frazier loudspeakers

over-the-top

3k53me3p45V05Z55X2b3se6853341c4a71ada.jpg
i have a chance to buy these speakers for 100 for the set cant find anything about them he says the 50 watts max but are very loud and he says there F333-1337 but i cant find nothing on them any info would be nice

Hey, over-the-top! Welcome to AudioKarma.

Your thread will probably get moved to Dollars and Sense by a moderator, but what you have there is a nice pair of Frazier Dixielanders. They're decent speakers as is, but have potential to do really nice things, with some modification.

Here are mine after a little work... (click the pic for more info)

They were designed for theater and stadium use, so they'll definitely do loud, if that's what you're after. They're very efficient, so 50W would probably be ear-bleeding loud.

I think you'd find that the Klipsch Cornwall is a better balanced speaker overall, with lower frequency extension (the Dixielander does not "thump" or "pound hard!" :no:) and a better horn/ tweeter (Frazier saved money here).

Both the Dixielander and the Cornwall are high efficiency speakers with compression drivers and horns on the high end. You'll find that sound quality is highly dependent on what you power them with - garbage in, garbage out. :)

Another guy on here was asking about these last week or so. At that price they wouldn't be available anymore you would think. :scratch2:

I've lived for many years close to where there was a big Frazier dealer in the '70s (Audio by Zimet). They were also involved in doing local radio simulcasts and providing PA rentals for big events. Some of the better local rock bands had all-Frazier PA systems that sounded amazing, especially compared to what a lot of other folks were using. If those were local, I'd buy 'em for $100 to use as the PA in my band's rehearsal space which is in a 20,000 square foot warehouse. I think it'd sound pretty good in there!

Fraziers were made here in Dallas,Tx and his designs were good. For the most part he used Utah drivers and though I really liked the little 2 ways hey made with an 8" woofer and a 3" tweeter (8 ohm drivers with a 3uF high pass on the tweets, so you figure it out) that he sold in black boxes that you finished yourself. They were an early 60s design because I bought a pair from a guy who bought his in 1962 in Norman Okla, so maybe a late 50s design. They played and sounded great, but were the best Fraziers I ever owned, including Dixies.
I think there is an 8" driver in the middle of that horn, the compression driver on top is cheap, the horn made from plywood if they are like the ones I have seen and since the VCs are not on the same vertical the phasing is a bit off.
All in all it is a good design for a horn in a small box but there is I think 2 folds and the length of the horn isn't long enough for low frequencies (like below 30, but I would bet not below 40) so putting a long excursion 8" sub driver in there might not get you lower frequencies, then again when it was designed only audiophiles that listened to organ music really cared about extended lows.
A great design that could easily be improved on, there still isn't a great following on Fraziers but he did design and make a few large high end speakers as well as pro sound like you have there.
I found some in Little Rock and bought those and some Altec horns and compression drivers which paid for the gas for the road trip. There was a Harley Convention in Hot Springs and it will be coming up quick. Get some ear plugs and go. It is loads of fun, but the upper end where the springs are is a canyon about 1/2 mile wide at best and when there are 10,000 Harleys in there with no mufflers it gets really loud and stays loud after they turn them off because of the echos. Nature's reverb.

Thatch

It's gonna be hard to find speakers that good for $100 - that is a very good deal. Having said that, and as others have said, you may not like the sound. Me, I would be very excited to purchase those, especially since they are relatively small, compared to other, bigger theater speakers.

Another guy on here was asking about these last week or so. At that price they wouldn't be available anymore you would think. :scratch2:

Your right CB,if they were really for sale,they would have been gone in a second. They were posted on 3-28-11 in D & S from Indy CL.
Same picture,same speakers, Nothing but a scam!!!

Yep.. the ad for those speakerrs can't be for reasl since it's been posted for so long, and been talked about on here a couple times..

Starting to think it's an address harvester now..

Back
Top Bottom