Free Interconnects to try!

So it looks like to Knukoncept list is:

AltecDarpa
GaryP
Puma Cat

I will contact them about what we are doing and see if they will ship to anyone other than me. If so, I will have them sent to AltecDarpa. If they will only do it to the US, I will ship to Puma Cat.

Sounds good?

Works for me.

this would be pretty interesting, I have a bunch of radio shack gold plated, and a few generic made in japan interconnects that came with some gear I bought, would be neat to see just how much of a difference I can detect.

I have these great cables from MCM, Part# 50-2160....

http://site.mcminone.com/product/50-2160

72 inch $15.49

Sorry for the other loooong delay! We were renovating the house (took months - still not completed!) and when they arrived the new kitchen counter was in the basement listening room. I have a witness.... ;)

Having finally set up my stereo (it was in the corner in pieces) and dialing it in (making sure everything was connected properly, aligning my speakers, etc.) I noticed the Mysterious Package. A-haa! MCM cables! Lets give 'em a whirl.

I love the RCA connectors! No Death Grip™ here! Great build quality,too! The connectors come apart so you can take a peek at the insides. The wires themselves are rubbery and very flexible.

I played David Elias (SACD and CD) as his music is very well recorded and presented, Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells SACD (I was in the mood), Rush 2112 (original Canadian CD pressing with no bar code - even beats the MFSL gold disc and West German 'Atomic' label!) some DCC gold discs, Skynyrd. Yes, it took me a few days.... :D

These interconnects impart a harsh/distorted high end that is more noticeable the louder you crank the music. It's certainly not as bad as some crappy, modern CD masterings that I have but it's there! They also muddy the sound stage. Instruments that you could formerly pinpoint as being in a specific place - like a guitar being on the right side and you can 'tell' where he's standing - are more fuzzy. You can tell the guitarist is on the right side but you don't kow exactly where. Another example are drum fills that used to go from R to L right across the sound stage are not as distinct.

I think the soundstage is compressed, too. Instruments that used to appear to be outside of the speakers (i.e.: to the right of the right speaker!) are now AT the right speaker. I love albums like that...

So, for me, I was impressed by the build quality but unimpressed by the sound quality. I went back to my regular interconnects. The are RCA brand interconnects - $5.99 at the Home Depot. My tube amp was voiced with these (pre and amp were built in the 1960's) and that's what they sound best with!

Maybe I should have heard them through my Denon system - that's where my Grover interconnects are! But I've had them long enough.... next!

Gary, hakaplan gets the MCM cables next.

I'll send a PM!

Thanks for the opportunity!

There has been no posts here since February! Who has what cables? All ye, all ye, in free!

Sorry, guilty as charged. I was busy amassing other cables to do a big phono cable comparison and just posted that thread in the Turntable section. That must have telepathically triggered something in Warren's brain. :D

I will post my report very shortly. Meanwhile please let me know who is next on the list.

Howard, you are the last on the list. If anyone would like to try the MCM cables speak up now. Otherwise, they will come back to me.:D

Back
Top Bottom