Frankensounds

Woa!

I can be in Peoria IL in less than 4 hours.

:D

Now, if I move the sofa out and dump that useless coffee table....

????????????????

Not bad but I would like to have been the one to have sold him the oak and black glass. . . . .They might sound great and you could live with their looks but as with most home projects you never get your money out of them. . .Limited more by only selling local. . .Actually he is not far from me and there are certain things I do like about these speakers. . . .But a starting bid of 1000.00 seems high to me. I might contact him if they dont sell and drive over and check them out.

$200 for 2 pcs of smoked glass?
must be bullet proof glass.
Over $800 for oak trim?
must be from one of those exotic oak trees.

LOL exotic oak trees yeah, that's the ticket. You know bookasan, it's rather like exotic copper mines. :D

Anyone care to take a stab at the logic of mounting a midrange/tweeter at floor level? Not to mention removing the lens from the horn so that the high frequency soundwaves stay in a tightly focused beam aimed at your toes.

Last edited:
That was my question Don. Except for the trimmings and the holes cut into the boxes they look like regular 604 8-G boxes to me, including the original BPs. I didn't see anything about crossover work either.

Tweeter level

With over 800 bucks in Oak I thought the tweeters were at ear level. . . .Big speakers. . . .

With that configuration, Bill should have built them upside down. As for price, I think he has always been high on his stuff. I asked him once about some Altec emblems for some cabinets he gutted and put on Ebay, he said sure I still have them and will sell them for $50. I respectfully declined and got a set for $29 from another seller that came on the grills attached to the cabinets. :D

The tweeters can be at ear level if you use these as bookshelf speakers. He forgot to mention this and that he was including an 8 foot stepladder in the deal so you could climb up and enjoy the view of the black glass on the tops! :D

But then there's still the issue of no horn lens as DonMcR aptly pointed out! I can't think it would be good for a compression driver to run it without the loading benefit of a horn lens either.

He should have left the 604's in place. Those drivers alone would have fetched his asking price!

When I first saw the pictures, being the noob I am I thought those holes were ports :confused: I didn't even realize there were tweeters :p:

Back
Top Bottom