1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Freakin' MI Roads and Construction.....

Discussion in 'Wheels, Wings, Mud, and Water' started by botrytis, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

I chuckle to myself thinking what you guys would think about our frost heaves!
    Capture.JPG
    Capture1.JPG Capture2.JPG

John James likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. John James

John James "Bob's your uncle" (Stolen) Subscriber

You would have to pay extra for a ride like that at Disney World!

3. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

jami w. likes this.
  4. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

Wow what a beautiful road .Come to my city ,every second block you have to use 4wd just to get past the potholes,lol.I called the city to come fix one in front of my house and I told the woman that answered the phone that id seen a Toyota car go in but it never came out yet!

5. jami w.

jami w. just being me thats all

maine streets/potholes/frostheaves will swallow a 6 wheel dump truck, and never be seen again!

6. Harvestor

Harvestor Super Member

One of the things with Michigan is...
    1. Our weight limit laws allow more than any other state, and heavy loads with these commercial trucks exacerbates the problem.

2. This statement has nothing to do with politics just common sense, We the People have Not demanded an audit every quarter or at least every year to make sure the tax dollars are going where they are supposed to, this information should be easily accessible to every person. Just Google what Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports are the C.A.F.R. .... There are a couple of good educational videos on YouTube about the CAFR & what we the people should be aware of when it comes to where the money is spent, We the People must hold our Representatives feet to the fire and be more educated and demand we know where the money's are spent with an audit every Cent should be accounted for.
    AND EACH HOUSEHOLD SHOULD GET A COPY OF THE C.A.F.R. ......if asked for, with today's paperless email and PDF on everything including smartphones this will cost near nothing for administrative purposes.

3. Salt and the frost wreak havoc and the roads are not built with quality standards good enough like the roads in Germany that has similar weather..... Michigan roads are built with designed obsolescence to keep the gravy train going for job security if you're into the fixing roads business.

Last edited: May 14, 2018

7. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

About every 5 years i had to replace a rim and tire. Now living in the southwest the are no potholes.

8. brian222

brian222 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Read the Wayne County Vehicle Damage Claims site. Pretty sure it says they have to admit they knew the road was bad before they pay. What are the chances? Then I called to see what the chances actually were. "Sorry sir, we don't give that out".

9. Alobar

Do they post reduce speed signs at these potholed areas? If so how many actually reduce speed? If not and someone lost control it would be a major liability if death was the result. However it's my observation that so many people drive around with a lead foot and act like it would kill them to step on the brake. Still not an excuse for not fixing roads, but blame for vehicle damage (at least where road damage are marked as such) can be shared in some cases. Probably signs would help keep them from claims court..

10. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

One of the worst, and there are plenty more that are just as bad, with no resurfacing on the horizon. Just yesterday, Jefferson Ave. at the Harrison Twp. border...you leave St Clair Shores where our roads are nicely maintained, and hit nearly the same road conditions as in my photo. Years of cold patch thrown into the potholes. Aerial view. Can you find the city limit? :D

upload_2018-5-16_13-10-51.png

In Michigan, we are not driving drunk...we are dodging potholes. :rolleyes:

John James likes this.
  11. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

What @botrytis said. Those actually are smooth compared to ours. And we get the frost heaving here as well. (It has even torn up the original front porch for this house we're in.)

Nope. We're lucky to get an orange barrel or a pylon thrown in the middle of it for caution.

That has pissed me off for years. Nothing is ever done about this, and when it is suggested, then certain parties start bitching about it and right back to square one. Why should we have to pay because the trucking companies or operators are the ones helping to destroy our roads?

I don't buy that our roads have planned obsolescence, but I do know that so much of this is bid out to the lowest bidder, and trust me, if they can cut corners, they will do it. I remember when I-696 was completed. Then there was the first rebuilding of the road bed. That failed due to a poor design, I forget what it was, but had to do with something about a continuous-pouring process...? Been so long I don't remember the details. Now they are redoing it again.

Even here in the Shores. They rebuilt Little Mack Ave. from 10 Mile to 12 Mile. Some Einstein with a paving company sold them on the idea that no, they don't have to do a total rebuild of the concrete down to the road bed. No. They could mill off the top half of the concrete, put down a felt mat, then pour new concrete on top of that, with multiple cuts so it can flex. So, guess what is cracking (partly due to those g** d*** heavy trucks)? Yep, all these new "squares" of concrete. Looked nice when it was new. It was a pothole-fest at 11 Mile after this winter. This was 2015, shortly after completion. Now there are squares with multiple cracks in them. Not all of them, but there are clusters of them in traffic lanes in certain places.

upload_2018-5-16_13-21-23.png

12. Harvestor

Harvestor Super Member

I can agree with Wildcat...
    So wouldn't the solution be have the state and local municipalities all adopt one particular standard that must be met concerning the specifications and quality standards?
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that there should be a set of specifications and standards in place and if a particular contractor cannot meet that standard then an inspector upon doing the work should stop them and make them correct the problem getting the standard specifications done!
    To me it's that simple, mandate specifications standards to be adopted Statewide for quality concerning the building of any road.
    And then dealing with the weight limits we the people are the ones paying the price so we the people need to tell those placed in positions of power it's unacceptable and time to adopt stricter weight limitations like the other states!

13. wlhd1610

wlhd1610 Penny and her new friend Sponsor Subscriber

Here in upstate NY they had the great idea of using up all the old tires from across the country by grinding them up and mixing it with fresh asphalt to repave the state highways.
    Some engineering outfit probably made millions from that idea.

That was a debacle as it lasted one season.

I guess we should be happy that we don't have one of those Florida University designed $19,000,000 100 year planned lifespan pedestrian bridges that lasted all of 5 days though.

Bob

14. Alobar

Yeah those were mild photo's all I could find with a quick search on the web. When I worked on hwy's in Fairbanks in the 70's I saw extreme road damage every year that makes the photos you shown seem benign. I worked on road repair for a contractor on them hauling 1000's of yds of gravel. One weird section that I will never forget, the asphalt split open about 18 inches and about 15 feet long, running in the middle of the lane parallel with the highway. The thing was so deep, they had me deliver a load of gravel in a 20 yd belly dump. I straddled the crack with the gates of the trailer over the hole I opened the gates just enough so gravel could flow slowly out. That damned hole took the whole 20 yds! What is so memorable for me however was just the evening before I was riding my motorcycle home and noticed that crack and just avoided it.. Close call!

It sounds like MI's road problems are associated with no or abused maintenance funds along with liberal dousing's of diesel fuel which eats asphalt slowly, creating pot holes and jobs for next season. Be thankful you don't have permafrost on top of your other road woes where you live!

15. FONSguy

FONSguy Super Member

I thought the roads in DC were hideous (They are) but DAM!!!!