Found A Pioneer QX-949

Which one are better?
QX-949 have much better construction.
Well design.

I'll put my 1974 SX-1010 up against your 949 anyday. The 1010 was the TOP BANANA for PIONEER for 1974-75. The QX949 was the TOTL for quad from PIONEER. Same Manufacturing standards. The 1010 basically started the RECEIVER WARS! You look at the construction methods and the materials in both and then tell me that the 949 is constructed better. Horse puckey!

Considering 20+ manufacturers, FCC, and everyone else couldn't get their collective S#%^ together to make one 4 channel format, it's surprising that Pioneer actually held on thru 1976 making a QUAD receiver.

SX-1010.jpg

SX-1010nudie.jpg

The 949 is pretty and all but when you get down to specs in FM selectivity and THD to name a few I think you'll find the 949 behind the 1010.

I'll like to know if somebody in the earth have the "Original" Papers and manual for the Pioneer QX-949.
Every place that I go, I found a Scanners copy from the original.
I like to buy this Original manual if somebody have one.
The QX-949 are better than Pioneer 1010? The QX-949 have a well done construction inside that looks closed a Marantz 4400.

Hijack,

Set up eBay to send you emails with new auctions matching your descriptions every day. Eventually you will find what you are looking for.

I'll put my 1974 SX-1010 up against your 949 anyday. The 1010 was the TOP BANANA for PIONEER for 1974-75. The QX949 was the TOTL for quad from PIONEER. Same Manufacturing standards. The 1010 basically started the RECEIVER WARS! You look at the construction methods and the materials in both and then tell me that the 949 is constructed better. Horse puckey!

Considering 20+ manufacturers, FCC, and everyone else couldn't get their collective S#%^ together to make one 4 channel format, it's surprising that Pioneer actually held on thru 1976 making a QUAD receiver.

SX-1010.jpg

SX-1010nudie.jpg

The 949 is pretty and all but when you get down to specs in FM selectivity and THD to name a few I think you'll find the 949 behind the 1010.

What was the reason for the eventual demise of these 4-Channel Quads?

Basically the same reason for the demise of BETA vs VHS in 1980's. No one could come to an understanding of having just one good decoder. Everyone had to have their own decoder and for the most part the proprietary ones were NOT compatable between brands. they were also quite complex, large, and EXPENSIVE! The average person just wanted a good 2 channel stereo. It seemed that only the "Audiophiles" were getting 4channel and doing some good with it, and they were few and far between. Also with 10-20 different manufacturers touting "QUAD" with no real compatability between them, and all the different versions the consumers were confused as to what they had and said basically "SCREW IT!"
Plus the broadcasters wanted just one standard and until the manufacturers got their collective heads out, there was little if no interest by the broadcasters to buy extra transmitters and associated equipment.

Take a DVD player, split the L&R outputs and run them into a QUAD Receiver LF,RF,LR,RR. You'll hear some but not all the decoding. It's crude, but it does work. It sounds better than 2 channel. Not as good as 5.1 But you don't have 4 cubes and a sub. You've got 4 matched(god i hope you do)Full spectrum speakers that will sound one hell of a lot better. Try all your settings. IIRC DOLBY HT was derived in part or whole from the DISCRETE Version of QUAD. More than likely one of the Matrix settings will sound best.

Larry

Picking up my new to me QX-949 tomorrow. Guess I'll get a chance to compare it with my SX-1010.
Pix to follow...

Basically the same reason for the demise of BETA vs VHS in 1980's. No one could come to an understanding of having just one good decoder. Everyone had to have their own decoder and for the most part the proprietary ones were NOT compatable between brands. they were also quite complex, large, and EXPENSIVE! The average person just wanted a good 2 channel stereo. It seemed that only the "Audiophiles" were getting 4channel and doing some good with it, and they were few and far between. Also with 10-20 different manufacturers touting "QUAD" with no real compatability between them, and all the different versions the consumers were confused as to what they had and said basically "SCREW IT!"
Plus the broadcasters wanted just one standard and until the manufacturers got their collective heads out, there was little if no interest by the broadcasters to buy extra transmitters and associated equipment.

Take a DVD player, split the L&R outputs and run them into a QUAD Receiver LF,RF,LR,RR. You'll hear some but not all the decoding. It's crude, but it does work. It sounds better than 2 channel. Not as good as 5.1 But you don't have 4 cubes and a sub. You've got 4 matched(god i hope you do)Full spectrum speakers that will sound one hell of a lot better. Try all your settings. IIRC DOLBY HT was derived in part or whole from the DISCRETE Version of QUAD. More than likely one of the Matrix settings will sound best.

Larry

Thanks Larry. Very much akin to the YEARS it took the modem manufacturers to arrive at a compatible standard.

Best,

Lyman

I can hear shades of dual layer V's blue ray. That debate happened pretty quick compared to the '70's.

I think the SX-1010 was the best availabe, and so was the QX-949, just different beasts.
They are both TOTL in their respective feilds.

Danny.

Howdy!
I have a 949A and a 9900, love both of them! Can't beat a high powered quadraphonic with reverb and PA!

On another note:
I'm refurbishing my 949A and I was curious about the circuit controlling the display.
All 4 lights light up when signal is applied, but the rear- right isn't as strong as the other 3.
Anyone have an idea?

On another note:
I'm refurbishing my 949A and I was curious about the circuit controlling the display.
All 4 lights light up when signal is applied, but the rear- right isn't as strong as the other 3.
Anyone have an idea?
Start a new thread :) maybe I'll look at the docs and see how it ticks, but the best way to test is with a ext sine osc and check levels accurately rather than using audio as a source.
Nice to see another 9900 owner

Thank you,
I will soon
I can't wait to rebuild my 9900 with new parts!
I rebuilt the 949A power supply
Both fully functional but they need updated

Back
Top Bottom