Frank Zappa's "Haloween 78" DVD - Audio released today reviewd

AudioLancelot

Omniscientist
Joe Chicarelli along with Dweezil Zappa remixed the Halloween 78 concert on DVD-A through DTS Entertainment of which was released today. Further plans may include the release of "Apostophe" and "Overnite Sensation" quad mixes as well as at least one DVD-A 5.1 surround project a year. The UMRK (Zappa's studio) is being rebuilt for 5.1 after being dormant for about 8 years.

The review as posted

" Picked up a copy of Halloween from Media Play today. Nice disc. I don't own many "live" discs, but of the ones I do, this is by far the closest to a "you are there" experience. When the wife was out of the house, I cranked it up to as loud as my system could handle safely, and it sounded pretty close to what I remember Zappa concerts sounding like. The bass was great, could really feel the kick drum in the chest. Frank's guitar sounds great especially during the instrumentals. The surrounds are constantly active used mainly for audience and ambient support. Occasionally, a few pecussion instruments would find a home in the rears. The main exception is "Zeets" which is a drum solo that flys around the room. It's a very fun concert with classics such as "Camarillo Brillo", "Dina-Moe Humm", "Don't Eat Yellow Snow", "Stink-Foot", "Dancin' Fool", to name a few. If you dislike F.Z. this release probably won't do much to change your opinion, but to all Frank fans, I can't recommend this disc highly enough.

Good job to all those responsible for this release."

Okay, I'm in. Who is the drummer/s?

I basically cut Frank loose when he got into the real sophomoric stuff, but Chester Thompson, or the combo of Ralph Humphries AND Chester Thompson on drums is worth the price of admission alone.

If it was Aynsley Dunbar (it's not) it would be a totally different story. My personal favorite, Frank used to intro him as "He's my two new drummers!"

Thanks Lancelot.

Toasted Almond

Back
Top Bottom