG_2609.jpg IMG_2610.jpg

When I went to pickup the Harlans, there was also this computer server rack cabinet. It was free and very well built, so plan to put it to good use. It was in the same shed, but on its side and was apparently not getting wet because it is in pretty good shape.

IMG_2611.jpg IMG_2612.jpg

Last edited:
Ooh a rack is nice to have around. I found one (a bit shorter) and put my garage/shop building system into it. Much better protected than a conventional inside-the-house rack.

Back
Top Bottom