FrankenFest Winter 2018 Seminars

Discussion in 'Events & Happenings' started by w1jim, Jan 16, 2018.

1. w1jim

w1jim I can fix it but good... Subscriber

2. LexDM3

LexDM3 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Raspberry Pi-based Digital Music Server session:
    I would be happy to put on a short session where participants could learn about and maybe even put together and configure a Raspberry Pi-based (RPi) server using (free) Volumio software.

What can it do for you?
    - Connect to your wired and/or wireless network(s)
    - Stream digital files from a network server or from PC/Mac computers, smart phones, etc.
    - Act as an Airplay device to play streams from any Airplay-transmitting devices
    - Play a wide variety of streaming radio stations and you can add your own
    - Play through a variety of DACs all the way up to DSD128. (The onboard analog out isn't great.)
    - Be a high quality signal source for analog components or powered speakers

Up for this? If so, decide whether you want to just watch or if you want to build your own. If you want to build one to take home, bring the following:

- A Raspberry Pi 3B board. These cost $35 or so. Micro Center in Cambridge has them on sale for $30.
    The RPi 3B has wired and wireless ports, Bluetooth, 4 USB ports, lots of memory, etc.

- An RPi power supply good for at least 2 amps. $7-11.

- A Class 10 or better MicroSD memory card. 4Gb should do it but play safe and get 8Gb.

- Maybe a case but you'll need one that fits whatever DAC you'll use (see below).

- Optional: An I2S DAC that has good quality and leaves the RPi USB ports dedicated to data.
    The HiFiBerry DAC+ is a good choice. See their bundles.
    There are many other I2S DACs. See the Volumio shop.

- You can also bring your USB DAC and USB cable.

- Also, please bring an ethernet cable if you can in case we need/want to hard wire during config.

If you go with the RPi 3B, power supply, 8Gb memory, HiFiBerry DAC+ RCA and no case config, the whole show should cost you about $90 or so.

Any takers? Here's my Volumio screen as I write this. I'm listening to Radio Paradise from California.
    Volumio Screen Shot 16-Jan-18.jpg

PS - If 1-2 other people want to do this with me, that would be great.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    dlucy likes this.
  3. baco99

baco99 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Mac friendly?

4. LexDM3

LexDM3 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sure! You only need something that can connect to the same network and run a browser to configure and use it.

5. amb3cog

amb3cog AK Subscriber Subscriber

Wow that is tempting. I've been wanting to try this. I'm a wiz with the puters, and was just going to figure it out by myself. It's not that hard from what I've read. But to have someone right there to help is very tempting. I wasn't really planning on making it between my crappy car, and having to work. But you are really tempting me.

No commitment yet. But trust me. I'll be thinking about it. I need to do some research first too though. I may just want to build a streamer, and use a DAC I already have. I like the idea of i2s though. And there's one version I've seen that gets great reviews. It's only around $50 too. It certainty wouldn't hurt to try it at that price I guess. Now I just need to stop buying speakers for a week, or two. So I can afford it. Lol

Great idea either way, and I hope others see the potential here too. These are awesome. For me half the motivation is to stop using my expensive laptop as my music machine. It's either listen to music, or use the laptop. I mean it has speakers too, but umm just No. Even if they're Bang and Olufsen. They sound terrible. I definitely need a streamer.

6. GD70

GD70 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Come to Frankenfest! It's good for you!

7. amb3cog

Glenn you're a great guy, but such an enabler. lol

I want to. I really do. But I have to work that day. I work every weekend. We'll see though. I might be able to work something out, or things may change. Who knows.

Andy B.

8. GD70

GD70 AK Subscriber Subscriber

IMG_2626.jpg IMG_2625.jpg IMG_2624.jpg IMG_2627.jpg IMG_2632.jpg IMG_2634.jpg IMG_2647.jpg IMG_3322.jpg IMG_3323.jpg IMG_1802.jpg
    Here's more temptation! Some past Fests.

baco99 likes this.
  9. amb3cog

Thanks Glenn. Just what I needed. Lol