Found this at the re-store in a pile next to dumpster

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by Cathead45, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Cathead45

Cathead45 Member

There it sat in a pile next to the dumpster. I looked at it and almost left it there. Brought it home plugged it in and nothing! I opened it up blew out the controls with compressed air and gave each one a shot of DeoxIT then let it set for about an hour. plugged it in again and the one face light lit up. I then started to work all the controls for the next hour. At that time I hooked up my Bose 201's (because I did not care if I blew them) and sure enough the left channel played FM. Gave it another healthy shot of DeoxIT and worked that in for another 1/2 hour. Well at that time both channels were working. Pulled the plug and gave it a deep clean and other than 2 panel lights and the signal meter every thing is working as it should. Have been playing it for about 4 to 5 hours for the last few days and this thing rocks! Its better to be lucky than good at times.

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. dcreek

dcreek Active Member

Congratulations!
    Well done!
    Dumpster finds (wipe that smug smile off your face)!

3. tuberadios69

tuberadios69 AK Subscriber Subscriber

The SX650 was one of the best selling Pioneer receivers ever! I worked for them from 1977 to 1996 and remember it well. Highly promoted in all the leading stereo magazines of the day! Consumer Reports downgraded the "650" due to the horizontal input jacks on the back panel allegedly being prone to dust contamination. So, the Marketing Dept. made a trip to Consumers Union in NY and explained why we did certain things like the unconventional input/output/ac jacks positioning. It made It way easier to connect components when you could simply lean over the receiver and look straight down at the jacks! As long as you used all or the majority of inputs, dust wouldn't be a problem! These were great units and are still popular today. Great find! And, fantastic cleanup job by you!

parman and Dave1384 like this.
  4. Dave1384

Dave1384 Stuck in the 70's

Nice save .
    Disheartening these don’t get more respect . I found one down the street from me in the original box .

5. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

That thing was ultra filthy, but looks like it ended up in the right hands. Congrats, and plan on a full recap for maximum benefit and longevity.

Or.....play it til it blows up. Hell, you're not out anything but elbow grease.

Oh, and those bulbs up top are simple to replace. Someone on ebay sells them, and maybe here as well. If all else fails, I think I still have a few.

Bruno Primas likes this.
  6. EngineerNate

EngineerNate AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've got one in the stack to restore. :)

Nice save!

7. bbqjoe

bbqjoe Void where Prohibited Subscriber

I don't know about anyone else, but I always throw my stereo away when it gets dirty or dusty!

8. Watthour

Watthour Electron Rancher - JS3600

All it needs are some feet so that it can get some air into the bottom, and you should be set.

9. Cathead45

Cathead45 Member

Feet are there, that table has padding so it sinks in. Just put it there for photos.
    He He...what smile?

10. VINTAGE-CAPER

VINTAGE-CAPER Member

WOW !! Nice find! Awesome clean up job!!

11. Marine0811

Marine0811 I love it loud! Subscriber

Nice find for sure!!!

12. dzkfraser

dzkfraser Well-Known Member

Not sure I understand, You looked at it and almost left it there?
    What madness is this?

JJCalvillo and Dave1384 like this.
  13. parman

parman ex tapehead Subscriber

I saw one for sale last month for $250, looked about the same as yours looked

14. Bruno Primas

Bruno Primas Active Member

.....especially the power supply and amplifier boards. It's better if you up the voltage on the caps in these areas. Anything under 50v I replaced with 50v. Anything 50v, replace with 63v. Start with the power supply......

onwardjames likes this.
  15. Dave1384

Dave1384 Stuck in the 70's

Indeed .

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  16. JJCalvillo

JJCalvillo Active Member

How do you clean a unit that is coated in grunge like that? Some dust will come off by spraying air at it, other stuff will need to be wiped, right? Are you using a soft paintbrush with some type of cleaner?

17. nathan stuch

nathan stuch New Member

18. 8xlaxx

8xlaxx It's all ball bearings nowadays. Subscriber

Nice save & cleanup!

Doesn't look like dust/grime on the faceplate around the speaker and volume knobs, either. Looks like nicotine stain,...can't imagine the previous owner's lungs.

19. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

Dumpster Zombies are the best.

They always work.

Pretty stuff is always broken.

sunvalleylaw likes this.
  20. Markoneswift

Markoneswift Quartz locked n ready to rock

At the hospice warehouse where I volunteer, I sometimes find stuff in the electronics recycling dumpster. A while back, I pulled a nice pair of Mordaunt Short speakers from there and all they needed were surrounds replacing. The AR90s I found were also about to go in the dumpster.....

Lazarus Long likes this.