Found a saba console HI FI today

drh4683

digital is overrated
Just picked up this beauty at an estate sale today for $75.00. A saba stereo 3000 with automatic tuning (like a wonderbar radio) The set even worked when I found it, both channels too. This set is from 1963, I have the stereo 2000 which is a more basic model.
This sets sound quality will blow you away! Sounds good with the EL95 outputs. On the right speaker grille is a metal hang on tag that says this saba HIFI is FM stereo equipped. inside is a seperate stereo multiplexer sub chassis. The multiplexer is an optional add on by saba and was made by Fisher. FM stereo works excellent. What is interesting to note, the motorized tuner is constantly operating. Since this set does not have AFC, you can see the dial knob slightly rocking back and fourth keeping FM stations perfectly tuned in! You can select manual mode to turn off the motorized tuning.
The set appears to be all original, all original tubes and a nice original Dual turntable. Like most german made consoles I find, they seem to always come with their manuals and paperwork.

Its strange to see the FM stereo tag is still hanging on this unit for the past 40 years.

The chassis view. The little sub chassis you see is the optional Fisher FM stereo multiplexer unit.

I have a real weakness for units like these: Grundig, Loewe, etc. Many have a stereo SE amp using EL84 or similar output tubes. They are NOT easy to work on, IMO!

But the output transformers are remarkably good quality, seemingly across all the brands.

Tubino

Sweet console. I dig most any console, but the tube ones are awesome indeed. I've seen a few like this one at the local thrifts and they wanted 250 bucks or something freaking ridiculous. Though If I find a convex faced Telefunkin I would probably pay that just because they are so way cool. Glad to know I'm not the only console-aholic around here. I figure a nice clean one is furniture you can use :D ............. though occasionally only as a place to stack other smaller consoles :rolleyes:

They are not easy to work on, find schematics or tubes for and be carefull of those old German PS litics. There is a little hole in the center and sometimes there might be a residue. Don't touch it unless you can wash your hands right away. It is acid and since it is dried it is concentrated. Its like getting the acid from your car battery on you. Burns holes fairly quick. I didn't get a hole but got a good burn on my wrist.

Back
Top Bottom