Found my hifi mojo again, and I'm having fun!

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by Ds2000, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Ds2000

Ds2000 All About every cool stereo component. Subscriber

So the JVC comes in to run things for a little while. Unsurprisingly, this amp gives up little to the 100 pound heavier Onkyo.
    Differences I’ve noticed:
    1 maybe a little brighter, but it’s not been on for a while yet.
    2 it is a little less well defined in the upper bass and midrange. A little congestion is evident.
    3 as with the above statement, the dynamics are a little suppressed. Both macro and micro, the picture is a little smaller.
    4 bass is nearly equal, but is softer with the JVC. A little wooly and fat. Interestingly the M-L10 is a voltage reducing amp, capping power at 200 watts per at 4 ohms via voltage suppression. But in its operating range, it’s anything but dry and uninvolving. In fact it seems to keep pace with these speakers nicely.
    5 that the Onkyo is essentially a step up isn’t a surprise. It cost double the money, has like 5x the transformer rating in the power supply and 28 large outputs to make use of that supply. What’s really neat is how well the JVC stacks up.

I’ll probably let it stay up on the pedestal for a while.
    701C1072-DF87-418D-A364-AF730DCA7033.jpeg 970C5581-B1B2-469D-8A54-A722DDFC6343.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    jdmccall, GD70, Audio Fan and 2 others like this.
  2. GD70

GD70 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey Tim,

I just read through this again, it's been a while. Quite the audio gear journey!
    So when is the STAX due back and when are you moving? I'm sure you'll be thrilled to have more gear and listening space.

Glenn

3. Ds2000

The move may wait til I’m done with college, I’ll likely do an accelerated masters that’s being offered. This will only add one year.
    The Stax, well I have eight parts, waiting on 24 more from a member here. They are small transistors, and that’s the end of it. So maybe a month or so.
    I’m definitely liking the JVC, Tom is busy at work on the pre, so maybe the two will co-run the front end for a while. Once the Stax returns, I’ll go between them and the JVC.
    Tom also worked on the amp some, all of it was preventative.
    Moving that Onkyo was a real pain tho. I had to do it alone.

4. Ds2000

Onkyo’s final Grand Integra badged components, and from the group behind the 5090, 510, GS-1, Scepter 5001.
    Impressive build and heavy! 127 pounds between the two.
    The amp has had cap work, new speaker terminals and an IEC socket installed. The CD player has had a major Parts ConneXion clock and output stage mod. Also has a 20amp IEC socket and much improved output jacks. The single pic is all cleaned up.
    E0D262CB-4AA0-4ACC-B970-8C641E81EFDD.jpeg 08223232-3A84-4D66-B182-5E65EF8C7DF7.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    MATT0404 and Nightwisher like this.