Frequency of getting pots cleaned

progger7

Hey all,

I have a Sansui 9090 (non DB version). The right channel is not working more than it is working. When it comes through is all scratchy. This happened before, I had the pots cleaned a couple years ago. Is it common for this to happen again so quickly? Anything I can do to have this not happen so often? New parts?

I don't know. I know he used Deoxit. Does your protocol with Red followed by Gold make it last longer? How?

DeOxit D-5 (RED) is a cleaner and degreaser. It works by softening the environmental sulfates that pollute the pot surfaces. Then Friction (exercising the pot end to end multiple times)cleans off the sulfates. Gold is a protectant that is good only for Gold contacts. Faderlube works better in that it has more lubricant (that the gold doesn't have much of) and protects non gold plated surfaces.

Yes, DeOxit will wear off eventually and the corrosion from the sulfates will start again. Yearly applications will minimize or prevent this.

Unless you have gold plated contacts in your gear, and the Sansui 9090 doesn't in the switches and pots, use D5 (RED) and Faderlube F-5(Green)

I don't want to start shilling for Deoxit or anything, but according to their information, it can be used with other metals besides gold:

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.292/.f

"DeoxIT® Gold G-Series - Contact Enhancer, Conditioner & Protector
(formerly ProGold)

DeoxIT® Gold (formerly ProGold), is a unique conditioning solution that improves conductivity and provides long-lasting protection on gold, base metals and other precious metal contacts and connections (gold, silver, rhodium, copper, bronze, nickel, etc.).

Use on plated connectors, contacts and metal surfaces for maximum performance and protection. "

But if this is misleading, and it's really only useful for gold, that would be good to know!

The problem with Gold is that it lacks the lubricant's that Faderlube has that needs to be replaced once D-5 has been used. Faderlube also protects, it's just GOLD HAS more of that with no or minimal lubricants. Carbon traces don't last long without lubricant.

I can see using Gold on a unit worth 5K or more or if it's built with all gold contacts, but carbon contacts work just fine on D-5 and F-5. I've been using these 2 for 15 years now without a failure on over 100 different amps, tuners, receivers from 1947 FISHER's thru 1980 PIONEER and most everything in between. Some pots and switches on my gear I go 18months or so but all my gear gets pretty much a quick spritz and a few rotations yearly.

But everyone has his favorites.

Pro tip: With a spare straw, put a 90 degree bend at the tip so you can aim the stuff around corners and under the pot. You can use the tip to hook the hole in the pot. Saves very expensive cleaner.

OK -- I thought for sure I read somewhere (probably somewhere on this site) that Faderlube was only for sliding controls, and shouldn't be used elsewhere, but if you've been using it for years, then that's apparently not entirely true -- this calls for more research on my part . . . ;)

If you work your controls regularly after cleaning you will not have a recurrance.

Enjoy,
Rich P

If you work your controls regularly after cleaning you will not have a recurrance.

This^

What I have been doing is rotating the volume and balance knob 3 times each direction BEFORE powering the unit up.
Then the first of every month I rotate ALL knobs and work ALL switches 5 times each, even on units that are not used regularly. Seems to be successful.

Also worth mentioning, folk seldom clean controls properly. Trick is to use low pressure spray from every available angle and work the pot repeatedly from center to each stop. Do it a few times, and all the crud from the entire contact surface should work it's way to the ends and beyond.

Oh, and be extremely careful on overspray with ANY cleaner - stuff can destroy face plates and meters ...

I would swear that the intervals between cleanings gets shorter each time I do it. And I exercise each control and switch 100 times.

If you work the controls regularly, you tend to maintain a clean contact path for each control. If you do not work them, they will tend to corrode, and need repeat cleaning. It is just the nature of the beast when you have mechanical controls.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back
Top Bottom