The changeable systems in the front room(s)

Very cool stuff!

I'm curious about the diagram on the TT, but can't quite make it out.
That's the arc diagrams on the cover of the extra arm mount hole. These high tech graphics on some of the 1980s gear added a certain mechanical "coolness" to the look

Thanks for the interesting details!
I hope they will both start working again soon :)

Have you heard them before? because its hard to me to believe you never heard them before and you are trying to get one working pair of those monoblocks so "obsessevly" without even hearing them.

I had the 80M monos by Stax, they were wonderful. AFAIAC, Stax Industries, (the family owned pre 1996) gear is without equal. It was more of a challenge vs. an obsession.

well, waiting for good pictures of those beasts... because there is no good pictures on google:biggrin:
Meant to add, search DMA-X2, that's the model I have in the box. There are some good pics and a decent translated description of the circuit design to be found.

Well one of the Stax amps still had an issue, so he came and picked up. Back on the bench, we're hoping for this coming Thursday. In the meantime, I put the little Bryston back online and truthfully it's about 80% of the Stax, so my plan is to keep it in and only use the big'uns for more critical listening, the 2B-LP for the rest of the more casual or background listening. It only takes about 4 mins to switch the speaker cable from one to the other, and the big amps are always connected via XLR, so that's not an issue.

The pre is the longest serving piece in the system. I can't fault it, so it never gives me upgrade-itis.
I've got the Denon PRA 1000 and it is honestly really good. I've been looking for a while for the bigger brother... if I can find it for a good price. Love vintage Denon.

Don't ever sell it... unless it's to me :)

Great system you've got!

I've got the Denon PRA 1000 and it is honestly really good. I've been looking for a while for the bigger brother... if I can find it for a good price. Love vintage Denon.

Don't ever sell it... unless it's to me :)

Great system you've got!
I see the Denon 2000 a few times a year, usually they're not too over the top, price wise. There is also a Z and this one here, RG variant. All are great preamps and worth your while.
There's no plan to replace it unless one of the mega preamps from mid 90s, Japanese market shows up for less than an arm and a leg.

While the Kenwood L-07D is famously unobtainable for most of us let me put in a little plug for the KD750 and KD770 as they are as closer to paradise as some of us hope to or might get. OK I'm ever so slightly jealous but still sharing and enjoying your system. That system rocks dude! As some of my younger friends might say.."sweet"

Denon equipment is often under the radar. Of course the DL103 is legionary and the Denon TT have their following but their amps and preamps don't have quite the sashays of The Kenwood Ls, Yamaha Bs, etc but again they are closer to paradise than many audiophiles might think or even consider. If you get to A- for half ( or a third) of the price well..that works for me. Ok, I'm still churning in my mind how did you find that Kenwood L-07D? It's like how do you get to Carnage hall? Practice? No, you take the A train.

Of course the Kenwood L-07D would look great with L07 amp and preamp but I'm again just envious because I own the later and not the former. But thanks for sharing! Your system looks great! My whole post is said with a wink and a smile. Michael

Well that TT is the product of a lucky trade. I happened to have a good CD transport just sitting, and a good buddy has a shop in NJ, so when he found out I had the transport for which he had a customer, he offered to trade. Being I wanted a TT desperately, and had a L-07D in 1990 or so, I jumped. It's a s good a deck as I'll ever need.
For Denon, well it's interesting. This pre was the last iteration of the 2000 series and was a huge change of direction as the next separates from them would be the S1. For this pre, all was changed, everything became fully balanced differential topology, the MC section has 2 hand wound pc-occ transformers, a killer RIAA MM section, balanced input and outputs, all aluminum, steel, brass and wood construction, and a nearly 40lb weight as a result. The matching amp, the POA-3000RG is also a super sleeper. Buying both at the time set one back a cool $8k US. I lucked into this for a very good deal almost 9 years ago and it's still here.
Having had the L-07M and C some 2 decades ago, I can say the Denon RG gear is a different league. Unfortunately this has caught on, and "finds" are hard to come by now.

While the Kenwood L-07D is famously unobtainable for most of us let me put in a little plug for the KD750 and KD770 as they are as closer to paradise as some of us hope to or might get. OK I'm ever so slightly jealous but still sharing and enjoying your system. That system rocks dude! As some of my younger friends might say.."sweet"

Denon equipment is often under the radar. Of course the DL103 is legionary and the Denon TT have their following but their amps and preamps don't have quite the sashays of The Kenwood Ls, Yamaha Bs, etc but again they are closer to paradise than many audiophiles might think or even consider. If you get to A- for half ( or a third) of the price well..that works for me. Ok, I'm still churning in my mind how did you find that Kenwood L-07D? It's like how do you get to Carnage hall? Practice? No, you take the A train.

Of course the Kenwood L-07D would look great with L07 amp and preamp but I'm again just envious because I own the later and not the former. But thanks for sharing! Your system looks great! My whole post is said with a wink and a smile. Michael

Very kind words, thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom