Found a pair of Infinity RS625 for $175...Should I buy?

stevebuscemi

Hey, guys first post. I'm a bit of a newbie, any help/advice would be appreciated.

Is this a good deal? Or should I wait until this weekend when I can look around some thrift stores/pawn shops and try to find a better deal?

Right now I'm using some Panasonic SB-ZR30 speakers that I've had for awhile. Can't find much of anything on those, so I'm also wondering if anyone has any knowledge on them.

RS-625s are well-liked by those that like them. $175 is a primo price however. They had better be in perfect condition for that price, with surrounds replaced and crossover caps replaced too.

What's your budget? Is this around the most you're willing to spend, or will you pay more for significantly better speakers?

What other gear are you running? What amp?

How big is your space? What kind of music do you like?

(I'm trying!)
Haha, I appreciate the help!

I just picked up a Harmon Kardon HK 3390 receiver and Onkyo DX-C220 cd player for $60 together this weekend (the CD player doesn't work very well, but the receiver seems to be well worth the $60 alone). Along with those, I have an Audio Technica LP60 turntable.

Music? Rock, hip hop, pop, jazz, and country...Probably in that order too.

Picture of my space attached to give an idea. I still need to hang up that Zappa poster; I just moved recently. :D
0.jpg

Nice digs. Dig the Zappa and rug.
Nice little HK receiver but it's not going to run Infinities proper. Even though HK has good high-current watts, 80 is just getting started with the speakers you;re talking about. You'll be kicking yourself (or burning up drivers as distortion does) when you really want to jam Led Zeppelin!)
That's just the way it is with Infinities. They love power. 80 watts won't do it for rock and roll. I know. Smoked 4 receivers on my Infinities
They're like a Porsche 911 Sound like a basic VW beetle under 3,000 rpm, but become a Porsche over 4k.
A beefier amp in the future would do it with the HK as a preamp (assuming it has a variable pre-out?) That would be a sweet.cheap setup.
The cd player, pop the top and take a clean Q-Tip to the laser pickup and rails and get the dust and gunk out.
That's the easy way to usually get a cd player working again is get the gunk out that's built up.
Slap a good cartridge on your TT, put Frank on the wall where he can appreciate the music too, and rev it up!!
I still like those Infininities for 175. Probably sound better than what you got on the floor there, plus, you got an extra set of speakers to put somewhere else or trade to a buddy over beers someday (while listening to Zappa)..

Infinities aren't a bad deal as 432 says, but you'll want/need more power in the future (and the first/2nd/3rd pair is just the start... Amps being worse ;) ). You may be able to do better depending on the local market. Not familiar with your area.

Timeframe matters too. If you're good with scouring the thrifts for the next couple months don't rush. If you don't have time, energy, or interest for all that, grab the Infinities.

While I've never heard a pair of these, I'm going to disagree and say that the H/K will be just fine with them. Contrary to most Infinities, these are not a sealed design but instead consist of a woofer with a pair of PRs.

However, I do agree that you can probably get better for the money, especially in Nashville.

I had a pair of QB's for a while. Outstanding speakers. Should be out there for the money we're talking.

Last edited:
The design engineer for the RS-x25 product line at Infinity left, and now has his own loudspeaker company. The RS-625 was the top model. Here is a quirk: the RS-625, 525, and 425 used passive radiator enclosures, the RS-325 and 225 used bass reflex enclosures, and the RS-125 uses a sealed enclosure. All of the enclosures were top quality. I could see paying $175 for a clean pair. Might not run across any more nice ones.

Back
Top Bottom