Found HH Scott 222C, trashed, and brought it back to life...

awf_ul

Found in pieces, filled with filth, cord cut, cabinet veneer peeling. Restored it to a very, very good condition. Checked caps, cleaned pots. Slowly, cautiously bring each subsection up limiting current, checking voltages at every step. Replaced selenium bridge and increased R to 30ohms, 12ax7 string at 37 volts now at 46 volts (<12v x 4). Output 7189 tube started to arc, apparently ionizing leakage; quickly powered off, then slowly again. Ordered set of four russian 6p14p tubes, just in case. Set tube balance. Still unstable, but finally able to hear static and hum! The hum only through open phono input with max volume; no hum on high level tuner inputs! More cleaning, gluing veneer, restaining, and it now is very quiet and stable and pretty! My first tube amp, my wife and I listened to it, and truly, it was almost a religious experience! Anyhow, got this and an Akai 4400 Reel to Reel for $15, a bonus free box of components and a first edition of Ghirardi's "Modern Radio Servicing", 1935.
The only thing is it doesn't have a bottom metal panel, and it needs an oem power knob (these are the same as the LK series too?). Does anyone know who may have this kind of thing? It would be a shame to not complete the job,such a survivor. Thanks for the read!

Attachments

• HHScott-1.jpg
    HHScott-1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 214
  • DSCN8105.JPG
    DSCN8105.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 209
Welcome to AK. Kudos! The ol' Scott is looking good, but I would be seriously concerned about its capacitors. There's plenty to read here regarding that issue.

Thank You! I do understand the cap issues and catastrophic failure, and would have recapped it right away. I checked for crazy ripple on scope, listened for hum - nothing. So I went forward, for now, worried more about selenium to go bang. But will change the old paper bypass right away. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks all; now ordering all HV bypass caps, scope output looks good too. Repainted transformers and polished aluminum. Hmm, maybe add small quiet fan - maybe make it last even longer...

Last edited:
Good work. Nice that your faceplate is in undamaged condition too. Mine was not. Keep an eye on the still-original caps.

HHScott 222C-1.jpg Update: replaced all coupling caps with polypropylene. ordered pair of matched 12ax7 because one phono channel was crackling upon warm up, as well as seeming slightly unbalanced. Not tubes, but indeed one Ceracap (mylar, not paper) changed from .022 to .018 400v and was breaking down; all others fine but changed them all out except in tone controls. Ordered new HV caps to repack large electrolytics someday, but for now they measure and behave very well - the amp is dead quiet on tuner input at full volume, and a gentle hum on unloaded phono input. No clicks or pops. The cabinet unfortunately was stained by water and despite a vigorous light sanding. I had to stain the cabinet dark walnut but it came out very very well, the grain really pops, and finished it with a matte clear Krylon (invisible) to protect it as it was prone to scratching. I think I'd like a satin instead.

Thank You all for the advice and your postings which helped a lot. Regards, and Thanks for the read.

PS Looking for a power knob and metal bottom, if anyone knows of a HH Scott 222C being parted out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom