Found a rare Motion Feedback console - need help!

Lazerbrains

I love consoles. Just picked up this one, and it seems to be quite rare - all the information I can find is that it was sold in the MPX's in the 60's. Panasonic SE-9000HG. Apparently it has "motion feedback" technology - pretty neat, I though only the earlier Panasonic/National tube receivers had that - this one is solid state and they were pretty proud of that fact judging by the huge silver badge on the front. At any rate, I've cleaned it up, got the tape player and changer working nicely, but it needs some going through on the amp end of things. I pulled the amp/receiver to clean the pots and the circuit looks pretty complex. I'm hoping someone on here might have a copy of the schematic for this one? Would really like to get this rehabbed - the sound is amazing, especially for a console.

Resized_20181207_083836_1444.jpeg

Resized_20181207_083929_2688.jpeg

b437a6d6d447463afee8019e51bc940f.jpg

Nice looking console. It looks to have a pretty nice TT compared to many.

It's Matsushita so early Technics I guess. LOL. It actually has a nicely designed mechanism but is a heavy tracker with ceramic cartridge. I will likely change it out - I have a few nicer changers that will fit in there.

It's Matsushita so early Technics I guess. LOL. It actually has a nicely designed mechanism but is a heavy tracker with ceramic cartridge. I will likely change it out - I have a few nicer changers that will fit in there.
Nice!
Instead you should keep the original TT in the console and use the weight to correct for heavyness. Keeping it original would be best

Nice!
Instead you should keep the original TT in the console and use the weight to correct for heavyness. Keeping it original would be best

I would but the weight is not adjustable, and no anti-skate. Also, I don't like the sound of ceramic cartridge. Whatever I do, it will be reversable and I will keep the original TT. I'm a console veteran/addict don't worry.

That thing is so cool! I've never seen a console with a Reel to Reel.
Any chance you could carefully remove the turntable and hook a different on in it's place with the option of replacing the original later?
Is there no way to adjust the counter weights to dial in a different cart?

There are different names for it but basically it all comes back to a second coil in the woofer that acts sort-of like a microphone to "hear" what the woofer is actually doing. That gets fed back to the amp to allow it to correct for speaker-related distortion. Its negative feedback taken to the next level so it includes the speaker system as well. Interesting concept, but it requires the amp and speakers to be designed for it. Far more practical to do in something like this vs a home stereo where you might want to mix and match things.

If the TT has a removable headshell, possible a lighter one would be sufficient to get the tracking weight down for whatever mag cart you want to run. Short of that and an adjustable main weight, attaching an aux weight to the back will get it done.

I have never seen anything but those horrific-looking (IMO of course) late 60's Magnavox consoles. I can't believe anyone thought that was a good look....ever. But that one is SWEET!

Any chance you could carefully remove the turntable and hook a different on in it's place with the option of replacing the original later?
Is there no way to adjust the counter weights to dial in a different cart?

Seems to be no way to adjust tracking weight - I think it's meant to only work with the cart that is on it.
My plan is to put a different changer in there and keep this one to put it back to stock original. It's got enough room that it should be easy to do without destroying anything.

There are different names for it but basically it all comes back to a second coil in the woofer that acts sort-of like a microphone to "hear" what the woofer is actually doing. That gets fed back to the amp to allow it to correct for speaker-related distortion. Its negative feedback taken to the next level so it includes the speaker system as well. .

My understanding is it somewhat allows it to compensate for the room it's in also. I was pretty impressed with the sound when I first turned it on. The speakers are 3 way and sealed . I did take it to a repairman yesterday, I'll see if I can get some photos of the speaker design when I get it back.

Seems to be no way to adjust tracking weight - I think it's meant to only work with the cart that is on it.
On most of these vintage record changers the stylus pressure is adjusted via spring tension. Usually there is either a screw to adjust it, or the spring has multiple attachment points it can be hooked onto to adjust the tension.

I would but the weight is not adjustable, and no anti-skate. Also, I don't like the sound of ceramic cartridge. Whatever I do, it will be reversable and I will keep the original TT. I'm a console veteran/addict don't worry.
This is the arm on my SE 9000HG, it looks complicated with all kinds of stuff in there. But I was not able to adjust the weight. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20181210_214415.jpg
    IMG_20181210_214415.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 54
Got the amplifier back from repair. Yesterday I recapped the crossovers, and hooked up a BIC 960 with a preamp.
"WOW" is all I can say - actually hard to believe it is solid state. Warm and full with better imaging than my Grundig and Fisher tube consoles - I'm assuming the verticle baffles between the speakers help with that. Build quality and bracing is excellent, as observed when recapping the speakers. The speakers on this console are actually sealed boxes and seem well-tuned. Who woulda thunk from Panasonic, but this was obviously a high end console for them. Going to refit the BIC into the console - it really deserves a better changer than what is in it.

So good question - any problems with using a phono preamp into the original (ceramic) phono inputs? I would rather have it there and keep the AUX available for when I want to bluetooth stream.

Last edited:
This is the arm on my SE 9000HG, it looks complicated with all kinds of stuff in there. But I was not able to adjust the weight. Any ideas?

There is no real way to adjust the tracking weight, and there is no anti-skate. I am switching mine to a nicer changer.

So how does it sound?

I assume you mean through the original phono input? It sounds fine. I only have a cheap preamp to test it right now so hard to make a full comparison, but it does not sound unbalanced nor distorted. It is somewhat louder than using the AUX.

Back
Top Bottom