free but should I get it?

Donny

Big Damn Hero
at a garage sale today a big old wood I guess it would be called console stereo said works free nice shape about 16-18inchs deep 4ft long (about) lady said she bought it in 1969-70 they had stuff stacked on it so I don't know brand model # I didn't want to be rude by just throwing stuff on the ground and looking it over,it's raining too so I would have to cover it and get me and a helper wet.They had a weird looking thing off to the side (obviously not in the sale) looked to have a 12inch speaker a few big tubes and many black boxs a bit bigger then a container of spam I thought this was Very interesting! but again I didn't want to bother them by asking about something not in the sale

Tubes good, Free tubes MUCH better. :yes:

Donny said:
I didn't want to bother them by asking about something not in the sale

Sometimes that is where the best finds come from......give it a shot...they can only say no...

its not like they're gonna "hit you with a club" for asking!!!!...LOL...

:twak: :twak: :twak:

???????????????????????

Donny said:
at a garage sale today a big old wood I guess it would be called console stereo said works free nice shape about 16-18inchs deep 4ft long (about) lady said she bought it in 1969-70 they had stuff stacked on it so I don't know brand model # I didn't want to be rude by just throwing stuff on the ground and looking it over,it's raining too so I would have to cover it and get me and a helper wet.They had a weird looking thing off to the side (obviously not in the sale) looked to have a 12inch speaker a few big tubes and many black boxs a bit bigger then a container of spam I thought this was Very interesting! but again I didn't want to bother them by asking about something not in the sale

Unless you want it and are commited to servicing it and using it I would leave it for someone who is. These old girls dont have many moves left in them. If she is in real nice condition please dont strip her down and sell her innards (you asked)
Personally I like the old console Home Entertainment Systems. . . Great for background music or whatever. . . Some sound surprisingly good. They are a piece of furniture.

Reminds me of my great deal on a pair of Bozak speakers (5.95) they work perfect, dont look perfect and I could strip the drivers and cross overs out and sell them for 200.00+ but I dont want to butcher the cabs as bad as they are they can be fixed. I am using them and I find I really like em. . .

If the console is from '69-'70 - It is about guaranteed it's solid state. Might have Alnico speakers. Most of the tube consoles are pre '63. That other object sounds like it might have tubes.

got mystery item :)

I asked and she said her husband took out the guts so it could be moved around the house she gave it to me after I took the console they have the wood housing but they are keeping it as furnature but I gave her my # incase they change their minds,the old console is a magnavox w 8track and record player not a find there but I think the tube one is

Last edited:
Ooh, nice find. That's the workings of an old Atwater Kent console radio, Model 55 it looks like. That'd put it around 1929. Too bad it doesn't come with the cabinet, but I'm sure you could improvise worst case...

I know a USENET group where a lot of the guys used to pick this sort of thing up off the corner on trash day or dumpster dive for it in the sixties. They don't find many even close to THAT--Magnavox VCRs maybe.

That is the WINNER in the Score Hall of Fame. Pick up your gold watch at the door, you may retire now :lmao:

this is for Gyusher..

There is a small, 1965 model Zenith console stereo, at the Brass Aramidillo, in springdale.(off of crescent road, which is off of route 747).The price is only 8.00 It has a totally tube tuner (8lt20 chasis, i think), and an early solid state amp(10mt25). it has a 12" 3 way speaker system, probably 10 watts or so/ch. I was going to get it and strip it, before it ends up in a landfill. BUT, if you want it, let me know. it is not a very big console, and would not take up as much room as some.

Donny-Nice score ! However, please DON'T plug it in & try it out ! That gentleman is a good 75 yrs old-PLEASE have it checked out by somebody who knows what they're doing ! I just don't wanna see you get hurt-or a nice old Atwater-Kent get ruined, either.-Sandy G.

I know in fact it looks to have had the plug cut off years ago I don't really plain on doing anything with it I also found some NOS tubes a working tube record player one of those semi portable ones I didn't buy them because I'm not into the old radios I do want to try a tube hifi I have also found a late 50's early 60's console $100 I haven't looked at it but I'm thinking I'll just pass I'm sure I'll find one for much less. I'm finding stuff just not the stuff I'm looking for ecept the hpm 100s my real find so far :)

Keep finding stuff like this, and you'll not be out of pocket at ALL when you find your 100's.

You better give that $100 console another look, and see what it has in it.

Awesome score.

Cheers,
Russ

I'm with Russman, if it has toobies in it, it's probably worth the $100.00
Even if you don't want it, for that money if it works, you could turn it almost instantly. Bob

Back
Top Bottom