Found this to be some good reading

Excellent site. I am sure we have a link to Roger's reviews pages.
He has listed all the equipment reviews for about 30 years worth of HiFi, Stereo Review, and Audio (IIRC).
Roger will sell a copy for $5.
That's a good thing, and I wouldn't say not to buy 'em from him
BUT, as a public librarian, I would like to say most libraries would have those titles in their periodicals dept., and copies are usually not more than a dime a page.

pete

Pete

I wish that was true with my local library but it was completely renovated and they dumped just about anything that was old. :(

:eek:

:(

Administrators and bean counters.
Sheesh.

ps. I originally trained as a archivist. That may explain why things come in and seldom go out ;)

Yes that Site is excellent to refer to as it has a whole database right there that you can search for what model was reviewed in which month/year issue. I have referred to it often in times past. In fact- what he did, is what I wanted to do- construct a complete computerized database to make searching for info much easier, rather than relying on memory and going through stacks & stacks of mags, or doing it manually (writing it on paper and keeping in a binder as I have done before when I came across interesting stuff that I didnt want to forget where I read it from ) - I also have a huge collection of Stereo Reviews, Audio, High Fidelity etc..- Fortunately I was smart to save those I bought new as a teenager 20+ years ago and Thanks to Ebay in the past 3 years, I was able to fill in my collection with alot of other issues.

I still would like to do something along the lines of what Roger did- to include a database of not just reviews- but also ads of the models that appeared in those mags and also a database of reviews from my collection of various Hi Fi Buying Guides- receivers, amps, tuners, speakers, tape machines- you name it- but thats gonna be alot of work- as I still have to go thru every issue and every page and see whats in there in order to compile a list and enter it in a database. Perhaps I can cut down on the time and effort by using the mag's December year End Index which lists a summary of what was in the mag for the past year but for the ads- I still have to go thru them page by page. Or perhaps scanning alot of this stuff in and transferring them to cd-rom would be a good idea (to cut donw on typing all the info in the computer) - maybe make a disc for Sansui, another for just Pioneer etc...

If I did want to make a computerized database, I was wondering which program would be best to use- Access? I know some people seem to like using an Excel spreadsheet- but I'm not sure why- as Excel seems to be designed to process numbers rather than text. I was just reading a review of a database pgm called File Maker Pro that is regarded very highly- I will look into that one- the review stated it is in many ways much more straightforward and intuitive than Access. If I'm not mistaken File Maker Pro sounds like an updated version of Pro File (a DOS pgm from about 1987) that Ive used at work some years ago- and I will agree that it was very simple and straightforward to use.

BeatleFred

I think Wardsweb would be the one to ask about a program for organizing you collection. Hes is a brain when it come to stuff like that. I am more like Pinky when it comes to puters Duhhhh :withstpd:

grumpy

While we're on the subject, I did want to mention that I do have 2nd copies of vintage hi fi mags. I acquired them because some of the Sellers I bought the mags from didnt want to break up any issues- so in order to get the issues I needed, I had to accept some I already had.

I am going to list which issues I have in the For Sale section here. If anyone's interested to buy them, feel free to email me. Ive been meaning to finally put them on Ebay in order to make more room down here in my basement where I have all my hi fi stuff set up. The extra mags are just taking up space that I really need to use now. So, before I do finally put em on the Bay- figure I'd let you guys know.

To make life easier- it would be helpful to sell them all to one person rather than break it up, this issue to that person, that issue to another etc..., but I'll see how it goes. As for price, sigh.... thats tough to say. I am trying to use Ebay as a guide to see what they go for and whether they sell better sold individually or together. For now, anyone is welcome to email me with a $$ Offer. Its not that I dont want to be extra-generous to the regulars here and sell them for peanuts- but the fact is I have spent alot of money to buy alot of the mags and brochures, etc that I have- I actually just spent close to $200 to buy some Sansui brochures on Ebay from someone in Germany. (And just to Wire the money over there- that was another $25 fee the bank charged). So, being able to sell these mags for a reasonable price I feel is only being fair and helps to offset the cost for the things that I am buying on Ebay and will still continue to do so as there are still some issues I am lookign for.

Sincerely, B/F.

Back
Top Bottom