Frazier Model Seven speakers - in the house.

Installed the two new 8 ohm L-pads in one of the Frazier Sevens and closed it up and connected it to my Sherwood 7100 (15 watts per) set it to mono mode and tuned in my favorite jazz station .....

:yikes:

OMG, these things play big. The garage is rockin.

Kind of remind me of my old Klipsch Chorus but more low end.

Tomorrow I install the new caps and do the second speaker.

Time for a cold PBR :beer: and listen to more mono jazz on the Seven.

Snade

First off, thanks for all the explanations regarding l-pads vs. potentiometers. Although I know this will not be true, it would seem to me that l-pads need 3 wires and potentiometers would only need 2 wires, therefore 3 vs. 2 posts. Tell me why this isn't true.
My new Sevens had 17 3.0 mfd Caps in Parallel and another single 3.0 mfd at another crossover point. So I just received the Solen 51 mfd caps and Solen 3.0 mfd caps as replacements. The pads seem very smooth in operation so I didn't order replacements and I haven't listened to them yet.

Snade, glad to hear the l-pads made the difference in your 7's. I think that the pads were the major breakthrough in my original 7's rebuild. Since I replaced the caps at the same time, I don't know which was the main source of improvement.

If you like the mono speaker you have now, just wait till you have the 2nd one up and going. Imaging is stunning with Model 7's...if you are disappointed I sure PM or I can take them off your hands. Wish I could have been more help but I got busy working and actually making money for a change.

Working on these puppies on and off for a couple of weeks.

Here is what is done:

- All caps replaced with Dayton caps

- New Dayton Gold color binding posts installed

- two pots (each speaker) for highs and mids replaced with new 8 ohm L-pads

- Howard's Walnut Restore-a-finish on cabs, some repair to corners, front cleaned and any marks covered with black magic marker

How do they sound ?

They are still on the floor of my garage, but they play big with amazing detail. My wife walked into the garage and said I was going to lose my hearing, but at the time they did not sound that loud to me. But I walked to the front of the house and noticed I could still hear them pretty loud. These things are amazing.

Here are recent photos:

One Seven serves as the bench for the other Seven. These things are fricken heavy at about 70 lbs each.

seven1.jpg

Hold the new L-Pad gently with a vice to hold it steady as I solder the wires to the three posts. Old pot is to left.

seven2.jpg

Original caps on left soldered in parallel to total of 36uF and two new Dayton caps of 18uF each to be soldered in parallel to total 36uF.

seven3a.jpg

The two 18uF caps installed, not pretty, but it worked.

seven3.jpg

New L-pads and binding posts installed.

seven4.jpg

As soon as I finish installing the new caps and L-pads I test it right away connecting to my old Sherwood. It works. Time to start work on the other speaker.

seven5.jpg

Cabs look good with Howard's restore a finish. I also clean up the front and clear out some cobwebs in the ports.

seven6.jpg

On the floor of my garage, both speakers done, they sound pretty awesome.

seven7.jpg

Total cost for 8 caps, 4 L-pads and two sets of binding posts from Parts Express was about $65.

Remaining to be done:

- build simple grill cloth frames and install black grill cloth.

- move them to the basement family room connected to a new setup.

Cheers, Snade

More 11's surface in Arlington

Congrats!!! Now to track down who gets the Model 11's in Arlington. Life is GOOD!!!!

i just looked at the CL listing for the arlington system-- now that's whatcha call a stereo hi-fi system...did somebody already get 'em?

i'd love 'em, but i am at the hardfought WAF limit. the boundaries have been pushed to the limit, and they cain't go no farther

11's in Arlington

Mallette says he's coming to pick up the 11's in Arlington this Saturday. Looking forward to seeing what the serial numbers are. Another pair back in the F.U.G.I.T. domain. Will we get them all? Stay tuned for another action packed adventure in search of the wild Model 11's. Where will the next breeding pair be found? Will they be virgin originals or will they house the beloved Ivory billed woodpecker? Same Frazier channel, same Frazier time. Will it all end in Frazier Henge?

WOW, what a journey. I believe I will be putting some restor a finish on my piezo seven's. They still have the foam grilles, a tad damaged and short, maybe they were replaced with newer foam that just wasn't large enough. I just cut them so the badge with pot's show and with drivers covered. In stereo mode, with my Onkyo tx-v940 and dvd source, the imaging is theater like for viewing. And for vinyl, heavenly. I had to replace the cable post's, but that is about all. 35.00 for the pair, and I had no idea what I was getting, but someone here said to move on them and I am eternally grateful. Now, I have spent the past two years fixing a 1926 craftsman house that was hit hard with the 70's ugly stick, and only have baseboards and trim to finish the interior. But the room that will be used for music/movies has changed, and I fear the 7's may be too large. My wife is a love, but she has an aesthetic style that tends to be minimalist. If they can't live in the new room, I will move them to the living room with my Sansui 7070 and they will be smaller in that space. Fortunately. I will not give up my Fraziers. ever. The chicago listing was amazing. The dome tweeters just seem wrong, but I haven't heard what they are like. So congratulations on your 'new' Frazier 7's. They are beyootiful.

After reading and enjoying your posts, I think I may go purchase the VII's I located. When I check them out, the pots seemed not to work, but it turns out I brought a crapped out Pioneer tuner with me and it wouldn't pull a signal and possibly needs to be burned.
I was afraid to get involved in recapping and swapping the pots.
Onward and upward.

Ok, the Frazier Sevens are now officially in rotation in the basement family room.

Photos of the Sevens in the family room here.

The truth is I have a hate / love relationship with these speakers.

I hate how heavy and boxy these things are. Many a time I have almost killed myself trying to move them. What a fricken pain. :grumpy:

They have been a ton of work. After cleaning them up and working on the cabs and the recap project, one of the horn tweeters blew when I was testing them in the garage. Took me some time to troubleshoot that and then find a replacement. But all drivers work at the moment (fingers crossed).

I love how they play rock music. These things play huge. :guitar:

In the photo above, the speaker stands are vintage bookshelf speakers I have placed face down and put the Sevens on top.

Ok, it's time to stop moving these Sevens and just enjoy. :beer:

Cheers, Snade

Back
Top Bottom