Found Any Good <$10/Bottle Wines?

I like Johan Klauss whites. I'm not sure if Mondoro Asti is under ten bucks but it tastes great to me - good enough to pick it for my wedding toast. I guess you can tell I like wine that is juicy and a bit on the sugary side. No I'm not what you'd call a wine commonsewer.

Jerry,
AS my Mom says......good more for us ! :banana: :music: I used to be fooled by wines above 30 plus, not anymore buddy.......I buy local to my area under 15.00 with or without screw ...... :yes: :smoke:

Lefty,
Good screw top? How 'bout some Thunderbird? Screw off the top and dump in a package of Grape Kool Ade. Shake vigorously, drink very quickly, before the froth dissappears from the bottle. Has a little bit of a bite, but then again, if you are gonna poison yourself with this crap, you knew that to begin with! Cheers!

JimmyNeutron said:
You're right, it's french.

If you want a decent Chianti that is good for every day use then go to HEB (that's our local grocery store, I think Kroger also carries this) and find the small tweed wrapped bottle of Chianti (the brand escapes me, but the bottle look is unmistakeable). It runs about $9.00, and like I said is wrapped in tweed. Very good stuff.
I think you mean wrapped in reed, or straw, not tweed.dont you?

We visited the Pillitteri Estates winery in Niagara, 3 years ago. Their Vidal icewine is world-class, but most of their collection was amazing, at 9-18$ per bottle. Some reserves 20-35$. Amazing. Yes, amazing. 905-468-3147 will sell directly as well. www.pillitteri.com.

Finding these inexpensive "sleepers" is one of my favorite hobbies. Check out the Bogle Vineyards Cab and Chard...both are under $8 at Total Wine. Also love the Concannon Chard, runs just south of $9...and comes in a strangely heavy bottle.

THANK YOU cortr !!!!! I didn't respond to the some folks here commonly known as wine snobbs that WASTE money on over rated/over priced wine that bashed me about screw tops and referenced that crap called MD 20/20......I WAS NOT referring to that junk......thanks for support!
Fab :banana:

Bonny Doon makes some excellent California wines which happen to be in my back yard ! :music: :music: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

Last edited:
Also great screw-tops from New Zealand--Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc is world-class, comes in a screw-top and, at least around here, will retail on deal for $9.99. The Aussies make good bag-in-a-box stuff, too. We've known for a long time that a significant proportion of production is ruined by bacterially-infected corks. You can SO2 'em to death and they'll still "cork" your vino. Hence the number of screw-tops and silicon "corks."

Favorits and Bonny Doon Screw Top

Here are some of my favorite local wines under 15.99 a bottle. Two of them are Contra Costa County. What is "Contra Costa County"? The largest fastest growing County in California! Several towns produce excellent wines.....like Bllomfield in Brentwood and Hannah Nicole also from Brentwood, my neighbor towns.....Bonny Doons screw top shown is excellent grown in Santa Cruz.....Who thought I drank ghetto wines ? :nono:

Attachments

• DSC00067.JPG
    DSC00067.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00068.JPG
    DSC00068.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC00069.JPG
    DSC00069.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC00073.JPG
    DSC00073.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC00074.JPG
    DSC00074.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 8
Big bad Reds....

Yah I've got some of those "high" dollar heavy reds too ! :lmao: :lmao: :wave:
Opus One: $400.00 plus a bottle
Margaux: $149.00 a pop
The rest were gifts, but are high dollar reds...
At least a grand for all these conservatively speaking...... :yes:
So much for that 20/20 crapo! :music: :music: :music:

Attachments

• DSC00079.JPG
    DSC00079.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 8
fabvsix said:
Yah I've got some of those "high" dollar heavy reds too ! :lmao: :lmao: :wave:
Opus One: $400.00 plus a bottle
Margaux: $149.00 a pop
The rest were gifts, but are high dollar reds...
At least a grand for all these conservatively speaking...... :yes:
So much for that 20/20 crapo! :music: :music: :music:
when i was a teenager growing up, my 'rents always had something like a nice margaux on the table. and they wondered why i never did my homework... :scratch2:

back then it was ~$3-$4 a bottle. then, within about a month or so (this was somewhere back around 1971), all of a sudden the nice bordeaux's like the margaux's were ~$20-$30 a bottle. the 'rents could no longer afford the good stuff, & that's when i started examining the labels before i would let them pour me a glass. i have been a wine snob ever since - i have a hard time enjoying cheap wine. it's a real treat to find something for $10 that even comes *close* to a margaux. if anyone has any tips for the nice dry velvety red's, lemme know! :)

doug s.

dougs:
Do you like Zinfandel from NCAL ? We have a lady who refused to sell her 100 year old wine crop. Rosenblum cellars sells it out of Alameda Ca. San Francisco Bay (Actually my home town of Antioch) "Carla's Vineyard:
Carla's vineyards, some over 100 years old, are mostly head pruned and dry farmed. They are located at the entrance to the San Francisco bay in Contra Costa County, California. The sparse production per vine and the cool evening breezes produce perfectly ripe Zinfandel fruit.
The vineyards are named after long-time grower Tony Cutino's daughter, Carla Meadows, who has been a superlative supporter of saving these heritage vineyards from the clutches of real estate developers.
The wine posesses an enchanting, vibrant black cherry fruit in the bouquet. The flavor includes rich black cherry, chocolate, currant and vanilla spice....

It is an amazing wine rated at 92 pts. for $19.99.......

All of Kent Rosenblum's zins are good. And from the East Bay, Fred Cline's Oakley zins are a bargain. But I interpreted Doug S's post to mean he was looking for something in the syle of a Margaux. Was I mistaken?

CortR said:
All of Kent Rosenblum's zins are good. And from the East Bay, Fred Cline's Oakley zins are a bargain. But I interpreted Doug S's post to mean he was looking for something in the syle of a Margaux. Was I mistaken?
no, *not* mistaken - i prefer a dry, smooth velvety red like the margaux bordeaux's. not a big fan of fruity wines. nouveau beaujelais is about as sweet/light as i can enjoy... re: white wines, i cannot tolerate most any of them. a nice dry graves or pouilly fuisse i can handle...

doug s.

Then you should try Bonny Doons " Vin Gris De Cigare" dry pink that is mighty good. I too don't care for fruity wines, l like em dry........this one is a keeper....

fabvsix said:
Then you should try Bonny Doons " Vin Gris De Cigare" dry pink that is mighty good. I too don't care for fruity wines, l like em dry........this one is a keeper....
Agreed. Also Big House Red. Laurel Glen makes an inexpensive blend simply called "Reds" that's a perennial winner. And in spite of the dollars' weakness against the Euro, there's a legion of imports offering good drinking at under $10 a pop. Since you're in Maryland, Doug S. you have a great opportunity to get some outstanding French reds at super prices--just look for "Robert Kacher selections." The Maryland/DC area was where he first got his start and consequently his stocklist has great representation there. Never met a Bobby Kacher wine I didn't like. Also look for another DC/maryland importer--Dan Kravitz of Hand Picked Selections. Again, you just can't go wrong. Kravitz is out of Warrenton,Virginia as I recollect.

Last edited:
Cost Plus carries that wine too. Also I bought that french one you mentioned for $5.99 a bottle and it was VERY good.......I learned not to spend big bucks on wine anymore, as there are many local wineries with great wines at great prices ! Fook the french ! Has anyone tried the chard from Virginia ? :yes: :yes:

I'm having a bottle of Handley's with my halibut tonight. Ever had their wines ? Another excellent buy for the money.... :yes:

Milla Handley was/is (haven't seen her in several years)a friend and we were her Texas distributor--along with Bonny Doon, Laurel Glen,Rosenblum, and Cline--among about three hundred others. Always like her work.

Back
Top Bottom