Frazier Model 11 find

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by RS Steve, Jan 28, 2013.

1. 49erFaithful

49erFaithful New Member

Ok, I'm documenting my venture inside one of these things to get to the damaged cone (actually two, one of the mid ranges has a little tear, nothing to fuss about).

Here is the back of them. As you can see one of them is missing the speaker wire terminals.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Ok, now time to open up the back of one. The back is one solid piece held on by screws. To be honest, I was afraid a small wild animal was going to jump out at me when I finally went to pull the back panel off...

Anyways, first look inside:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Ok that's all for now. Going to go get back into them.

2. 49erFaithful

49erFaithful New Member

Actually just a few more...
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

janikphoto likes this.
  3. Ghonk

Ghonk GREG

[QUOTE="49erFaithful

To be honest, I was afraid a small wild animal was going to jump out at me when I finally went to pull the back panel off...

[/QUOTE]

It does look pretty creepy in there.:D

4. Fitero

Fitero Active Member

Awesome!
    I'd be changing those crossover caps and wires if they were mine. New wires probably won't make them sound any better, it's just a "clean the house" type thing. :)

5. RS Steve

RS Steve Tube Junkie Subscriber

The Elevens are truly special and rare, (only around 200 produced). I would install some nice binding posts, and capacitors. You can make new grills pretty easily, and that cone damage can be repaired or have it reconed. My Frazier Eleven's found a new home out in Oklahoma, it was really hard to let them go, but the new owner swears he will take them to his grave. Congrats on a very rare find, I only know of around 10 pair that still exist. There is a very nice Frazier Facebook page where a couple of former Frazier employees hang out, they are a wealth of information on Frazier speakers.

zebra03 and stav56 like this.
  6. stav56

stav56 New Member

Welcome to da klub

7. RS Steve

RS Steve Tube Junkie Subscriber

It was very interesting figuring out the design of the model Eleven, the 15 incher was used for mid bass, and the 12 incher deep bass. This produced a very punchy thunk, no other speaker I have listened to could compare. The only problem I had with their sound, was as you get louder the imaging went away. They look like they were made for super loud listening being so big, but actually sounded better at lower levels. Tube amps really worked well with them, I wish I could of tried my Fisher X-1000 or Dynaco MK III's, they sounded best with amps over 50 wpc.

8. pmsummer

pmsummer simul justus et peccator