Frazier Dixielanders

Look at that bass bin again. It is a folded horn design with helmholtz resonators. It is actually a fairly complex (and heavy) speaker cabinet. I actually had a pair nailed down on Craigslist, but another guy wanted them who lived much closer. He and I stayed in contact for a little while. He picked up the Fraziers from the woman who was selling them ($100). He said they reeked of cat pee, but he was into fully restoring them. We fell out of touch - I wonder how he made out with them?

I'm still here bro! Life has been keeping my busy. The Dixie's are restored and get play time at least monthly.

Last edited:
If you would like to have a org. catalog from the(I think)early 60's,late 50.Of all the speakers Frazier made during that time with Super Dixieland,and the Dixieland Jr.picture's,and spec's.I can send you picture's of them.I own a pair Mk.4's,and like them more then my Hersey's,i was blown away with the idea of them being just 2-way,best 2-way speaker ever built IMPO.

This I what they look like after I veneered them in white oak.

No this isn't how they are set up. I have a 10 day old baby and mommy made me put them up to make room for rockers and such. This system probably wont be back up and running in my living room for at least 5 years, that should give me time to buy some mono tube amps. I'm sure some of you know the damage kids can due to a turntable.

What are my observations? Well I am not extremely qualified to give my opinion on various speakers but I will say this. The vocals on these speakers are more realistic than any other speaker I have had the pleasure of hearing.

Here is the original post on these restored speakers.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=244320

Attachments

• dixies.jpeg
    dixies.jpeg
    39.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Fraziers in work.jpg
    Fraziers in work.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Bought a pair of Dixielander speakers at the auction for 35 dollars.Everybody there thought they were home made if they only knew.Lucky me.

To me it was a great compact PA speaker. It was more efficient than a Hersey at the time, could handle more power and for voice was a much better projector under adverse conditions. We installed a few at cattle and horse auction barns. We used a few in small churches and as perimeter speakers for big clusters with time delays. They sounded nice and never gave us an issue. They don't have the HF extension of a Hersey, but the bass response is about the same. .

Back
Top Bottom