Found a pair of Acoustic Research speakers today, are they any good?

jbow

Player
Subscriber
They are Acoustic Research Studio Monitor series 1201. I know nothing about them. They are in a thrift store and they are asking 98.00 for the pair. What about it, are they worth having? Are they just ok or are they great or should I stay away from them. I have found a little positive stuff about some AR speakers but nothing regarding this particular "monitor".

They are liquid cooled and are in really good condition.

Thanks,

Julien

AR made some good speakers and they DO sound good, i'm not to sure on that particular model, those must be from late eighties maybe, someone will come along here soon to help--alot of knowlagable people on this forum. the bird

Are you sure those aren't Acoustic Design 1201's? If so, they are White Van speakers, and not worth 98 cents. Avoid! I don't recall Acoustic Research ever advertising "Liquid Cooled" on any of their loudspeakers, but such blurbs are common on White Van Scam speakers.

Caveat Emptor,

TP

Last edited:
Do those have the see thru poly woofers? if they do, then i would believe they are, some other cheap wana be acoustic brand--i would not buy them either. the bird

AR had a SRT line a while back that they sold to Sears and through
military PX's. I THINK SRT stood for "Studio Recording Transducer"

Researched one I saw on eBay several months ago as I had never
come across these models.

Found out they were made for price not performance.

Rgards,

Joe

Balthazarr,

When I found this:

"Sorry to say, the SRT's were a budget line developed specifically for Sears, and sold mostly through secondary channels. (Discounters, military PX, etc.)

They don't suck, given what they are. But they are not really of the normal AR quality level in terms of sound or build quality.

Ken Kantor"

I really stopped looking further.

Ken was VP of Technology at Jenson Int'l (which then owned AR) from 1990
thru 1997. These speakers were produced during his tenure.

Here a link to the (rather short) thread where I found this info.
http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/...&topic_id=401&mesg_id=401&listing_type=search

Regards,
Joe

These speakers had the exact wording on them: Acoustic Research Studio Monitor Series 1201. They also said something about liquid cooled speakers. I guess I should have had my camera with me. They look nothing like the ones in the ebay ad. It's out of the way but I guess i'll have to go back over there...

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks,

J

From Boston's Craig's List:

2, 125 Watt “Acoustic Research Dynamics” Liquid-cooled speakers (from early 80’s). 4 "Infinity" Ultra speakers. Big bass sound! $36 for all 6

Back
Top Bottom