Found A Pioneer QX-949

jmiles1960

I picked up a Pioneer QX-949 from an estate sale. The receiver has clearly been in dusty storage for a long time. I did a quick clean and was able to power it up in 2-Channel mode with my tape deck and it sounded fine. No static in the controls. The shear size and complexity of the receiver is daunting to the say the least. I know zero about how the Pioneer Quad's operate and probably will not keep it. The cabinet has a few minor scratches, blems, but everything is there; the Quad "scope" seems to have one light out, only 3 corners lit up. Comments or advice regarding keeping it or any interest, please contact me. This beast is just more receiver than I need, but I couldn't pass it up.

Does this receiver use considerable more AC power than my typical 30w / 50w receivers? I hate wasting electricity for nothing; I generally listen at fairly average levels using Advent-1's, etc... this receiver seems like over kill and if I'm wasting AC like running water, that's another reason not to keep it.

Thanks!

Look on the back panel at the spec sheet. The wattage there is MAX WATTS used under 100% operation. In 2 channel mode the 949 shouldn't use more than the "normal 2 channel" 30-50 watters.

Having said that. IT IS A BEAST. I have a QX-9900. It's actually 2 inches wider than my SX1010. But the versatility of 4 channels (matrix, and SQ) while listening to FM, Tape, or even 2 channel phono is there to be experimented with. Think of it this way. Instead of 2 separate amps and a tuner taking up space, you have all that in ONE LARGE Case. And the looks are cool. Get the Owners and Service Manual from the Archives (Owners only is there).

The 949 puts out 40WPC into 4 channels and 60WPC into 2 channels. It actually uses less per channel in quad mode than 2channel mode.

I'd say fix the light bulbs, get the owners manual, and do some experimenting. You might find you like it. It is a beast, so just watch your back lifting it.

Larry

Before going too far, checking it out with 4 speakers attached would be prudent. My QX-949 used to blow a channel every 8 months and had to be sent back to Pioneer for another 2 months while they fixed it. If it's the light in the display, then it's no big deal but it just might be the channel.

I have one of these beasties running in 2 channel mode. I don't have anything to play in quad mode, but it sure as hell impressive to have sitting there. The sound from it is great and the tuner is very reasonable as well.

The scope is pretty basic, I think it's only 1 lamp with "foils" moving in and out similar to a VU meter. A tech with a delicate touch should be able to fix it.

I say keep it :thmbsp:

Well my 949 "scope" had a dead light too. I turned it on, got the other lights on then bam I slaped the top of the cabnet over the scope, and booya! all fazers on captain. this thing is a beast it can take a hit try it.

Is the QX-949 better than the SX-1010?? You're comparing Apples and Oranges. Both are TOTL for their respective groupings.

SX-1010 is strictly 2 channel and Either 100W or 110W per channel depending on which manual/flyer/brochure you read.

However the 949, even with 40wpc, is more versatile if you know how to set it up. To GET THE BEST OUT OF IT, at minimum you have to get a 4 CHANNEL Turntable, 4 CHANNEL TAPE DECK, and the SOURCE MATERIAL to go with it.

The QUAD FORUMS are a good place to start asking questions about the 949, 9900 and the rest of the QUAD Receivers.

I will say my 9900 sounds better with 4 speakers hooked up than any 2 CHANNEL receivers I've heard with 4 hooked up. There's something there in the mix in a 4CHANNEL receiver that isn't there in a 2 channel machine.

Try stereomanuals.net. He's got Originals, but he also does OUTSTANDING Repros, at anywhere from 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the original.

I'd like to add that I bought a restored QX-949 from Don (see above post) with his leds in place and it is beautiful! I just had to lightly sand and refinish the case and it looks like new! Sounds WAAAAY better than it did when I bought my first one back in 1971. The leds bring the face to life and the sound is phenomenol. :D:thmbsp:

I can offer you this.

The brochure is from 1975. A stack of cool stuff in it, its about 48" long unfolded. It is just another scan, but its from the makers. The kind person that scanned this for me did a very nice job, I have had to re-size it to upload it, spoiling it a bit. pm me if you want full size.

If you like to conserve energy, you can start a whole new hobby with that alone. I'm guessing you like your music and dont want to listen to it through a solar powered transistor radio.
You could put a solar cell on the roof, with a battery and inverter. This wont make your fantastic find any more efficient, but you can feel good about it.

Last edited:
Removing Faceplate from QX-949

Greetings All,

I just took delivery of a QX-949 and need to get some DeOxit into the Tape A button which is sticking. How is that faceplate removed? I've looked online but have not found much.

Also, where can I buy the tuner string for any given Pioneer Receiver?

Thanks,

Lyman

I have one of these beasties running in 2 channel mode. I don't have anything to play in quad mode, :

Aren't there settings that allow you to play derived 4 channel from 2 channel sources ?( like a RM, or SQ matrix mode selector) I used to do this with my Kenwood quad receiver, and it always added a nice ambiance to the 2 channel source material.

I have the successor to your receiver, and it is an impressive looking beast. I have too many projects and too little time, so it's just sitting for now.

It's a great piece of equipment but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get that faceplate off!

- Lyman

Based on the PIONEER's that I've taken apart, do this.
1.) Remove case.
2.) Remove ALL KNOBS!
3.) Unscrew ANY Nuts on knob shafts (there should be at least 2)
4.) Look on the TOP and BOTTOM flanges for screws. Remove any found.

It should drop off in your hand.

If the Tuner knob is held on by a HEX Screw, it's size is 1.5mm

Larry

Thank you, Larry, much appreciated. I wish the 949 was that simple; it appears that the tuning string is going to have to come off as well as a plethora of other parts. Not looking forward to removing that string but will photograph it as well. It's unlike anything I've seen...such that I think I'm going to have to buy a manual.

You do not need to remove the tuning string to take off the front panel.

Tkae off the knobs. Remove the two top screws. Remove both wooden end pieces - there are three screws on each that tie the front panel to the chassis.

DH

Thank you, Larry, much appreciated. I wish the 949 was that simple; it appears that the tuning string is going to have to come off as well as a plethora of other parts. Not looking forward to removing that string but will photograph it as well. It's unlike anything I've seen...such that I think I'm going to have to buy a manual.

Pioneer QX-949 vs Pioneer SX-1010

Which one are better?
QX-949 have much better construction.
Well design.

Attachments

• 317189563_o.jpg
    317189563_o.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 317187152_o.jpg
    317187152_o.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 317170810_o.jpg
    317170810_o.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 317170790_o.jpg
    317170790_o.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 94
Greetings All,

I just took delivery of a QX-949 and need to get some DeOxit into the Tape A button which is sticking. How is that faceplate removed? I've looked online but have not found much.

Also, where can I buy the tuner string for any given Pioneer Receiver?

Thanks,

Lyman

Just guessing, but if it's like every other Pioneer I've opened....

1) Take the side screws off the cabinet, remove cover
2) There are probably 2 little screws along the top/front, securing the faceplate on, remove these.
3) Gently pull all the knobs/switches off. Behind two of these, there are probably skinny little hex nuts. Take a pair of needle-nose pliers and remove the hex nuts.
4) Gently pull the faceplate off.

Edit- I'm slow in figuring out obvious things tonight. This has been answered a few times already. Ignore my post.

Back
Top Bottom