Free Interconnects to try!

Okay, just to remind everyone what we're testing:

Knukonceptz.com Krystal Kable, 1M, Twisted Pair RCA cable

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KRY2.1M

These are well constructed, seem to be of decent quality. I like the connectors--not too tight, not too loose--just snug enough to hold well.

The first test was to just to see if these can be used with a turntable and a moving magnet cartridge. Shielding is critical for phono and these claim to be triple-shielded: copper foil, mylar foil, 98% tinned copper braid.

PHONO TEST
Equipment: Pioneer PL-630 turntable, Shure M91ED & AT142LP carts, Yamaha C-65 preamp, Sennheiser HD-595 headphones.

Result: Humming with both carts.

Explanation: The shields are connected to the signal grounds only at one end. Why this idiotic practice continues to pervade the audio world, especially among so-called "experts" and cable manufacturers is beyond me. SHIELDS ARE WORTHLESS UNLESS CONNECTED TO SIGNAL GROUND AT BOTH ENDS!

And then there's this issue of using balanced cable (two wires plus shield) vs. coaxial (single core wire plus shield), thinking it is better because you're keeping the "return" separate from the shield and therefore the sound doesn't become distorted by the noise being absorbed by the ground. What you have to understand is that there is no return. Think of unbalanced signals as one way. There is nothing going the other way. It's a ground, that's it. So it doesn't matter if it also serves as the shield. The extra wire also adds capacitance. Now, all of what I'm pointing out here is only an issue if the cables are used for phono. For line level, the shield is seldom necessary and the capacitance is seldom an issue so this is all moot. It's just that this type of cable construction when used for unbalanced circuits is silly and unnecessary.

CD TEST
Equipment: Denon DCD-660 CD Player, Yamaha CR-2040 Receiver, Sennheiser HD-595 headphones.

Competitors:
1) Knukonceptz.com Krystal Kable twisted pair, 1M, 150pF capacitance
2) Cat5E twisted pair cable, 6', 87pF
3) Belden 9259 coaxial, shielded, 6', 112pF
4) Petra Component Video Cable, coax, double shielded, 6', 108pF

Results: The Petras were just the slightest bit richer in sound, slightly fuller bass, slightly wider soundstage. The Knu and the Belden were about tied for second, the Cat5E third. However, the differences were minimal and all were perfectly acceptable. Either my equipment simply isn't that discriminating or there just isn't that much difference in line level ICs at this price level. I tend to think it is the latter. For line level connections, shielding is seldom an issue, therefore the unshielded Cat5E and Knuconceptz were fine.

Knukonceptz also makes component video cables:

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KHX-KV.10

Of course, you get the third bonus cable so if you order two sets you end up with three pairs. Since cables of this type adhere to a stricter standard, i.e. solid core coaxial, foil + copper strand shield, my guess would be that their performance would be closer to the Petras. At some time in the future I intend to do a comparison test of different CV cables to see how they differ.

Okay, so who next on the list?

Nice review, Howard. I have one comment; in an unbalanced system, current most certainly does flow through the shield. Otherwise you would not have a complete circuit.
The KnuKonceptz cables now go to BGRoberts.
BigEric, did you get the MCM cables?

Nice review, Howard. I have one comment; in an unbalanced system, current most certainly does flow through the shield. Otherwise you would not have a complete circuit.
The KnuKonceptz cables now go to BGRoberts.
BigEric, did you get the MCM cables?

Yes, current flows, but it is not being converted to sound.

I will contact BGRoberts.

MCM Cables

1. yamahammer
2. JimmyNeutron
3. Thedelihaus
4. Strawman
5. Kamakiri
6. Tripqzon
7. Cosmos
8. Onepixel
9. wineslob
10. BGRoberts
11.Stewie
12. Bigerik
13. GaryP
14. hakaplan

Warren, from 6/8/07 post #208, this was the most recent list I found for the MCM cables, so if it's okay I've added my name to the bottom. Thanks very much.

Upping this thread to find out where the knukonceptz cables are (BGroberts?). Are they still moving through the queue or did they get stalled out somewhere?

And, BigEric, did you finish with the MCM cables? Where's your review, and it's time to send them on to GaryP.

Sorry guys.
The review, as well as getting together with Gary both fell by the wayside when I had my accident. Will get right on top of it and report back.

Erik,
Sorry, I didn't know you had had an accident. I hope you're are alright, and fully recovered.

Erik, are you feeling better and did you have a chance to try out the MCM cables?
Where are the knukonceptz cables? BGroberts, do you have them? Do I hafta slap somebody around?:nono:

Wow... those cables still going around?

Does MCM have any more sales specials on those cables? I bought 6 pairs and would like to get more but I can't find them on-line or in their print catalog.

Yeah, this took so long that now they may be discontinued. Good thing we have the KnuKonceptz cables.

Yep!

But my amp went dead and I have to get it fixed. I guess it'll be ready by mid September earliest.... :(

Wow. Where did you take it to? Shouldn't take that long to fix what is arguably a pretty simple circuit.
You wanna borrow an amp so that you have something to play in the interim?

No thanks - I have a HK separate amp that I can pull out of storage. I was actually thinking of giving it away (along with the pre amp, tuner and some other equipment.) Luckily I still have it.

I DID get it fixed! Worked well for 1/2 hour then I switched power tubes from RCA black plates to GE gray plates (my standard power tube, all NOS).

10 seconds later, power tube #2 sparked INSIDE the tube (white sparks) and static from the speakers. Now the amp is dead as a doornail...

I was just getting it put back up to spec by that guy in Hamilton... and it did work well! Much less hiss from the amp. Too bad it went dead... going back on Thursday, I hope...

No thanks - I have a HK separate amp that I can pull out of storage. I was actually thinking of giving it away (along with the pre amp, tuner and some other equipment.) Luckily I still have it.

I DID get it fixed! Worked well for 1/2 hour then I switched power tubes from RCA black plates to GE gray plates (my standard power tube, all NOS).

10 seconds later, power tube #2 sparked INSIDE the tube (white sparks) and static from the speakers. Now the amp is dead as a doornail...

I was just getting it put back up to spec by that guy in Hamilton... and it did work well! Much less hiss from the amp. Too bad it went dead... going back on Thursday, I hope...

Dan Santoni?
Dan is the Man! :)
I gotta pick up my pre-amp from him too. No clue when I can get down there tho.
If you have trouble with the hk stuff, my offer still stands. It might actually be fun to hear your system through that. Those hk separates were my first audio love!

Back
Top Bottom