Free to a member: Sony TC-388-4 R2R

dshoaf

That high voltage buzz
Hello to all,

Some weeks ago I picked up this Sony tape deck on a curb where a yardsale was held the day before, clearly an abandoned no-seller.

After getting the service manual from Rolf and getting the transport going again, I've decided that there's no place for it in my house and would like to see it go to a good home.

So, its up for grabs, folks.

Known problems yet to be fixed:

* Head rewire: The original owner aparently rewired the heads to behave like a Teac A-3340S for recording overdubs. I spent enough time to confirm that the deck does record/playback but the correct record/play channels need to be sorted out. I've already removed the switching system and have the wires soldered onto the heads but not necessarily in the right order.

* There is one switch and one missing knob on a lesser-used function on the front panel. Rolf has a parts machine to work with you.

* The heads are a bit worn but do work ok. It could use some belts - available from bob@vintageelectronics.com.

I would rather not ship this thing as it weighs 25 lbs without box/packing. I'm in Santa Cruz, CA. You'll get the deck, the service manual and a take-up reel and a partial tape.

I'll be traveling this weekend but you can post email or a PM to me. Offers taken in order received.

Cheers,

David

Hi David:)
I didn't know you was a A-K member ?
The world is small;)
Sorry to hear you don't have the space for this machine, hopefully someone else with reel-fever grab this one.
By the way, it uses the same belts as TC-366 and TC-377.
Maybe a picture David ?:cool:

Here is a link from one that I sold last year with nudie pictures and info about this Quad-deck.SONY TC-388

Last edited:
Hi VintageTx....yep the same one...

I'll post a pic next Monday....walking out the door right now for the weekend. Its just like your pic except for 4 holes just above the meters where the hand-wired switches used to be.

Should make someone a nice deck to play with. Thanks for the support, too!

Cheers,

David

I know this is old, really old. However I have a Sony TC-388-4 that's been "in the shop" for repair for two years now, all because I cannot find the pick-up brake clutch. My repair guy nor I can find one, without buying an entire unit. I'm already way over budget on getting this fixed. I guess it was in pretty bad shape internally, though externally it's gorgeous.

That said, if anyone has one for parts, or selling really cheap please let me know. I'd love to get this working on my quad system(s).
I'm in Cleveland Ohio area, but would pay for the part and shipping.

letgo1509740050123.jpg

Back
Top Bottom