French Provincial Console Good Bye

DKinYORKpa

While I was scolded on another forum for suggesting this, I'm hoping there's more sympathy here! Last Fall, I bought a Fisher console off of CL for $70. My first thought was an internet flip. It had a 100-T tuner/pre-amp with an SA-16 amp. So where am I going to find someone to buy the console for even half of its components' flip value? So, not having a tube system, I made a walnut box for the 100-T and a walnut base with a cage for the SA-16. I recapped everything and it's sweet. For the 3-way speakers (Jensen), I made 2 walnut boxes to precisely accept the baffle boards and the grille cloth frames. Am I forgiven for sending the console to the incinerator? It did make some electricity.

Am I forgiven for sending the console to the incinerator? It did make some electricity.

I did the same as you with a Fisher French Provincial fugly console.
You certainly don't need to ask if you will be forgiven for putting that gear in something much nicer. :)

Enjoy the music..

I can understand it if the console cabinet is unsalvageable, but to destroy a console just because it's FUGLY or it doesn't fit in with your design scheme doesn't really set well with me. These were built as Furniture, sometimes more often than not the centerpiece of the original owners living room or rumpus room/audio room. And usually the wives picked out the style. French Provincial was, at the time your '60 Premiere was built, the styling of older folks who would have bought these consoles. Younger buyers would have bought separates like the TA-600 receiver or an integrated amp and tuner, or even a couple of 100 amps with a 400c preamp and a tuner. By the Mid 60's French provincial and Italian Provincial were still big hitters, but modern or contemporary was gaining in popularity, even as consoles were getting smaller and cheaper bult. The HEYDAY of FISHER MONO Consoles was in the Mid-Late 50's and the STEREO CONSOLES HEYDAY was DURING the Kennedy, and the Early part of the Johnson administrations. By 68 consoles were made of cheaper materials, smaller and even more gaudy in aesthetics. Spanish Provincial was BIG! But the decline of the console was firmly entrenched by early 70's with the influx of Japanese Audio gear, and the fact that the people that bought big consoles in the late 50's didn't now want a large wall hogging piece of furniture in the living room. TV was KING!

If you MUST gut a intact console, put the cabinet up on CL to be re-purposed as a TV Stand, a Blanket Chest, Hope chest, line it with cedar for storage of delicate linens or something.

Approx 1/2 of my consoles are French or Italian provincial and are all intact with working electronics. Most all of them are in the basement but they are available to use. The one console I WILL NOT put in the basement is my '63 Executive in Italian Provincial. It's the centerpiece of my living room, and handles all audio chores with grace, and poise. I DO rotate it into my Dining room and swap in the '65 Futura (contemporary) or the 610/560 combo, at times. My 58 C-800 Contemporary MONO stays in the dining room. The '51 Coronet stays in my bedroom along with the 64 Custom Electra in Modern.

And all in a 1100 sqft rancher.

BTW; I approve of your cabinets for the 202-T and the SA-16. Making the Boxes for the speakers was Great Idea. Way better than most folks do.

"doesn't really set well with me.".........Some pieces just don't repurpose easily. This console did not have doors over the speakers, so once the speakers are removed, you're left with raw, unattractive openings on either side of the console. And it weighed way to much for the average repurposer to deal with. I do get what you are saying and thanks for kind comments on what I built.

Great work on the cabinets. They look really nice.

Do you have any before pictures of the intact console?

Good job DKinYORKpa. :thumbsup:

I only had a cabinet made for the tuner/preamp, but it was sooooo worth it.
We turned the console around to store kindling for the wood stove. It also has a chop saw bolted to the top.

index.php

index.php

Good work - waiting around to find a buyer for vintage 60s audio furniture in designs that our parents liked can be a losing battle ...
Putting the gear in pleasing cabinets and making use of them now sounds like a great way to save that iron from the scrapyard!

Sad fate for a Statesman. Funny thing is not 2 threads down someone is trying to restore this very same cabinet that sat outside...

Sad fate for a Statesman. Funny thing is not 2 threads down someone is trying to restore this very same cabinet that sat outside...
Its like real estate - its all about location, location, location ...

F.P. isn't really my thing either to be honest. I have a bit of a hard time trashing nice consoles, but if its a choice between hopefully finding a home at half it's value to someone who may very well pull the bits out and pulling the bits myself, I'll part it. Either way I'd be more concerned that some of it live on than all of it end up trashed. If you turned part of the console into the cabinet for the tuner, so much the better.

Pretty sure one in the picture above belongs to a member here.

I've moved a couple of restored consoles locally, including a French Provincial Fisher, but I understand to each their own.

Like Larry D. said above, the cases and cabinets look well done.

Nice work on the new cabinets. Consoles can take up a lot of room and I'm not real fond of the speakers in them.
A couple years back I had 3 consoles taking up a fair amount of room in one of my storage units. I removed the innards and gave 2 of the cabinets away. I left the speakers in one as the new owner was going to use it as a stereo cabinet. The third cabinet, which was a president, was sold to a person in San Diego. I had a hard time parting with that one. I swapped him the 400cx2 that was in it (had president on the front) for his mint 400cx2. He ended up with everything but the power amp. Everyone was happy and I didn't have to trash the cabinets. Only Fisher console cabinet I've trashed was a 68 President. Cheapest built behemoth of a cabinet I've ever seen.

WALYFD.This one was a '60 Premiere. Not a Statesman. The one in Post #11 was TheRed1's. He sold it I believe, to Jonboy55.

Back
Top Bottom