1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Found a rare Motion Feedback console - need help!

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Lazerbrains, Dec 7, 2018 at 5:32 PM.

1. Lazerbrains

Lazerbrains New Member

I love consoles. Just picked up this one, and it seems to be quite rare - all the information I can find is that it was sold in the MPX's in the 60's. Panasonic SE-9000HG. Apparently it has "motion feedback" technology - pretty neat, I though only the earlier Panasonic/National tube receivers had that - this one is solid state and they were pretty proud of that fact judging by the huge silver badge on the front. At any rate, I've cleaned it up, got the tape player and changer working nicely, but it needs some going through on the amp end of things. I pulled the amp/receiver to clean the pots and the circuit looks pretty complex. I'm hoping someone on here might have a copy of the schematic for this one? Would really like to get this rehabbed - the sound is amazing, especially for a console.

Resized_20181207_083836_1444.jpeg

Resized_20181207_083929_2688.jpeg

b437a6d6d447463afee8019e51bc940f.jpg

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Lavane

Lavane AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice looking console. It looks to have a pretty nice TT compared to many.

Lazerbrains likes this.
  3. Lazerbrains

Lazerbrains New Member

It's Matsushita so early Technics I guess. LOL. It actually has a nicely designed mechanism but is a heavy tracker with ceramic cartridge. I will likely change it out - I have a few nicer changers that will fit in there.

4. kaplang

kaplang Works for me ! Subscriber

Nice!
    Instead you should keep the original TT in the console and use the weight to correct for heavyness. Keeping it original would be best

Dazaa and Lazerbrains like this.
  5. Lazerbrains

Lazerbrains New Member

I would but the weight is not adjustable, and no anti-skate. Also, I don't like the sound of ceramic cartridge. Whatever I do, it will be reversable and I will keep the original TT. I'm a console veteran/addict don't worry.

6. 62vauxhall

62vauxhall AK Subscriber Subscriber

Since nobody else asked, what is "Motion Feedback Technology"?

Nightwisher and Katalyst like this.

7. bigaltx24

bigaltx24 AK Subscriber Subscriber

IIRC it uses a small amplifier on the speaker that sets up a feedback loop to cancel distortion. Gorgeous console, I'm jealous.

Nightwisher likes this.
  8. century tek

century tek Super Member

9. That thing is so cool! I've never seen a console with a Reel to Reel.
    Any chance you could carefully remove the turntable and hook a different on in it's place with the option of replacing the original later?
    Is there no way to adjust the counter weights to dial in a different cart?

Lazerbrains likes this.
  10. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

There are different names for it but basically it all comes back to a second coil in the woofer that acts sort-of like a microphone to "hear" what the woofer is actually doing. That gets fed back to the amp to allow it to correct for speaker-related distortion. Its negative feedback taken to the next level so it includes the speaker system as well. Interesting concept, but it requires the amp and speakers to be designed for it. Far more practical to do in something like this vs a home stereo where you might want to mix and match things.

If the TT has a removable headshell, possible a lighter one would be sufficient to get the tracking weight down for whatever mag cart you want to run. Short of that and an adjustable main weight, attaching an aux weight to the back will get it done.

Lazerbrains and Nightwisher like this.
  11. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

I have never seen anything but those horrific-looking (IMO of course) late 60's Magnavox consoles. I can't believe anyone thought that was a good look....ever. But that one is SWEET!

Lazerbrains likes this.

12. Lazerbrains

Lazerbrains New Member

Seems to be no way to adjust tracking weight - I think it's meant to only work with the cart that is on it.
    My plan is to put a different changer in there and keep this one to put it back to stock original. It's got enough room that it should be easy to do without destroying anything.

My understanding is it somewhat allows it to compensate for the room it's in also. I was pretty impressed with the sound when I first turned it on. The speakers are 3 way and sealed . I did take it to a repairman yesterday, I'll see if I can get some photos of the speaker design when I get it back.

13. tarior

tarior Dirty pool, old man? Subscriber

That is a great looking piece of furniture.

Lazerbrains likes this.
  14. vwestlife

vwestlife Well-Known Member

On most of these vintage record changers the stylus pressure is adjusted via spring tension. Usually there is either a screw to adjust it, or the spring has multiple attachment points it can be hooked onto to adjust the tension.

15. Lazerbrains

Lazerbrains New Member

Yeah, not this one.

16. CarlH

CarlH New Member

This is the arm on my SE 9000HG, it looks complicated with all kinds of stuff in there. But I was not able to adjust the weight. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

Lazerbrains likes this.

17. Ds2000

Ds2000 All About every cool stereo component. Subscriber

That’s a beauty.

Lazerbrains likes this.