Found on ubid.com

Iolaus

Kenwood KS-707EX-H 6.1-Ch. 600W Home Theatre Spk (minus Sub) @ $12 a set
http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=10417857

It looks like a warehouse has been cleared out; there's almost 600 sets available!

Anybody got any opinions on this stuff? I'm looking for a low budget 7.1 starter set, just to get a HT up and running; at that price I could buy 2 sets, to get the seventh speaker, and still have a 5 unit set left over! It would leave more money for the sub of my choice as well.

Well Iolaus, its worth 12 bucks if your on a tight budget, really cant beat the price, as for the sound of them, I would not recomend them for their sound. the bird

That looks like a great deal! Better yet, get three sets, double up on the speakers for the main room and you'll still have speakers left over for another room.

Quote, manny: "Ni!"

Noooooo, noooo, please, I implore you.....

:D

Good point. And if one is running one of those cheapie ht sytems ($29.00), which are far better than the system built into your tv most of the time, these would make a great upgrade over their bose-wanna-be cubes, I'm sure.

Pete

Well, I'm already going to be spending more than I should be, in order to get a Pioneer VSX-1015 (maybe), and it's my wife's income (I've gone back to school), so I've got to be careful how much I blow at one time. This is going to be a long term project. :thmbsp:

Well at 1.7% the cost of the BOTL Bose system, how can you go wrong. I mean, sonically, not much difference. Right? :naughty: Ok you still need a sub. But, $100.00 (on sale) will buy one from PE that blow the Bose "bass module" away. Of that, I'm sure.

MannyE said:
That looks like a great deal! Better yet, get three sets, double up on the speakers for the main room and you'll still have speakers left over for another room.
Were you just kidding, or are you serious? If so, how would it be done, hoook-up wise?

Forgive the noob questions, but the only experience I have with systems is an all-in-one 190W Panasonic pre-fab, about five years ago! It recently took a s**t and I'm going to try to slowly build up something worthwhile to replace it.

The receiver's the first step, and I've got a $30 Best Buy DVD/CD player running thru my TV, which is still being amp'd thru the old system (that much still works), so if I can find a decent tuner at a local thrift shop, and get some cheap speakers, at least I'll have a "working system" that I can then begin to upgrade.

Last edited:
Wow!! I just checked out the shipping cost to Orange County... $42.57!!! More than three times the cost of the speakers!

Maybe I need to rethink this!

Iolaus said:
Wow!! I just checked out the shipping cost to Orange County... $42.57!!! More than three times the cost of the speakers!

Maybe I need to rethink this!

I was going to reply about the shipping, but had to run into a meeting. Looks like you found out yourself.
There is a guy selling them all over ebay for about $80 - $90 with $30.00 shipping, so the Ubid price is still a better deal. But are they worth $60.00???? :scratch2:

Actually, I wasn't kidding, but not with the shipping scam.

When I saw the speakers initially, I figured they might be good candidates for the Radio Shack Minimus 7 treatment, where you took two M7s and stuck them together using a special DIY bracket. IMO Minimus 7s were a great sounding bargain when you could find them on sale at Rat Shack, two of them hooked up in top to top position with a slight angle sounded much better than a pair of 19.95 or 29.95 (it was a long time ago, and I forget the clearance prices...but they were cheap as shite) speakers had any right to sound.

At 12.95, it looked like you had another one of those bargains on your hands. Although, I have a theory that the aluminum cabinets on the M7s were part of the secret, and who knows what 1/4 inch particle board those cabinets are made of...

At 60 bucks shipping, I would say pass. You'll probably get the same quality of sound from some Monsoon computer speakers and at least they come with a sub.

Oh, and cool sig, but chardonnay and chocolate covered strawberries? Jeez, how about a bottle of Jack and a Cuban cigar? That's more like it! lol...just joshin' ya.

MannyE said:
Oh, and cool sig, but chardonnay and chocolate covered strawberries? Jeez, how about a bottle of Jack and a Cuban cigar? That's more like it! lol...just joshin' ya.
It's the thought that counts; my personal preference would be "...to skid in sideways at six-thirty in the morning - wearing dark sunglasses and bringing the last ¼ of a bottle of The Macallen for the ride up...", but in my opinion, you don't mess with common quotes. :thmbsp:

How do you thinke they'd sound with 600 watts going into them? Would it be a "sizzzzlle", or more like a "POOOF!"?

That's UBID for you, shipping is outrageous and the sole reason prices are so cheap 99% of the time with the shipping UBID's prices exceed everyone elses ;)

Ive gotten some killer deals on Ubid.You just have to wait for the one cent shipping auctions.Thats how I got one pair of my emerald 97's so cheap,etc.
Jimmy

Back
Top Bottom